Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

New Chromecast App

Comments

• fiskerendkfiskerendk Posts: 51Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I vote for a roll back of the chromecast app. Giving the Plex development team more time to test and fix the many errors occurred after this update. Ofcourse production is the best test environment, but not the most practical one

• Deniska77Deniska77 Posts: 179Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 25

@fiskerendk said:
    I vote for a roll back of the chromecast app. Giving the Plex development team more time to test and fix the many errors occurred after this update. Ofcourse production is the best test environment, but not the most practical one

Nobody from developers will hear us and nobody will not even make fixes!!
    Chromecast will die like “Plex Cloud” for new “Plex Pass” members!

• Kyle VerryKyle Verry Posts: 426Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Deniska77 said:

@fiskerendk said:

I know it might seem that way, but they made a day one change already for the Secure Connections issue. That's impressive frankly.

But I understand the frustration. Plex is critical to me and my family too. According to Plex Py, we have over a thousand plays a day, mostly music, but also 35+ video per day on average!!

Anyways, totally be irritated, I would be too, but I just wanted to mention they actually heard something on this thread, and fixed it within 24 hours, so there is hope.

Server: MacMini (Late 2012); 2.3 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, SSD
    Storage: 2 x Terramaster; 5 x 8TB Seagate Drives, 2 8TB RAID 1 (16TB)
    Network: Full Unifi Network (3 switches, 2 AP-HDs, USG), Frontier FiOS 100MB/110MB
    Plex Users: 15 users; United States, El Salvador, Spain
    Devices: Mostly Android (20+ devices) and a few iOS products, 9 Chromecasts, 2 Shields, and some Chrome access

edited March 25

@Kyle Verry said:

@Deniska77 said:

@fiskerendk said:

I know it might seem that way, but they made a day one change already for the Secure Connections issue. That's impressive frankly.

But I understand the frustration. Plex is critical to me and my family too. According to Plex Py, we have over a thousand plays a day, mostly music, but also 35+ video per day on average!!

Anyways, totally be irritated, I would be too, but I just wanted to mention they actually heard something on this thread, and fixed it within 24 hours, so there is hope.

Chromecast is working ok for music, films and so on, if not check your server and computer and router. Also may be you have a problem with speed of computer, because now I think they transcoding sound for every movie!

But there is big problem after last update with Channel (plugins) via Chromecast for example for iptv.

Also Live TV and DVR and news impossible to play via Chromecast and also News, but I think Live TV, DVR, News problem with Chromecast were before last update. This three services also developers have to make possible play via Chromecast.

edited March 25

@Deniska77 said:

@Kyle Verry said:

@Deniska77 said:

@fiskerendk said:

Chromecast is working ok for music, films and so on, if not check your server and computer and router. Also may be you have a problem with speed of computer, because now I think they transcoding sound for every movie!

But there is big problem after last update with Channel (plugins) via Chromecast for example for iptv.

Also Live TV and DVR and news impossible to play via Chromecast and also News, but I think Live TV, DVR, News problem with Chromecast were before last update. This three services also developers have to make possible play via Chromecast.

Yes, agreed, works perfect for me as well. I haven't tried the Live TV (no antenna gets anything at my house), but I was trying to give hope to those thinking that something wouldn't be fixed. ;)

I hope it gets resolved quickly.

Network: Full Unifi Network (3 switches, 2 AP-HDs, USG), Frontier FiOS 100MB/110MB
    Devices: Mostly Android (20+ devices) and a few iOS products, 9 Chromecasts, 2 Shields, and some Chrome access

edited March 25

@Kyle Verry said:

@Deniska77 said:

@Kyle Verry said:

@Deniska77 said:

@fiskerendk said:

Yes, agreed, works perfect for me as well. I haven't tried the Live TV (no antenna gets anything at my house), but I was trying to give hope to those thinking that something wouldn't be fixed. ;)

I hope it gets resolved quickly.

Do you believe that developers fix at least Channels with Chromecast in 24 working hours?:)

• AronM28AronM28 Posts: 2Members

+1

Completely broken for me as well since the update.

Using the latest PMS, Android App, multiple restarts of my Chromecast, changing secure connection setting and restarting server, restarted network etc etc

Not able to cast anything from the app or via Chrome tab.

And the grey UI is horrible too! Not the best of updates. :/

@Gothika said:
    I still have the error "something went wrong" when I try to cast any video, from browser or android app. This is driving me crazy for two days and it's frustrating. I tried restart my network, reset my Chromecast, set the secure connection even to disable, I tried all this solutions hundreds of times, still getting the same error. Before the update everything always worked fine.

Could someone help me? Thank you.

• Chris TeasdaleChris Teasdale Posts: 141Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 26

One change I was hoping to see but didn't happen is with "Auto-Play". Plex Chromecast still defaults to Auto-Play ON instead of respecting the setting from the device casting to it. Is this even considered a bug/problem or is it considered a feature? Just because I watch one episode of a TV show doesn't mean I want to keep watching every episode automatically. Am I the only one bothered by this? Thanks

edited March 26

@Chris Teasdale said:
    One change I was hoping to see but didn't happen is with "Auto-Play". Plex Chromecast still defaults to Auto-Play ON instead of respecting the setting from the device casting to it. Is this even considered a bug/problem or is it considered a feature? Just because I watch one episode of a TV show doesn't mean I want to keep watching every episode automatically. Am I the only one bothered by this? Thanks

I was FURIOUS about this a year (or so) ago when it became a "feature." Man, it bothered me so much. Seriously...in 2018, we can not watch ONE show. A million? Sure, but not one. Actually, we can't watch a million because it cuts off. And further still, the reason they stop the Auto Play after 8 episodes (or whatever the exact length is) is because "they don't want to disrupt watch count" (paraphrase from memory) according to some Plex devs. My wife sleeps with the TV on, despite my preference, and always wanted to have a huge playlist to fall asleep and eventually wake up too. But nope, can't do that because of "watched status" yet it's impossible to simply watch one show....where's the "Watched Status" excuse now?

Ha ha, whoops. you opened up a can of butt hurt from me. But I agree! Just respect the player's setting, even if default is on. Or, just have a Chromecast Web-App Setting's screen and have settings like this there. That is IDEAL since everyone wins.

@Chris Teasdale said:

What is “Auto-Play”? Several track or films non stop one by one?
    It have to be a option I think.

edited March 26

Who can’t play anything, you have android or iOS App or you play Chromecast from Chrome browser ?

Who can’t play to Chromecast at all there is a option to change play quality via application. Do you try to decrease quality or make it original?
    I also have a problem with Dolby Digital plus track. Plex transcoded it to Dolby Digital because I have only optical out and it’s great, but because of I don’t have for know powerful computer ( core 2 quad) transcoding work with lags when goes to Chromecast or Sony Smart TV, probably because Chromecast and Smart tv also not very powerful. But if I decrease quality it became ok.( but need decrease everytyme before I want to cast it or smart tv play, I don’t know why system can’t memory quality setting.

But if it play on my iPhone 7 without Chromecast I see great quality, because iPhone 7 has powerful processor or because iPhone 7 has only two channel audio of Dolby digital plus.

I have iOS, but I also try to play from chrome on iOS and from windows.
    Even my computer don’t have WiFi Chromecast work from chromе.

But problem with plex channel is destroyed me.....
    And also there is no way to use hardware button on iPhone for change volume to Chromecast.

• ryanjoachimryanjoachim Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I would love to know how any of you (on android) are managing to cast from your android device to Chromecast. Every device to any Chromecast starts the video with it transcoding UP to 20mbps. The videos are nowhere near that quality originally.

Sometimes I'm able to switch the quality back to "original", but most often I'm not. This issue only happens on Android devices TO the Chromecast, both 1st Gen and the Ultra Chromecasts.

Since all of my non-living room areas are Chromecasts, this issue basically makes Plex useless to my family. I'm already looking into alternatives, but I would love to hear a solution for this issue after so long.

@ryanjoachim said:
    I would love to know how any of you (on android) are managing to cast from your android device to Chromecast. Every device to any Chromecast starts the video with it transcoding UP to 20mbps. The videos are nowhere near that quality originally.

Sometimes I'm able to switch the quality back to "original", but most often I'm not. This issue only happens on Android devices TO the Chromecast, both 1st Gen and the Ultra Chromecasts.

Since all of my non-living room areas are Chromecasts, this issue basically makes Plex useless to my family. I'm already looking into alternatives, but I would love to hear a solution for this issue after so long.

I'm on all clients, but primarily Android. Casting works 100% of the time for my server, both on and off network, in three countries. Both in transcoding and direct play/stream. Including 1080p and below. I can't tell a quality difference from a week ago, so it seems the same to me (short of the questionable UI).

• Dom CDom C Plex Employee Posts: 1,232Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Phew. Lots of feedback and woes over the weekend :sweat_smile:

Can I ask (nicely?) that if you still have issues with playback that you see if there is a dedicated forum post for it, and create one if not? That will be best way for us to support you and get things running again.

Hopefully I can cover the other issues here for now:
    - Auto play: the option is now respected from web, but Android and iOS will need a client update that should happen soon
    - Grey backgrounds: these are intentional, but we realise they're controversial and we're chatting with our design folk about the issues
    - Channel content: HLS channels will not currently cast. I tried to enable this just before launch, but it didn't work out. We hope to have something fixed here soon
    - Original quality on android: We have a fix for this locally that's in review now. Finger's crossed for a release on that one this week
    - Hardware button on iPhone: I thought (but could be wrong) that this was a hardware constraint. Do other cast apps allow this?

the reason they stop the Auto Play after 8 episodes ...

Is a controversial and long argued heuristic :sweat_smile: - https://support.plex.tv/articles/202605013-play-queue-post-play-screen/ - I literally, minutes ago, was answering another forum post asking why the stopping of autoplay no longer worked, and they'd missed a season and a half of Arrested Development.

Anyway, again, if you want the best chance of support in here, I'd strongly suggest new threads in the forum. Thanks!

edited March 26

@Dom C said:
    Phew. Lots of feedback and woes over the weekend :sweat_smile:

Can I ask (nicely?) that if you still have issues with playback that you see if there is a dedicated forum post for it, and create one if not? That will be best way for us to support you and get things running again.

Hopefully I can cover the other issues here for now:
    - Auto play: the option is now respected from web, but Android and iOS will need a client update that should happen soon
    - Grey backgrounds: these are intentional, but we realise they're controversial and we're chatting with our design folk about the issues
    - Channel content: HLS channels will not currently cast. I tried to enable this just before launch, but it didn't work out. We hope to have something fixed here soon
    - Original quality on android: We have a fix for this locally that's in review now. Finger's crossed for a release on that one this week
    - Hardware button on iPhone: I thought (but could be wrong) that this was a hardware constraint. Do other cast apps allow this?

the reason they stop the Auto Play after 8 episodes ...

Is a controversial and long argued heuristic :sweat_smile: - https://support.plex.tv/articles/202605013-play-queue-post-play-screen/ - I literally, minutes ago, was answering another forum post asking why the stopping of autoplay no longer worked, and they'd missed a season and a half of Arrested Development.

Anyway, again, if you want the best chance of support in here, I'd strongly suggest new threads in the forum. Thanks!

DOM C, about hardware volume iPhone buttons ( main volume)
    Hardware volume button on iPhone works for Chromecast volume in most of Chromecast support application. It means not only hardware button. If you swipe from the buttom you see panel with main center of iPhone settings, general volume set is also here dublicate hardware button. So, it is software setup.

Most application YouTube , nPlayer plus and many others work with Chromecast with main volume set

So, after Chromecast start to work with content (video and audio) main iPhone , iPad volume (hardware button or software panel set) works as a Chromecast volume and show Chromecast volume progress bar.

In case of surround sound, after change main buttom Chromecast software write on screen that it is surround sound and impossible to change volume, but it shows same blue volume bar.

Plex now working with Chromecast volume same way, but only if you change by touch bar inside the plex application. So the main volume after Chromecast start do nothing and don’t change volume inside the app, and you only can change the bar inside the app to change volume of Chromecast. Is it clear?

But google home and google movie works with Chromecast like Plex, without react on main iPhone volume (hardware or throw main panel). So plex use alternative scenario of working with Chromecast volume.

But first scenario with main volume reaction is more comfortable !!

• Dom CDom C Plex Employee Posts: 1,232Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

I agree that it is preferable to use the hardware buttons if we can. I'll ask our iOS team what the constraint was, since I thought I remembered one. Thanks.

Why plex doesn’t support another UPnP cast devices like Sony Bravia TV cast?

Give us info when channel ( plugins ) will be playable throw Chromecast. Do you have any news when fix will be implemented?

• DafreakzoDafreakzo Posts: 207Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Deniska77 said:
    Give us info when channel ( plugins ) will be playable throw Chromecast. Do you have any news when fix will be implemented?

They have always worked fine for me and my Chromecast.

Dafreazko!!

You also have this problem when you try to play channels via Chromecast you see “Loading... Playback will begin in a moment” and no screen.

Try to use for example iptv.bundle (not official plugin for plex iptv m3u8 playlist.

Give us plugin which works for you with Chromecasts?

Films, music, pictures works ok with Chromecast, but channels not. See this forum branch. Some problem with HLS video play via Chromecast.
    From March 20 developers moves all channels to HLS.