Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

New Chromecast App

Comments

• Jynx2120Jynx2120 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass

@erikandash said:
    @Jynx2120 - not sure to what extent this matters, but I'm running PMS on macOS. Maybe there are different version numbers depending on the OS? Anyways, like I said, I'm on the latest version and checking for updates confirms I'm up to date. What am I missing?
    Just to confirm - the android plex app v6.14.1 is the one from feb 28th, and hasn't been updated since. I believe that was what you were saying? It wasn't clear if you were saying that the android plex app version was my issue.

All OS update versions of PMS are the same V1.12.1.4885 as of currently. You can confirm this on the download page. The only reason I posted version numbers in response to you is because the version numbers you posted originally are different than what is the current.

@erikandash said: "My Android Plex app is v6.15.1.3753 is the latest from the play store (feb 28).
    My PMS version is 1.4.2.3400 (update channel "Plex Pass") - has it updated recently?... "

As for the Android app I'm not sure when the last update was, it could have been the 28th of Feb I was just noting when I checked lol. The good thing is however, I don't think the app has anything to do with the issue. Just my thoughts.

Lastly, my advise would be to go and manually check the PLEX download page as well as the Play Store to see if you truly are up to date.

• erikandasherikandash Members, Plex Pass Posts: 38 Plex Pass
    edited March 23

Yup, per my last post moments before yours, I did the manual force update, and that resolved my issues, the functional ones that is... thanks so much for your help!

• Dom CDom C Plex Employee Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,232 Plex Employee

Sorry, it's been overnight over here :smiley:

that it accessing a web app of sorts, and the update is done on the hosting server for that platform.

Exactly. If you care for the gory details, the chromecast app (receiver) is a hosted web application. We associate an application ID with a web address with Google and when an app (Android, web, iOS) asks to load stuff on a Chromecast it indicates that ID, the Chromecast then fetches the app from plex.tv.

(It still loads media from your local PMS, without going via the internet, to be clear).

Anyway, long version of saying - yes, we update this on plex.tv and your Chromecast should 'just work'.

It's objectively hideous now, but at least it's working.

We're chatting over options for the first, and I'm very glad about the second :sweat_smile:

• mjwchapmanmjwchapman Members Posts: 2

Thanks for fixing. However you really shouldn't be breaking user functionality when the user believes they haven't updated anything. Perhaps version the webapp like a rest endpoint, i.e. stick a verson number in the url, and allow users to choose to update.

But regardless of all that I'm very happy it's all working again as I couldn't be without my plex for too long ;-)

• fiskerendkfiskerendk Members, Plex Pass Posts: 51 Plex Pass

This fix unfortunally dont fix the problem regarding lag/stutter experienced after this update.
    Also the bahaveier for Quality settings is different. Before it worked with setting a standard setting of like 3Mbit for remote streaming. But now it always use Original quality, and needed to be set every time a new title is started.

I have uploaded my server logs Dom C in the other thread.

• Dom CDom C Plex Employee Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,232 Plex Employee

But now it always use Original quality, and needed to be set every time a new title is started.

Looking into this now. What controller are you using?

• fiskerendkfiskerendk Members, Plex Pass Posts: 51 Plex Pass

@Dom C said:

But now it always use Original quality, and needed to be set every time a new title is started.

Looking into this now. What controller are you using?

Plex for iOS 4.26

• asjmcguireplexasjmcguireplex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 121 Plex Pass

@mjwchapman said:
    Thanks for fixing. However you really shouldn't be breaking user functionality when the user believes they haven't updated anything. Perhaps version the webapp like a rest endpoint, i.e. stick a verson number in the url, and allow users to choose to update.

But regardless of all that I'm very happy it's all working again as I couldn't be without my plex for too long ;-)

There is no ability to do that. When you register with Google to create a Chromecast app - all you can do is tell Google what the HTTPS address is to reach it. Plex like most devs probably have a production Chromecast app and a development Chromecast app. There is no ability to version either of them though. When you choose to cast an app - the Chromecast receives an app ID - eg "06ee44ee-e7e3-4249-83b6-f5d0b6f07f34" the Chromecast asks Google where to find this app and Google respond with the URL (I do know the Plex URL but I'd better not post it) and the Chromecast goes directly to this URL. The Chromecast is not really anything more than a stripped down Chrome browser running in full screen mode. The only way that Plex could do any sort of versioning with the system Google have created would be to have multiple Plex apps - one for each version. But I'm not convinced Google would be thrilled about that and would complain about duplicate submissions to the Chromecast directory.

ALL Chromecast apps work this way, with the possible exception of Netflix - which in the early days was actually built in to the Chromecast, it's not known if Netflix is still built in or if it is now pulled from the internet on demand.

Thanks! I can reproduce the issue of the wrong quality getting set. Looking into it.

• doumerdoumer Members, Plex Pass Posts: 84 Plex Pass

Love the new Chromecast look! Thanks a lot for the update!

• Deniska77Deniska77 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 180 Plex Pass
    edited March 24

After new update for Chromecast now it is impossible to use Chromecast with channels (plugins).... so for example no way to play iptv via Chromecast using iptv.bundle, and so on.

Mess Plex update for Chromecast !! This upgrade is not for Chromecast it’s against Chromecast users!!

See another forum branch

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/314519/new-plex-app-on-chromecast-stuck-on-loading#latest

Need fix for channels via Chromecast ASAP!

Another problem with Chromecast : impossible to use hardware iPhone volume set via hardware button or general volume panel for Chromecast volume in time when Chromecast is playing.
    The general volume setup is only for application , and Chromecast volume we can change only using volume setup of Plex application.

• SeNeOSeNeO Members, Plex Pass Posts: 15 Plex Pass

I still have an error every time I try to play something on my chromecast. Only few videos can be played.
    I tried to update the chromecast app by restarting my chromecast but I'm still getting an error.
    Even setting secure connection do disabled does not work.
    Any idea?

@SeNeO said:
    I still have an error every time I try to play something on my chromecast. Only few videos can be played.
    I tried to update the chromecast app by restarting my chromecast but I'm still getting an error.
    Any idea?

Try to restart plex server computer first.

• Kyle VerryKyle Verry Members, Plex Pass Posts: 426 Plex Pass
    edited March 24

@SeNeO said:
    Any idea?

And restart your network.....cover all the bases. ;)

Server: MacMini (Late 2012); 2.3 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, SSD
    Storage: 2 x Terramaster; 5 x 8TB Seagate Drives, 2 8TB RAID 1 (16TB)
    Network: Full Unifi Network (3 switches, 2 AP-HDs, USG), Frontier FiOS 100MB/110MB
    Plex Users: 15 users; United States, El Salvador, Spain
    Devices: Mostly Android (20+ devices) and a few iOS products, 9 Chromecasts, 2 Shields, and some Chrome access

• ProZsoltProZsolt Members Posts: 1

@Kyle Verry said:

@SeNeO said:
    Any idea?

And restart your network.....cover all the bases. ;)

For me the media server update fixed it. I set the secure connection to prefered.

• ChristianoFarChristianoFar Members Posts: 8 ✭✭

I'm still having 3 issues after looking though all the responses and solutions here.

1: I can't cast any media though plex. I get "Loading: Playback will begin in a moment". and the circle runs for awhile until it gives an error.

2: Not sure this is related to above, but when casting Plex, I get a screen that says "Ready to Cast", but when I open a TV show or Movie folder on plex, the casted screen does not update to show what I've selected, or display the photo and description of the show as it used to.

3: I can't gain a direct connection to plex on my phone anymore, all devices connected to the same LAN. I can only get direct connection, and I can't cast to my chromecast from my android phone.

All these issues only occurred after the last update. When or how will this be fixed?

• sha256sha256 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 184 Plex Pass

Hi Plex devs, I think there's a problem. We went from having beautiful, curated album art on our large HDTVs, to having a grey smudge. This has to be a mistake; surely it couldn't have been intentional to go from "beautiful background images that we chose" to "greyish smudges that shift patterns slightly when you choose different items"

I filed a question about that here, too. Please let us know when this can be fixed; I am having difficulty accepting that such a silly change was intentional

edited March 25

HLS is supported by Chromecast according to this reference:

https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/media
    ————
    Delivery methods and adaptive streaming protocols

These are available through use of the Media Player Library, or you may use your own player library.

• MPEG-DASH
      *PlayReady (Security Level 2000)
      * Widevine (Level 1)

• SmoothStreaming
      *PlayReady (Security Level 2000)

• HTTP Live Streaming (HLS)
      * AES-128 encryption
      * Raw MP3 segments can be part of an HLS media playlist

• Progressive download without adaptive switching (using the HTML media element only)

With adaptive bitrate streaming protocols, you must implement CORS. To implement an encrypted protocol, including DRM, you should develop a Custom Receiver. See DRM support for more information.

———————

Why PLEX channels doesn’t work with Chromecast?

• GothikaGothika Members Posts: 1

I still have the error "something went wrong" when I try to cast any video, from browser or android app. This is driving me crazy for two days and it's frustrating. I tried restart my network, reset my Chromecast, set the secure connection even to disable, I tried all this solutions hundreds of times, still getting the same error. Before the update everything always worked fine.

Could someone help me? Thank you.