Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Movie listed twice with different titles

My movie folder suddenly started listing many of my movies twice with slightly different titles, as if different metadata is being used for each listing. I can't for the life of me figure this out. Is there any way to have Plex just read the filename? Here's what it looks like:

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• drzoidberg33drzoidberg33 Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 2,566 Plex Employee

Those are Collections. You can configure how those get displayed by editing the library and going to the Advanced section, see the support doc for more info: https://support.plex.tv/articles/201273953-collections/

• SkekTekSkekTek Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

I think the problem here, and I have been struggling with the same thing recently, is that Plex is for some reason creating a "collection" for every uploaded movie, even ones that are not supposed to have them. As a result, I had many duplicates of one-off movies in the alphabetical list. Whatever is doing this automatic add of new movies into unique collections in the software needs to stop. It's messing up our libraries.

• leelyndsleelynds Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,120 Plex Pass

@SkekTek said:
    I think the problem here, and I have been struggling with the same thing recently, is that Plex is for some reason creating a "collection" for every uploaded movie, even ones that are not supposed to have them. As a result, I had many duplicates of one-off movies in the alphabetical list. Whatever is doing this automatic add of new movies into unique collections in the software needs to stop. It's messing up our libraries.

The problem is probably the ridiculous collection info that The Movie Database has. Almost every movie is added to a collection of some sort, based on rumours there might be a sequel, etc. You can disable the collection info from the Movie Database by editing the library in the advanced section. Unfortunately, Plex will hold onto that collection information that it has already grabbed, so the unwanted collections will have to be deleted manually.

I think that option was enabled by default at one time, I disbled that option some time ago because the amount of collections were... well, just stupid. I'm not sure, but you may have to disable that option in the agents setting on the server too.

• adamfwheeleradamfwheeler Members Posts: 2

Thanks everyone for the help. I see now that those are collections. No idea why they're being created and the only way I can get rid of them is to disable collections altogether. I've tried unchecking "use collection info from The Movie Database" in all its locations but that didn't work, I tried deleting the collection "tag" on the video itself, I tried "hiding videos which are in collections" but that just removes the video not the collection, etc. etc.

So I guess I have to just live without collections. One thing I did notice was these unwanted collections are all being made for movies that I ripped from my own DVDs with DVDFab9. There must be some metadata somewhere in the file that I can't find that Plex insists on using. If anyone has any idea where that might be and how to get rid of it let me know. Thanks!