If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

will the nvidia shield direct play when using synology 918+ as server and shield as client?

wangeroogewangerooge Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am asking this question because i read all different things about transcoding. I want to use my synology 918+ as Plex server. The shield i want to use as a client. I want to play HD and 4K movies WITH subtitles (srt, vob or PGS) i read that when using subs in Plex the server always has to transcode. But my NAS cant handle this at this moment (now i am using a PS3 for client)
So i am wondering.. if i will buy a shield and use that as s client instead of my PS3. Will that work. And will i be able to direct play that content?
Thanks in advance

Best Answers

Answers

• spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,540Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I don't know the answer but if u buy a shield pro u can use that as your PMS

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shield Pros (2017 and 2015)
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 pro and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick, 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I give MY opinion from MY experience!

So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

• wangeroogewangerooge Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

thanks for the answer spike, but the PRO is not for sale any longer and won't come back. So that is not an option.
    So i hope someone else does know the answer.

• FordGuy61FordGuy61 Posts: 399Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a Nvidia Shield with PMS running on a DS918+.

All of this direct plays:

• DVD rip: MKV container, MPEG2 video, AC3 audio, VOBSUB subtitles
    • Blu-ray rip: MKV container, 1080p H264 video, AC3 audio, PGS subtitles
    • Processed by Handbrake: MP4 container, 1080p/480p H264 video, AAC & AC3 audio, SRT subtitles (these are DVD & Blu-ray rips I've run through Handbrake)

Audio for above may also include PCM 2.0/5.1; AAC 2.0; AC3/EAC3 2.0 & 5.1; TrueHD 5.1/7.1; Atmos; dts 5.1; dts-HD MA 5.1/7.1; dts:X. My Denon receiver handles all the audio formats, so audio never transcodes.

I do not have any 4K videos with subtitles. I do have some demo files from LG, Sony, etc. They direct play.

• MP4 container, 4K, HEVC 8-bit, AAC/AC3 audio
    • MP4 container, 4k, HEVC 10-bit HDR 10, AAC/AC3 audio

WRT HDR, the Nvidia Shield is HDR10 only. The two or three Dolby Vision and HLG videos I tried would not play. The Plex client refused to play the videos and returned an error message (it was a few weeks ago, don't remember exact message).

My setup:
    Shield TV <-- HDMI--> Denon AVR-X4300H <--HDMI--> LG OLED55B7P
    Plex client 6.16.0.4079 on Shield TV.
    PMS 1.12.1.4885 on Synology DS918+, DSM 6.1.5-15254 Update 1

Hello Fordguy, thanks for your answer. All my video's are in mkv container and H264. So i guess there will be no problems. Only question i have is with the srt subs... you say you have run those through handbrake, does that mean you have burned them in? Because if i burn them in in Handbrake the also work on my ps3. But i want to avoid to have them burned in. So can you tell me if the srt subs also direct play if you dont burn them in?
    Thanks again for your answer.

Thanks Ford Guy, i think i will give it a try with the shield than.

• audiomixeraudiomixer Posts: 205Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@FordGuy61 said:
    I have a Nvidia Shield with PMS running on a DS918+.

All of this direct plays:

• DVD rip: MKV container, MPEG2 video, AC3 audio, VOBSUB subtitles
    • Blu-ray rip: MKV container, 1080p H264 video, AC3 audio, PGS subtitles
    • Processed by Handbrake: MP4 container, 1080p/480p H264 video, AAC & AC3 audio, SRT subtitles (these are DVD & Blu-ray rips I've run through Handbrake)

Audio for above may also include PCM 2.0/5.1; AAC 2.0; AC3/EAC3 2.0 & 5.1; TrueHD 5.1/7.1; Atmos; dts 5.1; dts-HD MA 5.1/7.1; dts:X. My Denon receiver handles all the audio formats, so audio never transcodes.

I do not have any 4K videos with subtitles. I do have some demo files from LG, Sony, etc. They direct play.

• MP4 container, 4K, HEVC 8-bit, AAC/AC3 audio
    • MP4 container, 4k, HEVC 10-bit HDR 10, AAC/AC3 audio

WRT HDR, the Nvidia Shield is HDR10 only. The two or three Dolby Vision and HLG videos I tried would not play. The Plex client refused to play the videos and returned an error message (it was a few weeks ago, don't remember exact message).

My setup:
    Shield TV <-- HDMI--> Denon AVR-X4300H <--HDMI--> LG OLED55B7P
    Plex client 6.16.0.4079 on Shield TV.
    PMS 1.12.1.4885 on Synology DS918+, DSM 6.1.5-15254 Update 1

I too run this combination. I concur with fordguy61 as this is also my experience.

Hi audiomixer, also thanks, still one more question.
    I see that my 4K movies are in MKV container with the HEVC codec. Any idea of this also will work?
    You have yours in MP4 container

@wangerooge said:
    thanks for the answer spike, but the PRO is not for sale any longer and won't come back. So that is not an option.
    So i hope someone else does know the answer.

I haven't heard that - what was the reason ?
    Anyway Amazon has the pro !!

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shield Pros (2017 and 2015)
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 pro and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick, 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

Ok , I read that and from my understanding one nvidia support person said 4 months ago that the pro was end of life!
    And the nvidia website does not have the pro for sale.

One would think Nvidia would make an announcement about this "end of life" product!!
    But as a nvidia user I know things don't move real fast there!

The nvidia site does have the pro for sale.
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shop/

hee this is new, last week the didnt have it for sale. the will not ship to the netherlands so i cant buy there. but i think that must mean they started sale again and maybe will come to holland again also.

@audiomixer said:
    The nvidia site does have the pro for sale.
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shop/

And here there is no Pro - https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shield-tv/

• johnm_ColaSCjohnm_ColaSC Posts: 2,316Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja

Primary Plex Media Server
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i5-3570K, 32GB RAM
    Post Processing with MCEBuddy 2.4.7 & Comskip 0.81.093
    Test Servers: MacBook Pro, Nvidia Shield TV (16GB), Windows Laptop, Ubuntu VM
    HDHR Connect (2), HDHR Dual, HDHR Extend, HDHR Prime
    Clients - Windows, iOS, Roku, Samsung TV, Fire TV, Nvidia Shield

• johnm_ColaSCjohnm_ColaSC Posts: 2,316Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja

@spikemixture So you point back to the same URL that I was posting a reply to showing you it was available on the link I posted. Keep referring to your link if you want but I was able to add a Pro to my cart using the link I provided earlier.

Primary Plex Media Server
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i5-3570K, 32GB RAM
    Post Processing with MCEBuddy 2.4.7 & Comskip 0.81.093
    Test Servers: MacBook Pro, Nvidia Shield TV (16GB), Windows Laptop, Ubuntu VM
    HDHR Connect (2), HDHR Dual, HDHR Extend, HDHR Prime
    Clients - Windows, iOS, Roku, Samsung TV, Fire TV, Nvidia Shield

@spikemixture Yup, but if you hit the shop button, there it is and as shown by the post above me, you can add it you your cart. In other words, it’s available.

edited April 1

I don't want one as I have 2 already.

I suggested early for the OP to buy a Pro - he said not available as end of life allegedly soon.
    I said they r available at Amazon
    You and men and others are just pointing out the fact the Pro is still available
    And the OP information from the help desk is BS! :D