Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Why is the android app slower at rewinding or fast forwarding than the Xbox 360 app?

orbitingfulorbitingful Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

When I use the Xbox 360 app, the content I watch feels more responsive and when I rewind the content it takes about a second for the video to resume playback. However when I do the same thing (rewind) in the android app, I have to wait for 3 seconds until the video resumes playback. Why does this happen? P.S. I've noticed the Kodi app is fast like the 360 but the controls are too small for my liking.

Answers

• dirtycajunricedirtycajunrice Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 169 Plex Pass

When you say the android app which device is running the android app? In addition is your xbox 360 connected the same way as the android app device? wired and wired or wired and wireless?

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

My Setup:
    Plex Media Server: Ubuntu 16.04 VM
    Servers: 2x R620 each with 2x Xeon E5-2670 @ 2.60GHz / 96GB RAM
    Storage (SAN): Ubuntu 16.04 using NFS with 160TB (192TB / 2 RAID6 Pools MDADM > LVM > EXT4)
    Clients: iOS, WebUI, Nvidia Shield, Roku

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 17,645 Plex Employee

This depends if the file is being direct played or transcoded by your server. If the file is being direct played, the player will have built up a cache so it can access the new spot in the video fast. If the file is being transcoded, there is no cache, so the player needs to wait for PMS to transcode the file and then transfer the data to the player. So your CPU and network will affect how long this takes.

• orbitingfulorbitingful Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

@dirtycajunrice said:
    When you say the android app which device is running the android app? In addition is your xbox 360 connected the same way as the android app device? wired and wired or wired and wireless?

My smartphone: Xiaomi Mi 5, running android 7.0. Both my smartphone and Xbox 360 are wireless.

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    This depends if the file is being direct played or transcoded by your server. If the file is being direct played, the player will have built up a cache so it can access the new spot in the video fast. If the file is being transcoded, there is no cache, so the player needs to wait for PMS to transcode the file and then transfer the data to the player. So your CPU and network will affect how long this takes.

On my android app I have set the quality as "play original quality" (I assume this is the same as direct play?).

P.S. my Xiaomi Mi 5 smartphone has 3GB of ram and a Snapdragon 820 (quad-core 2.15GHz).

@orbitingful

@MovieFan.Plex has a good point. When you look at the activity of the server during playback on each system do they both show Direct play? Even if you have play original quality checked it might not be capable.

My Setup:
    Storage (SAN): Ubuntu 16.04 using NFS with 160TB (192TB / 2 RAID6 Pools MDADM > LVM > EXT4)

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 17,645 Plex Employee

"play original quality" does not guarantee direct play. It only states it will use the same bitrate as the original. If the video cannot be direct played, it will be converted to a compatible codec with the same bitrate as the original. In the app settings, turn on the option to show the information overlay. Then while the video is playing, call up the OSD and look in the top left corner to see what it says. If it is not direct playing, there should be a reason why.

edited March 14

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    "play original quality" does not guarantee direct play. It only states it will use the same bitrate as the original. If the video cannot be direct played, it will be converted to a compatible codec with the same bitrate as the original. In the app settings, turn on the option to show the information overlay. Then while the video is playing, call up the OSD and look in the top left corner to see what it says. If it is not direct playing, there should be a reason why.

On my android device, I played the video.
    From my server, I went to status | now playing and it said the video was direct play. However the slow rewinding and fast forwarding still persist.
    Curiously asking, what would be the best format/container for video files on android devices? I am currently using MKV container.

@orbitingful said:
    From my server, I went to status | now playing and it said the video was direct play. However the slow rewinding and fast forwarding still persist.

Can you recreate the issue and provide me the logs from the app? Do you have a good internet connection? It could just be it hasn't downloaded enough of a buffer to perform the seeks quick enough. In the app, you should see a dimmed orange progress bar behind the regular progress bar. This is the buffer. As long as you are seeking within this area, it should be quick.

Curiously asking, what would be the best format/container for video files on android devices? I am currently using MKV container.

MKV is fine. The codec is what is more important. But if the file is direct playing, then your file is fine.

@MovieFan.Plex said:

@orbitingful said:

Can you recreate the issue and provide me the logs from the app? Do you have a good internet connection? It could just be it hasn't downloaded enough of a buffer to perform the seeks quick enough. In the app, you should see a dimmed orange progress bar behind the regular progress bar. This is the buffer. As long as you are seeking within this area, it should be quick.

I can see the buffer in the android app. When I fast forward within the buffer it is quick. However, when I rewind the dimmed orange progress bar (buffer) disappears / resets. This means that I can't immediately fast forward just after rewinding.

Regarding the logs: how much of them do you want me to provide and should I use network logging? All the information in the logs is in one large paragraph and isn't separate by line - is this OK for reading?

Thanks.

If there is a buffer, then it is transcoding something and needs to seek. If you seek backwards within the buffer it will be instant, but then needs to rebuild that buffer to the time you have set in your server settings (default 120 seconds i believe). If it is direct play you wont see an issue. Im pretty sure this is just how it is and there isnt a way around that.

My Setup: