Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex in my Camper Offline

widsincwidsinc Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

Hello all,
So I have a Plex Media Server on my local network, works great. I recently bought a camper and I am looking to get Plex in the camper. Obviously Consistant Internet is going to be an issue so what I was hoping to do is have either an external Hard Drive or a Network Attached Storage Drive that I can run a sync on when I am back home and close enough to connect to my Local network (This part I can handle), what I'm hoping to do is have a drive that syncs when home, a PC with the PMS software installed that will work without internet and then a couple TV's with Firesticks in them working off a non internet connected network. (I know, I'm pushing it)

my question is...

1. Can I just install Plex server on a PC in the camper and play media offline or will Plex require the internet?
  2. Also can I use the same Plex account I have at home or will I need an additional account for the camper?

Thanks All
~Chris

Answers

• marcelhehlemarcelhehle Members, Plex Pass Posts: 448 Plex Pass

Plex will need the internet. It's a **** design that Plex introduced a while ago. They need an open network connection so that they can gather your personal data while you watch your content.

• widsincwidsinc Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

thanks for the response. I know I can locally sync stuff (depending what player I use) but I was really hoping to not have to just pick a handful of things for each trip, I would love to just have my 4 TB Library with me.

• flowflow Members, Plex Pass Posts: 740 Plex Pass
    Please note the Legal notice for the usage of Google Analytics in my Channels.
  • AmazingRando24AmazingRando24 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,121 Plex Pass

Are you looking to run a completely independent server in the Camper which has its own library and is self-contained? If so, Kodi may be a better solution.

I am pondering coming up with a similar solution for a camper with no internet.

PMS Server: Intel i7-6700 16gb RAM Dedicated Windows 10 PC
    DVR Lineup: Dual HDHomeRun Extend Tuners
    NAS: Drobo 5n2-15tb / Drobo B800fs 24tb

"It's amazing what replacing one faulty network cable will do for your Plex performance!"

edited March 14

@AmazingRando24 Thanks for the response, Why do you recommend Kodi?

As for independent server, I would prefer not to, but I am willing to if needed. I would love to just sync up data but I dont think it work because its will only talk to the PMS when its home.

• AmazingRando24AmazingRando24 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,121 Plex Pass
    edited March 14

Well, if you're planning on a single screen setup in a closed environment, that organizes your media and plays your files, then that's almost exactly what Kodi was designed for. It's actually a wonderful standalone media player, no internet necessary beyond initial setup or manual updates.

You would need the internet to scan and pickup your files for database matching, but once you have the info, you should theoretically be able to run offline with it. The video files will need to be stored on the unit or an external drive. Kodi wasn't designed to stream your files like Plex does anyway.

Where Plex kicks Kodi's proverbial behind is in the multi-use/remote department. If you're looking to watch things on more than one screen, or keep your media back home and access it remotely from the camper... then Kodi won't fill the need. Plex would, but internet is required.

PMS Server: Intel i7-6700 16gb RAM Dedicated Windows 10 PC
    DVR Lineup: Dual HDHomeRun Extend Tuners
    NAS: Drobo 5n2-15tb / Drobo B800fs 24tb

"It's amazing what replacing one faulty network cable will do for your Plex performance!"

Hmm, I definitely want to be able to play it on more than one TV. I will have to do some offline testing and see what works. Thanks for the input. If you @AmazingRando24 (or anyone else) thinks of anything else, its much appreciated.

• cayarscayars Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4,819 Plex Pass

Emby works much better for this. That or Kodi if you can setup two installations of Kodi pointing to the same files.

10.7K+ Movies, 435 Shows - 37K+ TV Episodes, 515 Christmas Movies, 480 Documentary, 335 3D Movies, 1300 Sports Events, 1280 Educational Videos, Premium Music: 215K+ Tracks, 900 GB Plex Meta-Data. 9 Network Tuners.
    Thread on my setup with some tips and tricks: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/131308/cayars-setup-walk-through-and-some-tips-and-tricks/p1