If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Does Rasplex run on other Hardware?

buttabeanbuttabean Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Has anyone tried running it on other hardware other than pi? I love rasplex but the pi is getting dated with no hardware h265 acceleration. I'm running a pi 2 and at this point would rather upgrade to something with 265 than the newly announced pi3 b which doesn't have h265. I'm guessing the pi 4 will have h265 next year.

vero 4k possibly?

Happy pi day!

Answers

• dirtycajunricedirtycajunrice Posts: 169Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Rasplex is designed for ARM architecture CPUs. If you plan on installing it on another ARM processor bound device, i dont see an issue.

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

My Setup:
    Plex Media Server: Ubuntu 16.04 VM
    Servers: 2x R620 each with 2x Xeon E5-2670 @ 2.60GHz / 96GB RAM
    Storage (SAN): Ubuntu 16.04 using NFS with 160TB (192TB / 2 RAID6 Pools MDADM > LVM > EXT4)
    Clients: iOS, WebUI, Nvidia Shield, Roku

• philpondphilpond Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Check out the Odroid C2, H265 hardware decoder and from what I've read will run Rasplex. I've no personal experience of it though.

• buttabeanbuttabean Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

nice! I was in rock64 irc channel earlier. It seems Kwiboo has been developing on the rock64 hardware platform and is working slowly on implementing it into OpenPHT v2.

I think i might give the c2 a try or go with the rock64. Decisions decisions. The c2 is reasonably priced and it seems the only issue is the lack of pcm surround sound.

The Rock64 would require rewriting to get it working correct. From the sounds of things it seems the Rock64 will be supported when OpenPHT v2 is released .

Thanks guys for the info. Maybe I should wait a few more months and see if OpenPHT v2 gets released at this point.

• cossack1977cossack1977 Posts: 104Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@buttabean said:
    nice! I was in rock64 irc channel earlier. It seems Kwiboo has been developing on the rock64 hardware platform and is working slowly on implementing it into OpenPHT v2.

I think i might give the c2 a try or go with the rock64. Decisions decisions. The c2 is reasonably priced and it seems the only issue is the lack of pcm surround sound.

The Rock64 would require rewriting to get it working correct. From the sounds of things it seems the Rock64 will be supported when OpenPHT v2 is released .

Thanks guys for the info. Maybe I should wait a few more months and see if OpenPHT v2 gets released at this point.

Kwiboo is still active? there hasn't been a post on forums or github in several months.

• videotecaCNSUvideotecaCNSU Posts: 368Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Not only that, the certificates for openpht have expired
    Not a good sign

• benjaminwolfbenjaminwolf Posts: 993Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

.> @cossack1977 said:

@buttabean said:

Kwiboo is still active? there hasn't been a post on forums or github in several months.

Kwiboo has been working on the mentioned rock64 project that benefits upstream code and Plex official clients as well. There are plans to release a new OpenPHT v2 version later this year with new hardware support.

Enjoy Rasplex/OpenPHT? Consider dropping some bones into our development war chest! $25, $10, $5, or even $1 helps. All donations go toward development expenses so our volunteers spend less out of pocket. rasplex.com

• Jacob BækJacob Bæk Posts: 59Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I hope to see an update to the C2, the playback is often a bit out of sync, sometimes i stops but sound and subtirles continues and time to time alot of artifacts on screen when starting a video. Im just happy to see the project aint dead.. there are of course no other great alternative to what you guys have created. Thanks alot.

• benjaminwolfbenjaminwolf Posts: 993Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Jacob Bæk said:
    I hope to see an update to the C2, the playback is often a bit out of sync, sometimes i stops but sound and subtirles continues and time to time alot of artifacts on screen when starting a video. Im just happy to see the project aint dead.. there are of course no other great alternative to what you guys have created. Thanks alot.

The C2 code was still immature compared to other clients when it was merged into OpenPHT. Any new releases will benefit from the new C2 code in upstream projects. I'm in the same boat. I really like my C2 and Wetek Hub, but the code for both of them is older and had bugs external to OpenPHT when it was merged into 1.8.

Enjoy Rasplex/OpenPHT? Consider dropping some bones into our development war chest! $25, $10, $5, or even $1 helps. All donations go toward development expenses so our volunteers spend less out of pocket. rasplex.com

• RooDBwoYRooDBwoY Posts: 9Members ✭✭
    edited April 24

I’ve been rocking an Odroid C2 for a few weeks now that I’ve taken the plunge into 4K territory. It’s a cracking little device, in that you can run OpenPHT/RasPlex on it and gain not only 4K video but also retain all the HD audio formats in proper pass through mode. My only beef is that while 4K video plays flawlessly, there’s no HDR support so the video looks all washed out as it can’t do the correct colour space or read the metadata. Most 4K rips are proper HDR ones so until that is sorted it’s actually no good for decent 4K viewing. Such a shame as it’d be the perfect device otherwise!

I’ve found that lip sync is quite a bit of an issue but as previously stated, it looks like dev work has either ceased on the current version or the folks are pouring all their effort into a brand new release, which will hopefully support newer hardware.

RooDBwoy,

thanks for the honest review. I think at this point it's probably best to wait on a hardware upgrade until openPHT 2.0 is released. I see they did release an embedded version.

I also saw asrock released a intel nuc board. That might be worth pursuing.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/J5005-ITX/index.asp

edited April 30

I ended up ordering a rasberry pi 3b+ from pishop with the official power supply. I just couldn't find any one box solution for 3d and a streamer that could do netflix dolby decoding via pcm. Everything out there has at least a CON. And the fact 3D is pretty much dead, you won't find much support for it outside the open source community when it comes to plex. So I think I'm just going to use it in combination with either a roku ultra or a firetv( with kodi) for dolby decoding to pcm and 4k content. I'm sure everything will be much more mature in a years time.(ala OpenPHT 2.0)

I'll let you guys know how much of a difference there is between the 3B+ and the rasberry pi 2. I'm thinking the gigabit might help with caching.

I also tried my brother's appletv. it seems nice with excellent hardware but you need an ios device to cast and that's a deal breaker for me. The infuse app worked well for direct play on everything but 3D since that's locked down.

Vive la Rasplex!

• cossack1977cossack1977 Posts: 104Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 4

@buttabean said:
    I ended up ordering a rasberry pi 3b+ from pishop with the official power supply. I just couldn't find any one box solution for 3d and a streamer that could do netflix dolby decoding via pcm. Everything out there has at least a CON. And the fact 3D is pretty much dead, you won't find much support for it outside the open source community when it comes to plex. So I think I'm just going to use it in combination with either a roku ultra or a firetv( with kodi) for dolby decoding to pcm and 4k content. I'm sure everything will be much more mature in a years time.(ala OpenPHT 2.0)

I'll let you guys know how much of a difference there is between the 3B+ and the rasberry pi 2. I'm thinking the gigabit might help with caching.

I also tried my brother's appletv. it seems nice with excellent hardware but you need an ios device to cast and that's a deal breaker for me. The infuse app worked well for direct play on everything but 3D since that's locked down.

Vive la Rasplex!

can't wait for your review. I've got the RPI2b and other then power outs have never powered it down since launch day. Plays everything other then h.265 without an issue.
    Shame the 3B+ had no major updates, still doesn't do h.265, HDR, 10bit and the gigabit network runs through the usb2.0 so is heavily throttled (think it's only like 300)

Can't wait for Kwiboo so have the ROCK64 up and running with Plex, that is exactly what i'm looking for hardware wise.