Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[BUG] PMS Can't Transcode Files with TrueHD audio and Doesn't Handle Error Gracefully

Hossy923Hossy923 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass
edited March 13 in Windows

I have a movie with a TrueHD audio track. Direct Stream / Direct Play works just fine to play the movie, but if I turn those off or if I attempt to play the movie on a device that doesn't support TrueHD (i.e. Plex would need to transcode the audio), the player just hangs. Doesn't matter what player it is: Roku, Web, Plex Media Player, Plex for Android. They all do the same thing. I think the Roku eventually kicks back an error playing the file, but that's it. Monitoring it with PlexPy/Tautulli, I never see the stream or transcode start. However, if I change the audio track to the AC3 stream, the movie immediately begins to play.

Am I correct in understanding that Plex Media Server for Windows cannot read (for transcoding) TrueHD audio streams and also doesn't handle the fact that it can't so it just locks up?

Is this an open bug somewhere? I would understand some audio streams not being supported, but I don't understand the lock up. PMS should return an error to the player like "Can't transcode unsupported audio stream" or something like that. Or better yet, change to a different audio stream of the same language and channels, if possible (or at least the same language).

Environment

Plex Media Server v1.12.0.4829
Windows Server 2012 R2

Logs: https://goo.gl/2Y5bKK

Posts I've Reviewed

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/224664/problem-with-mkv-file-including-true-hd-codec - says that TrueHD must be transcoded, but it appears PMS can't transcode it?

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/281486/eae-error-cannot-transcode-truehd-audio - This may be related, but not sure. Looks like it was referred to the Android (player?) team.

Answers

• Hossy923Hossy923 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass
    edited March 13

Comment moved to original post

edited March 13

Comment moved to original post

• garethrobsongarethrobson Members, Plex Pass Posts: 21 Plex Pass

I can confirm the same behaviour on my PMS.
    Playing a Movie with TrueHD audio in Transcode mode results in a never ending spinning wheel. Selecting the same movie but with AC3 5.1 works fine.

I see these lines in the log while the circle is spinning:

From Plex Media Server.1.log:
    Mar 13, 2018 08:29:38.002 [1700] ERROR - [Transcoder] [truehd_eae @ 0249a180] EAE timeout! EAE not running, or wrong folder? Could not read '\?\C:\Users\SVC_PlexMediaSvr\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Cache\Transcode\Sessions\EasyAudioEncoder\Convert to WAV (to 8ch or less)\9zacs1y12obqcbkdldleeq6m_4072-1-0.wav'
    Mar 13, 2018 08:29:38.017 [6328] ERROR - [Transcoder] [truehd_eae @ 0249a180] error reading output
    Mar 13, 2018 08:29:38.017 [6532] ERROR - [Transcoder] Error while decoding stream #0:1: I/O error

• FevidaFevida Members, Plex Pass Posts: 68 Plex Pass

Same problem here.

Transcoding TrueHD is not working. My server is running in a docker on UNRAID.

ERROR - [Transcoder] [truehd_eae @ 0x1c18d40] error reading output
    ERROR - [Transcoder] Error while decoding stream #0:1: Input/output error

Plex Media Player preview on: Intel NUC
    Plex for iOS on: iPad mini 3 & iPhone 6s
    Plex Media Server on: unRAID

Any Plex Employee want to comment on this?

• sPaCe MoNk3ysPaCe MoNk3y Members Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited May 18

Same problem here. Tried deleting Codecs folder which helped before (several versions, more than a year ago) but not now. I'm on Ubuntu, doesn't seem to be platform specific.

• jlruss9777jlruss9777 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

I have this same issue and encounter the " Conversion failed. A required codec could not be found or failed to install." error when trying to playback any files using the TrueHD sound file that seems corrected when selecting another Sound file for the video. Running on an Unraid Server. logs attached.

• jxbuddrigejxbuddrige Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

I have the same problem, just seen this post.

• mark_07mark_07 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

Yup same here