If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Can no longer cast local media to Chromecast

argentdeuxargentdeux Posts: 2Members

A few days ago I stopped being able to cast content from my Plex iOS apps to my Chromecasts (I have a 2nd generation and a Chromecast Ultra), the content begins to load and throws a 'Sorry! Something went wrong' error on the TV, meanwhile the content seems to be endlessly loading on my phone but never plays. I can play content just fine on my iOS device until I try and cast it.
Content from friends' servers casts just fine, the problem appears to only be with my content when casted. All content is local, not synced.

I've tried updating my Plex Media Server to the latest version, both Chromecasts are up to date and the iOS app is also the most current available. I've wiped my router configuration to see if it was a network issue but this didn't work either so I have restored my router configuration again now. My Plex Media Server runs on a Windows 7 machine and my router is dd-wrt.

Attached are my iOS app logs, hopefully someone is able to help. Thanks in advance.
(SERVER-PC and Doddle Jake are my local Plex servers, both of which serve content in a web browser and the iOS app but will not cast).

Answers

• Dom CDom C Plex Employee Posts: 1,232Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Thanks for the report. We'll take a look - we should still be able to direct play local media.

• start111start111 Posts: 2Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi, I've followed a lot of troubleshooting from the forums back till 2015. My problem seems to be similar to the above.

I'm trying to use plex windows app as the player and iPhone as remote. Plex server is installed separately on a different pc which seems to be working fine.

The plex cast doesn't seem to be working for me from iPhone to Windows 10 app. It works only now and then.

When I press the cast to button on iPhone, Windows app does show up in the list of available devices to cast to, but once the connection is established and you look at the list, the windows device keeps disappearing and appearing (as if its being dropped).

I've checked firewall by disabling it entirely and removing the antivirus completely, the problem still exists.

• ChristianoFarChristianoFar Posts: 8Members ✭✭

I've been having the same issues since updating to the new version. None of the troubleshooting on the forum has fixed it.

1: I can't cast any media though plex. I get "Loading: Playback will begin in a moment". and the circle runs for awhile until it gives an error.

2: Not sure this is related to above, but when casting Plex, I get a screen that says "Ready to Cast", but when I open a TV show or Movie folder on plex, the casted screen does not update to show what I've selected, or display the photo and description of the show as it used to.

3: I can't gain a direct connection to plex on my phone anymore, all devices connected to the same LAN. I can only get direct connection, and I can't cast to my chromecast from my android phone.

Is there a fix? Or is there a way to revert to the old Plex that worked? I've been using it with out issue for over 2 years until this update.

• Dom CDom C Plex Employee Posts: 1,232Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

to use plex windows app as the player and iPhone as remote.

I'm afraid this forum is about the Chromecast remote player - which is similar, but different, to Plex Companion.

• temuldertemulder Posts: 1Members

Hi, I've a kind of the same problem. I use plex server for windows (Version 1.12.1.4885) and a ipad or android device to cast to chromecast. It worked just fine until the last update for chromecast.

Casting just works fine until I press Stop (not pause). When I want to resume it first shows the time where I stopped (with the screen being black) and after a few seconds the time goes back to 0 but nothing happens and the screen still being black.
    When I stop casting and resume local on my ipad or android phone it plays just fine.
    Also as mentioned in an other post the quality settings are being cast as original despite I changed them manually on my Ipad.

• unreal4uunreal4u Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I seem to be affected as well by this issue: same parameters: using iOS device as controller, casting to a Chromecast. Direct play on the phone is ok, but using the transcoder will crash it.

This happened to me with 2 versions:
    plexmediaserver-1.12.0.4829-6de959918.x86_64.rpm
    plexmediaserver-1.12.1.4885-1046ba85f.x86_64.rpm

As the first one wouldn't play the movie, I just updated plexmediaserver, but same result.

I've got debug logs, should I just upload it here or make a new thread?

• KoooBAKoooBA Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi, Having the same issues. Will not cast. Startet about a month ago.
    Using android to cast. Just updated to the newest public release, same result.

• argentdeuxargentdeux Posts: 2Members

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you all know that I managed to find a 'fix' for this.

Settings -> Server -> Network -> Change the 'Secure connections' option, press save. Feel free to change it back afterwards.

Hopefully the root cause is fixed in a future update.

Cheers

• igowasigowas Posts: 81Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@argentdeux said:
    Hi all,

Settings -> Server -> Network -> Change the 'Secure connections' option, press save. Feel free to change it back afterwards.

Cheers

You change it to what ? I tried and got the same error message someting went wrong

• rootrirootri Posts: 1Members

I have the same issue and it started roughly at the same time. > @argentdeux said:

Hi all,

Cheers

This didn't work for me unfortunately.

• KuroRaionKuroRaion Posts: 2Members

So recently I ran into similar issues with casting video from my Plex Android app to my Chromcast v2, giving me an error that it couldn't establish a secure connection. Casting from the chrome browser was still working fine.

Today I found out that my new AVM Fritz Box router was a bit too eager at protecting my network from DNS-rebinding exploits. I used the tcpdump feature in my router to find out the plex.direct domain used by the Android App. After excluding the plex.local domain from the DNS Rebind Protection things started working again.

For those interested, DNS Rebind Protection can be found under "Home Network" - "Home Network Overview" - "Network Settings" at the bottom of the page.

• KoooBAKoooBA Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@argentdeux said:
    Hi all,

Cheers

worked for me, when i changed it to disabled.
    Thanks.