Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Server down, now back up, how do I notify those that are sharing?

carrot71carrot71 Members Posts: 9 ✭✭

I've looked for the answer for this seemingly simple question and found an answer that you go into the settings and click notify friends when server is down/up. My settings do not have that option, so how do I let my friends know I am back up? I can send each one an email, but that seems tedious.

Answers

• dirtycajunricedirtycajunrice Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 169 Plex Pass

Plex does not have this option naitively. This would be done with a monitoring program e.g. Tautulli

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

My Setup:
    Plex Media Server: Ubuntu 16.04 VM
    Servers: 2x R620 each with 2x Xeon E5-2670 @ 2.60GHz / 96GB RAM
    Storage (SAN): Ubuntu 16.04 using NFS with 160TB (192TB / 2 RAID6 Pools MDADM > LVM > EXT4)
    Clients: iOS, WebUI, Nvidia Shield, Roku

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5,061 Plex Pass

Or you could just use email. That function works pretty well for me for anything I need to communicate to a group of people.

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.” Philip K. Dic*k (This STUPID forum software does not allow a perfectly valid last name, hence the unusual looking formating)

From a High School paper on Greek Philosophers:
    "Socrates was a famous Greek teacher who went around giving people advice. They killed him. Socrates died from an overdose of wedlock."

@Elijah_Baley even using email, this is not native to plex. What are you trying to refer him to within plex for emails?

My Setup:
    Storage (SAN): Ubuntu 16.04 using NFS with 160TB (192TB / 2 RAID6 Pools MDADM > LVM > EXT4)

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5,061 Plex Pass

@dirtycajunrice said:
    @Elijah_Baley even using email, this is not native to plex. What are you trying to refer him to within plex for emails?

Nada. It is just that email is so easy and it is a tried and true communication tool that almost everyone uses. I really see no reason for any other solution.

To work with Plex a solution does not need to be a part of Plex at all.

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.” Philip K. Dic*k (This STUPID forum software does not allow a perfectly valid last name, hence the unusual looking formating)

From a High School paper on Greek Philosophers:
    "Socrates was a famous Greek teacher who went around giving people advice. They killed him. Socrates died from an overdose of wedlock."

edited March 13

@Elijah_Baley ohhh you are just saying to email everyone and have them on a "Mailing List" in your email client. Yeah that works at the most rudimentary level. I send out emails but i do it through programs that maintain my list for me. Everyone has a preference! haha.

@carrot71 I stick by my original statement though that if you want it to happen without your manual input you would need something listening and triggering a notify (whether through email or some other means)

My Setup: