If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How-to update PMS via unattended-upgrades ?

R-P-HR-P-H Posts: 105Members ✭✭

Hi, I am running Ubuntu Mate 16.04 on a Pi2 with PMS installed. I have setup unattended-upgrades to update package lists every week. When I run sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y it updates without a problem. However, for some reason it will not upgrade when using unattended-upgrades. I get this output when trying it from terminal:

Starting unattended upgrades script
Allowed origins are: ['o=Ubuntu,a=xenial', 'o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-security', 'o=UbuntuESM,a=xenial', 'o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-updates']
Checking: plexmediaserver-installer ([<Origin component:'main' archive:'' origin:'PMS armv7' label:'PMS armv7' site:'dev2day.de' isTrusted:True>])
pkgs that look like they should be upgraded: 
Fetched 0 B in 0s (0 B/s)                                                      
fetch.run() result: 0
blacklist: []
whitelist: []
No packages found that can be upgraded unattended and no pending auto-removals

Why is Plex Media Server not upgrading when using unattended-upgrades ?

Thanks

Tagged:

Answers

• uglymagoouglymagoo Posts: 898Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja
    edited March 25

@R-P-H said:

Never do unattended upgrades on a server. Never! Besides, I do not know this script :)

Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon

• R-P-HR-P-H Posts: 105Members ✭✭

@uglymagoo said:

@R-P-H said:

Never do unattended upgrades on a server. Never! Besides, I do not know this script :)

Why not unattended-upgrades ?

• uglymagoouglymagoo Posts: 898Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja

@R-P-H said:
    Why not unattended-upgrades ?

You will miss important warnings, errors, messages from the package maintainer, unsuccessful updates, sometimes user interaction is required and so on and so forth. And there is just no real benefit to automatically perform apt-get upgrade. Just make it a habit to update the server twice a week manually and you will be fine.

Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon