If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Why does the Shield constantly lose connection to my external hard drives

blackph0enixblackph0enix Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a 500GB Shield TV I have been moving my current 2TB external hard drive Plex library over to a 4TB external. However, while I'm transferring data I notice that my mounted drives keep disconnecting every 5-7 minutes. This is annoying and has made my storage migration a nightmare. Does anyone have a fix?

Answers

• trent.curtistrent.curtis Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

What's the model of your external drive?

Plex Media Server - Nvidia Shield Pro 500GB
    Storage/NAS - WD MyCloud EX2 - Dual 8TB WD RED Drives in Raid 1
    LiveTV DVR / Captures - HDHomeRun Prime with Charter Spectrum Service / PlayOn for Netfix/Hulu/OnDemand Content Capturing
    Clients - Nvidia Shield 16GB / Amazon FireTV 4K / Samsung 2017 TV Plex Client

• rucknrunrucknrun Posts: 135Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I found the only way to get past this to stop is to use the external drive as my internal storage. I had a Seagate drive that was a nightmare until I committed to this.

• insync44insync44 Posts: 7Members ✭✭
    edited April 7

I had a Mi Box that constantly did this , when the External HD, was connected with a USB hub. Shield was the same, with a non-powered hub, but a direct connection have had no problems. Using the external storage as internal was a waste of a large hard drive.