If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[BUG] "Allow DTS" option removed from Samsung client

As per the thread here - the removal of the "Allow DTS" option in the latest update means the automatic transcoding of DTS tracks to AC3 for people like me that have Sonos systems that only support AC3.

The workaround of turning off direct play and only allowing direct streaming isn't great, as for 4k videos it needs to be turned on as it'll either transcode it to 1080p, or just stutter and buffer.
So Plex has now gone from a "just works with whatever" system to one where you have to know about the content your about to play and mess around with settings first to work properly.

Can we please get this option back, even if the option is enabled by default, it'll mean people that need it can turn it off.

Answers

• shredswithpiksshredswithpiks Posts: 4Members ✭✭

I'm still very confused as to why this feature was removed to begin with, since it seems like the devs have abandoned efforts to communicate in the other thread. Plex no longer passes the family-friendly test :(

• spiderlanespiderlane Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yeah it seems weird. It was a smart workaround for an issue outside of their control.

• WillsonHawWillsonHaw Developer VancouverPosts: 9Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Hey peeps,

Can I get more information about your setup? TV model, app version, and PMS server version, and we'll have someone take a look.

Regards,
    -W

• TrickoTricko Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@WillsonHaw said:
    Hey peeps,

Can I get more information about your setup? TV model, app version, and PMS server version, and we'll have someone take a look.

Regards,
    -W

Thanks Willson, my bad for not including the details to start with -

TV - Samsung UE49KS8000
    Plex for Samsung - 3.2.2
    Tizen - 2.4.0

Plex server version - 1.12.0.4829
    MacOS - 10.12.6

It was the recent update to this client version that removed the option, but I can't remember the exact version that was in use before.

• WillsonHawWillsonHaw Developer VancouverPosts: 9Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

I've logged an internal issue to look into this.

Regards,
    -W

• jroch74jroch74 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hey ! Same issue for me :-(

TV - Samsung UE75MU7005TXXC
    Plex for Samsung - 3.2.2
    Tizen - 3.0

Plex server version - 1.12.1.4885
    Debian Linux 9.4

• NacnikNacnik Posts: 14Members ✭✭

Hey same issue here:
    TV: UE65KS7090
    Plex Player 3.2.2
    Play Server: 1.12.1.4885

I now have to switch off Direct Play which means for some files my server is now starting to Video transcode from HEVC to H264 which was not necessary before.
    I only need the DTS transcode from DCA to AAC for my Sonos Playbase.

Unfortunately the video trancoding doesn't work that good in my QNAP 453A.

Please make this option available again!

• valentine83valentine83 Posts: 5Members ✭✭

I have the same problem... :( Samsung UE49MU6442

• gabrielragabrielra Posts: 49Members ✭✭

I think it's not a bug on your setup. PLEX removed this option, purely and simply. It's the same on all Samsung TV with the new client 3.2.2.

• TrickoTricko Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@gabrielra said:
    I think it's not a bug on your setup. PLEX removed this option, purely and simply. It's the same on all Samsung TV with the new client 3.2.2.

Yeah my point about it being a bug is that they shouldn’t have removed it, given it’s so useful to people.

• gabrielragabrielra Posts: 49Members ✭✭

@Tricko said:

@gabrielra said:

Yeah my point about it being a bug is that they shouldn’t have removed it, given it’s so useful to people.

I agree, it was sooooo useful

• mr_elementmr_element Posts: 9Members ✭✭

Hi -- another vote from me as I have the same issue.

TV - Samsung UE55KS7000
    Plex Player 3.2.2
    Play Server: 1.12.1.4885

Of course while disabling the "Direct Play" is considered a workaround , in my mind , this "Allow DTS" option is yet another more subtle workaround. The ideal would be Samsung to put the devs to work and provide an automatic audio switch from DD to DTS and vice versa depending on the sound input coming from PMS.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
    -G

• checktravischecktravis Posts: 55Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Me too
    TV: UN60KU6270
    Player 3.2.2
    Server 1.12.1.4885

In general, hunting down the main settings window between every other video I play and toggling Direct Play is getting ridiculous. At least move these settings to the video player view since it seems to be necessary to adjust this on a per video basis.

• NacnikNacnik Posts: 14Members ✭✭

@WillsonHaw said:
    I've logged an internal issue to look into this.

Regards,
    -W

WillsonHaw do you have any news on this?

We have the issue logged, but I can't give you any timelines or dates.

Regards,
    -W

• DarknessgpDarknessgp Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@mr_element said:
    Of course while disabling the "Direct Play" is considered a workaround , in my mind , this "Allow DTS" option is yet another more subtle workaround. The ideal would be Samsung to put the devs to work and provide an automatic audio switch from DD to DTS and vice versa depending on the sound input coming from PMS.

The audio switching issue has been known by Plex since November 2016 (date of post Tricko linked) and Plex provided the work around of the "Allow DTS" option that has since disappeared. While Samsung fixing it is ideal, it seems highly unlikely given all the responses I've seen and heard from Samsung is "It's intended to drop back to PCM."

• RockLoiRockLoi Posts: 2Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 11

Darknessgp this was an issue on the older TVs too, as this thread from August 2015 shows. It seems Samsung has no interest in fixing this.

It's so painful to have to go down a rabbit-hole to find no solution at the end, and that the solution people had has been removed. The number of basic quality of life issues I'm having with my UEKS7000 TV and HW-K950 soundbar is really damping the great picture and sound when it all does work, and at this point I wouldn't be surprised to find that Samsung pushed Plex to remove the workaround for some stupid reason.

I hope this can get resolved, but for the present it looks like I'm manually switching for DTS, in the near future probably picking up an Nvidia Shield so everything just works (including Atmos), and in the more distant future simply not buying Samsung again.

• mattseeleymattseeley HawaiiPosts: 1,478Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@tricko, sorry it's been a while.

Can we please get this option back, even if the option is enabled by default, it'll mean people that need it can turn it off.

Sounds like the right idea.

(Please no private messages for support unless requested, please)

• RachieLaceyRachieLacey Posts: 1Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just another voice to add to the thread.

LG owners have been having a bit of a rough ride... First a bug that prevents any video playback The triple dot and no playback issue and then after this is fixed with another update, we have a feature dropped that allows ease of use and functionality. (at the moment I haven't found a way to get dts working, but that might just be my lack of effort)

I really hope this was an over-site to get the playback bug fixed. As a paying Plex subscriber, dropping features without warning and no options to load previous working versions of clients is not really the level of service we pay for.

With that rant out of the way, really hope you guys get that feature added back in...Sounds like a lot of people would appreciate it :smile: