Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Newb to plex

vaudevillianvvaudevillianv Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

So I'm currently ordered all the parts I think I need.
I have 2 dell perc h310s cross flashed to it/ir mode.
I'm gonna use refs(file system) also windows storage spaces (parity) all on the perc's
Since parity write is slow I'm gonna put a 120gb ssd on each channel of the raid cards for write cache and 8tb nas drives on the remaining sata connectors of the raid cards. I picked up a syba 1x pcie card to stick another ssd on for the transcode drive.

Does this setup look good?

Side note this computer is gonna be my roaming profile server as well. the roaming profiles are using the on board sata ports same kind of setup as plex, just faster io.

Also last question. Do you need to buy the $150 plex pass for all devices or just the server?

Answers

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 30,880 Plex Ninja

You cannot use ReFS for the Plex data folder
    Make sure you retain one volume with pure NTFS.

I think RAID with SSD cache is overkill for the media storage.
    You are better off with DrivePool software and a separate NAS unit for backup copies.

Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • vaudevillianvvaudevillianv Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

@OttoKerner said:
    You cannot use ReFS for the Plex data folder
    Make sure you retain one volume with pure NTFS.

I think RAID with SSD cache is overkill for the media storage.
    You are better off with DrivePool software and a separate NAS unit for backup copies.

Plex is gonna be installed on the same drives as windows is on, 2 120 gb IBM enterprise ssd's in mirror. So your saying the media cant be on drives that are formatted with refs?

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 30,880 Plex Ninja
    edited March 14

@john@asylum-systems.com said:
    Plex is gonna be installed on the same drives as windows is on, 2 120 gb IBM enterprise ssd's in mirror. So your saying the media cant be on drives that are formatted with refs?

I am not talking about the media. I am talking about Plex's own data.
    ReFS has no support for hardlinks, which Plex is using heavily.

Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging