Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

File naming for specials (For Stargate SG-1 in particular)

spamgrabsspamgrabs Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

I've got a couple specials for Stargate SG-1 that I can't get named right for Plex to download the metadata.

I've got the show sorting in DVD order.

I've got the last two movies (after season 10) ripped, and their files are in the Specials folder since The TVDB lists them there.

So for instance, I've got Stargate Continuum like this:

Stargate SG-1 > Specials > Stargate SG-1 - s10-e22.0 - Continuum.m4v

The TVDB lists this episode as DVD Season 10, and episode 22.0. I'm not sure if I'm using the "22.0" right in my file name.

I've tried moving the episode to the Season 10 folder as well, but that doesn't change anything.

Is there something I'm missing? Thanks.

Best Answers

• adamskoogadamskoog Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 2,551 Plex Ninja
    Accepted Answer

If you look at Stargate SG-1 on thetvdb.com in dvd order, it lists those 2 movies in Season 10.

See the fields DVD Season and DVD Episode Number here for the Ark of Truth for example.

From that the naming should be:
    Stargate SG-1 - s10e21 - The Ark of Truth.ext
    Stargate SG-1 - s10e22 - Continuum.ext

After adding the files, changing to DVD Order, and a Refresh Metadata on the show. I got this:

Accepted Answer

I had them in the Season 10 folder.

They didn't seem to pick up until I updated the metadata for the whole show, but that is likely because I just added it as a test with dummy files and had just switched it to DVD Order as I don't actually have the show on my server.

Answers

• rwofficerwoffice Members, Plex Pass Posts: 268 Plex Pass

I would try bypassing the DVD Order and just renaming Continuum to S00E08 like normal. Ark of Truth would be S00E07.

Probably wouldn't hurt to remove them from the Special directory and then put them back in there again to force the Plex Dance in the process.

• spamgrabsspamgrabs Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

Thanks for the reply @rwoffice

When I first set it up I did name them with those numbers (s00). But it didn't match them up since I'm sorting by DVD order.

Are you saying I'd have to use airing order to get these two to work perhaps then? If that's the case I'll leave it DVD and just enter the info myself since I'd rather have it in DVD order.

• rwofficerwoffice Members, Plex Pass Posts: 268 Plex Pass

I'm not saying that, I was just hoping it might solve the problem for you :)

I would just try renaming them to S00E08, S10E22 and S10E22.0, and then remove them from your plex and put them back again each time to force a rescan and see which one works.

To be honest, I've never seen something that looks like E22.0 before, but I never use DVD order for anything either.

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5,061 Plex Pass
    edited March 14

The movies belong in a folder named "Season 00" and the naming should be:
    Stargate SG-1 - s00e07 - The Ark of Truth.ext
    Stargate SG-1 - s00e08 - Continuum.ext

Edit: I think a folder named "Specials" should work as well.

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.” Philip K. Dic*k (This STUPID forum software does not allow a perfectly valid last name, hence the unusual looking formating)

From a High School paper on Greek Philosophers:
    "Socrates was a famous Greek teacher who went around giving people advice. They killed him. Socrates died from an overdose of wedlock."

@Elijah_Baley
    This seems to only work if I want to use Airing order, which I don't. I've already got ALL my episodes named and numbered according to DVD order so changing it now would be a huge pain.

Is there any way to use the DVD ordering that TVDB lists? I've tried a few ways and nothing seems to work.

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5,061 Plex Pass

@stangrabowski@outlook.com said:
    @Elijah_Baley
    This seems to only work if I want to use Airing order, which I don't. I've already got ALL my episodes named and numbered according to DVD order so changing it now would be a huge pain.

Is there any way to use the DVD ordering that TVDB lists? I've tried a few ways and nothing seems to work.

I haven't a clue about that. I just use the default ordering and I have fixed the file name to make it work right. I find that the DVD ordering is just too buggy to use. It seems to be another buggy unfinished Plex "feature."

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.” Philip K. Dic*k (This STUPID forum software does not allow a perfectly valid last name, hence the unusual looking formating)

From a High School paper on Greek Philosophers:
    "Socrates was a famous Greek teacher who went around giving people advice. They killed him. Socrates died from an overdose of wedlock."

@Elijah_Baley
    Thanks for the insight. I'll probably just add the info manually then to avoid re-naming 10 seasons of files. :)

• AmazingRando24AmazingRando24 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,121 Plex Pass

As a side note, FileBot is of great service in reorganizing DVD order vs. any other order. When it mismatches, you can just drag and drop the results on the right to line up with your files on the left.

Because it mostly pulls its match data from the same source as Plex, you can virtually guarantee it lines up when you finish working. SG-1 was also of particular issue for me, but when I learned you could just drag and drop to reorganize, it became a non-issue.

PMS Server: Intel i7-6700 16gb RAM Dedicated Windows 10 PC
    DVR Lineup: Dual HDHomeRun Extend Tuners
    NAS: Drobo 5n2-15tb / Drobo B800fs 24tb

"It's amazing what replacing one faulty network cable will do for your Plex performance!"

Accepted Answer

If you look at Stargate SG-1 on thetvdb.com in dvd order, it lists those 2 movies in Season 10.

See the fields DVD Season and DVD Episode Number here for the Ark of Truth for example.

From that the naming should be:
    Stargate SG-1 - s10e21 - The Ark of Truth.ext
    Stargate SG-1 - s10e22 - Continuum.ext

After adding the files, changing to DVD Order, and a Refresh Metadata on the show. I got this:

@adamskoog

Do you have those files in the "Specials" folder or in "Season 10"?

I've got my files named the same as you, just took them out, emptied trash, put them back, and re-scanned. I try to update the metadata for these two but still nothing comes up.

Accepted Answer

I had them in the Season 10 folder.

They didn't seem to pick up until I updated the metadata for the whole show, but that is likely because I just added it as a test with dummy files and had just switched it to DVD Order as I don't actually have the show on my server.

Finally got it to work!!

I removed the entire series. Re-scanned and emptied trash. Put it all back and let Plex do its dance after I updated SG-1 to DVD order. Took a bit but it finally got them all re-indexed and the metadata updated.

Both Ark of Truth and Continuum are FINALLY right.

And I must say... I've only been using Plex since December. While it's a pain at times, it seems the community here is very helpful. So that's a major plus.

Thanks everyone!!

Glad you got it working!