If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

IPTV live streaming broken Since Chromecast Update.

s7ickys7icky Posts: 44Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited March 21 in Google Chromecast

I know its unsupported. But what changed where IPTV would not be working since this recent update to chromecast? It works on my phone and PC but will not cast.

Best Answer

Answers

• s7ickys7icky Posts: 44Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

SO im guessing im screwed? And no way to roll back updates either?

Thanks for checking for me.

Is anything else supported Besides HLS? MPEGTS ,RTMP?

• Dom CDom C Plex Employee Posts: 1,232Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

We play DASH and streaming MKV right now, if that helps?

We aren't going to provide a rolled back version but hope to improve playback of channels and other content. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

• Deniska77Deniska77 Posts: 173Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 24

It is very bad news that Chromecast doesn’t play channels and iptv m3u list via channels.

Also, because of your HLS impossible to play channels via DLNA on TV. my TVs doesn’t show channels content!!

Big problem!! Need to fix IPTV via Chromecast and via DLNA or made workaround with transcoding this flow on the fly for Chromecast.

You can made option to transcode channels back

It’s play everything via Chromecast except main channel feature...

Is it possible to change Chromecast.xml file to transcode HLS to Chromecast supported protocol for channels like in this discussion on page1?

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/104606/my-best-video-setting-for-chromecast-and-android/p1

edited March 24

Here is another forum branch about this problem and I think it will be fix in new version, I am about problem with all channel app (plugins) for play via Chromecast.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/314519/new-plex-app-on-chromecast-stuck-on-loading#latest

Yea we need a fix soon :( taking away functionality is kinda garbage. And not letting anyone know before sucks even more.

We are paying money for Plex Pass. We can order to return back Chromecast to channel!!

edited March 25

HLS is supported by Chromecast according to this reference:

https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/media
    ————
    Delivery methods and adaptive streaming protocols

These are available through use of the Media Player Library, or you may use your own player library.

• MPEG-DASH
      *PlayReady (Security Level 2000)
      * Widevine (Level 1)

• SmoothStreaming
      *PlayReady (Security Level 2000)

• HTTP Live Streaming (HLS)
      * AES-128 encryption
      * Raw MP3 segments can be part of an HLS media playlist

• Progressive download without adaptive switching (using the HTML media element only)

With adaptive bitrate streaming protocols, you must implement CORS. To implement an encrypted protocol, including DRM, you should develop a Custom Receiver. See DRM support for more information.

———————

Why PLEX channels doesn’t work with Chromecast?

• Dom CDom C Plex Employee Posts: 1,232Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

I feel I've answered this a few times already, but we hope to reenable HLS support, and therefore channel support, soon - but I can't commit to when.

edited March 26

@Dom C said:
    I feel I've answered this a few times already, but we hope to reenable HLS support, and therefore channel support, soon - but I can't commit to when.

DOM C, thank you very much for your understanding of channels Chromecast problem and it’s importnant to Chromecast users. I think we will see fix update soon:)

Any updates on this?

Give us info when channel ( plugins ) will be playable throw Chromecast. Do you have any news when fix will be implemented?

I dont think they are going to be fixing it. Time to move to emby

edited April 3

See

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/216688/plex-for-chromecast#latest

On March 30 they upgrade something in Chromecast engine.

*Added new flat Rotten Tomato icons

Funny?
    They had so many critical problems for Chromecast , but they add some tomato icons....

@s7icky said:
    I dont think they are going to be fixing it. Time to move to emby

Yea I dont get the logic behind their updates.

I really think chromecast is dead for plex. Which is really stupid.

edited April 3

@s7icky said:
    I really think chromecast is dead for plex. Which is really stupid.

I hope we push developers and channels will work again.

Other films work good with surround sound via Chromecast. Plex for example knows that AAA 5.1 codec from June 2017 doesn’t supported by Chromecast and plex transcoded automatically AAA 5.1 to EAC3 5.1 without problems for Chromecast only.

No other app in AppStore who can do it. Only plex. (Emby probably too, don’t check Emby)

So Chromecast alive, but need to push developers to channels (plugins) fix.

Why plex don’t fix quickly big obvious issues??