Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Keeps Renaming TV Show Episode Titles to "Episde 1", "Episde 2" etc.

kerlimann@gmail.comkerlimann@gmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass
edited March 14 in Windows

I have a German TV show with several Seasons and although I have named all the episodes according to the correct naming convention for TV shows (TV Shows/ShowName/Season XX/ShowName – sXXeYY – EpisodeTitle.ext), and I have manually changed the titles in the General tab (and locked it), Plex keeps renaming them back to "Episode 1", "Episode 2" etc. every time the library is re-scanned. Any suggestions on how I can make the manually entered titles stick? Btw., the search agent does recognize the show, since it has found the correct poster, but it forces generic titles vs. what I have manually entered and locked.

Answers

• kerlimann@gmail.comkerlimann@gmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass
    edited March 13

Btw, this does not happen when I add the episode as category "videos" vs. "TV Show", so it must be a search agent "issue".

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 30,880 Plex Ninja

Embedded metadata.

Go to Settings - Server - Agents - Shows - TheTVDB
    In there, grab the line 'Local Media Assets' with your mouse and drag it downwards, so it ends up being at the bottom of the stack of active agents.
    Repeat the same under
    Settings - Server - Agents - Shows - TheMovieDatabase
    +
    Settings - Server - Agents - Movies - Plex Movie
    +
    Settings - Server - Agents - Movies - TheMovieDatabase

Then perform 'Refresh Metadata' on the whole series.

Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging

I did what you recommended, however all the tiles are being renamed back to generic titles, i.e. Episode 1, Episode 2 etc. when there is a metadata refresh. I have a metadata editor (mp3tag) that also works for mp4 files. Which field contains the episode title metadata?

@kerlimann@gmail.com said:
    I have a metadata editor (mp3tag) that also works for mp4 files. Which field contains the episode title metadata?

Title would be the right one.

Could you post the content of the guid="xxxxxxxxx" from the Plex XML info of one affected episode?

guid="local://119756"
    I added the episode title to the field %title% in mp3tag, but that also didn't make any difference.

edited March 17

@kerlimann@gmail.com said:
    guid="local://119756"
    I added the episode title to the field %title% in mp3tag, but that also didn't make any difference.

This show is 'unmatched'. Which means that it doesn't even read embedded metadata.

1) reboot your Plex server machine
    2) make sure you are not adding your show to a movie library. It must be a tv show library.
    3) edit your tv show library, go to the 'Add Folders' tab and ensure that it only points to the folder TV Shows, not one level above or below.
    4) ensure your server has internet connection when you add new files
    5) perform the Plex Dance with the whole series