Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex does not work on my Home Network when the internet goes down

mom_deemom_dee Members Posts: 2

So I have pretty stable internet, But the other day it went down and I discovered that Plex would not work on the Home Network without the internet. That does not make any sense to me. Anyway I am not sure if there is a setting that I need to change in my router or if there is a Plex setting that needs to be changed? How do I get my Plex server to work on my Home network when the internet goes down?

Answers

• marcelhehlemarcelhehle Members, Plex Pass Posts: 448 Plex Pass

It's a **** design that Plex introduced a while ago. They need an open network connection so that they can gather your personal data while you watch your content.

• mom_deemom_dee Members Posts: 2

Are you saying there is no way to use plex without the internet when I need it the most?

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5,061 Plex Pass

If set correctly Plex works fine locally without internet. You need to set secure connections to preferred or off on your server and, for most clients, you need to set "allow insecure connections" to "on same network."

You will not have access to "Plex Home" functionality when Plex cannot connect to the mothership but you will be able to play any content on your local Plex server.

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.” Philip K. Dic*k (This STUPID forum software does not allow a perfectly valid last name, hence the unusual looking formating)

From a High School paper on Greek Philosophers:
    "Socrates was a famous Greek teacher who went around giving people advice. They killed him. Socrates died from an overdose of wedlock."