Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Restart PMS via adb (remotely)

hofstaetterhofstaetter Members, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass
edited April 4 in NVIDIA SHIELD

Hey,
for everybody who want to restart PMS on Shield TV remotely. Here is a solution.

1) Activate developer mode on Shield TV; Settings -> About -> Click Build 10 times;Enabl you will get a notification
2) Enable debugging; Settings -> Developer Options -> Debugging -> Enable Debugging
3) Enable debugging over USB; Settings -> Developer Options -> Debugging -> Toggle USB debugging on
4) Enable debugging over network; Settings -> Developer Options -> Debugging -> Toggle network debugging on

Now you have to install Googles debugging tools on the PC/MAC to restart the PMS from there.
You will get it here: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html
After extracted, navigate to the folder.
pc:~ name$ cd /Users/name/Downloads/platform-tools
Now you have to connect to your SHIELD TV.
pc:platform-tools user$ ./adb connect IP.OF.SHIELD.TV
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
connected to 172.16.173.95:5555
You can shutdown your server with following command.
pc:platform-tools user$ ./adb shell am force-stop com.plexapp.mediaserver.smb
You server should be offline now.
pc:platform-tools user$ ./adb shell am start com.plexapp.mediaserver.smb/com.plexapp.mediaserver.ui.main.MainActivity
And your server comes online again.

Hope this guide helps someone!

best regards,
frezy

edit: with update 12.1 there are a new activity path. updated

Tagged:

Answers

• toemketoemke Members Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited March 29

Thanks man, his is exactly what I have been looking for! I was able to stop the server the server so far, but didn't have the right command to start it back up.
    This also works from a machine that you ssh into, for example I use my Rasperry Pi, that has a dynamic DNS, so I can access it from outside my network.

Again, thank you! I came back here to ask you for help, since I couldn't start up the server via ADB anymore. But you beat me to the punch :)

• hofstaetterhofstaetter Members, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass

Where is the problem? The method works flawlessly with Android Oreo and the latest version of PMS.

@hofstaetter said:
    Where is the problem? The method works flawlessly with Android Oreo and the latest version of PMS.

Earlier versions of Plex Media Server used a different activity path. The original post by hoffstaetter has already been updated to reflect that. I was trying to use the old path on the new server unsuccessfully until I checked back here.