Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Problem streaming 4K content

flaviosantiniflaviosantini Posts: 34Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Since 2 weeks ago (probably due to some upgrade) I can't stream 4K titles to either Chromecast or AppleTV. Important to note it was working fine before, like this:

• streaming 4k to Chromecast (Direct Streaming Video, Converting Audio as the original Audio was either DD TrueHD or DTS-MA)
  • streaming to AppleTV (Converting Audio and Video since most of my files are MKV).

Then, out of the blue, I started having issues where all 4K titles won't play for longer than a few seconds. I do not get any error message, it just seem to stop when playing on Chromecast (my preferred method as I can stream 4K content with no video conversion at all) and those files won't even start playing on AppleTV.

What is really strange is that each file has its own "sweet spot" to stop playing:
Coco always stops at 14 seconds
Thor Ragnarok at 47 seconds
Daddy's Home 2 at 30 something seconds

But each movie will stop at the exact same spot as before.

I've already tried to uninstall PMS and install an older version but with no luck.

I'm attaching here the Logs I generated from my latest attempt.

Please Plex people, help me out on this one!

Thanks,

Flavio Santini

Answers

• himwithnonamehimwithnoname Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

What encoding are you using? Many have posted that you need to use H264 and MP4 encoding to get this to work.
    I don't have much luck with H265 but can use 4k H264 without issues as mkvs or mp4s.

• flaviosantiniflaviosantini Posts: 34Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Direct Stream for videos HEVC. This always worked fine until 2 weeks ago.

• JBC-PlexJBC-Plex Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I had perfect streaming to iOS on iPhone X up until server version 1.11.0.4666, then after that, completely broken. I've since rolled back to 1.11.0.4666, and now it's fine again. I maintain a test server with 1 HEVC file to test new releases on, and nothing since 1.11.0.4666 has worked at all.