If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

OpenPHT vs PMP

NovalucolNovalucol Posts: 50Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi

Sorry if this is explained in some FAQ or previus post.
I have acctually never used PMP. I used to have Plex Home Theater and then went straight to OpenPHT.
Every now and then i have a choppy playback, both 1080P and 720P MKVs.
I havent been able to find the reason for it, but thats not my question.
What im wondering is:

Are OpenPHT and PMP using the same "engine"?
If I was to try PMP, would there be any differnce in actual playback, or are we just talking about different UI?

Thank you for any help with these noob questions

Best Answer

Answers

• NovalucolNovalucol Posts: 50Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thx for your answer.
    Playback wise, which one would be the better?

• AchillesAchilles Posts: 2,261Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I prefer PMP

edited April 5

I just downloaded PMP to see if there’s a difference between the two.
    Got sound but picture's black unless I run at 60 instead of 23,976.
    Also no settings in regards to subtitles running to slow/fast.

Any ideas about the two above problems?

So far I’m staying with OpenPHT

• jwaltrip4jwaltrip4 Posts: 595Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

OpenPHT plays all my stuff. 10 foot interface and integration with MC remote is excellent. Plays all the sound fields on my movies. I don't have 4k, and use an av receiver with Dolby decoding

PMP has improved, but I don't like the interface, and it does not integrate with WMC.... even lacking latest and greatest, OPHT is still my choice. Most of the new things I don't really care that much about, and have Rokus anyway if I want those features

@jwaltrip4 said:
    OpenPHT plays all my stuff. 10 foot interface and integration with MC remote is excellent. Plays all the sound fields on my movies. I don't have 4k, and use an av receiver with Dolby decoding

PMP has improved, but I don't like the interface, and it does not integrate with WMC.... even lacking latest and greatest, OPHT is still my choice. Most of the new things I don't really care that much about, and have Rokus anyway if I want those features

I agree, still using OPHT as well. But there are a few things not working fully,:
    Often have to fix n trix with sub, being out of sync.
    I have a permanent mod on audio, otherwise out of sync.

Even with WMC/MCE I didnt have these issuies, and that was ten years ago

• wally007wally007 Posts: 842Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Novalucol said:

@jwaltrip4 said:

I agree, still using OPHT as well. But there are a few things not working fully,:
    Often have to fix n trix with sub, being out of sync.
    I have a permanent mod on audio, otherwise out of sync.

Even with WMC/MCE I didnt have these issuies, and that was ten years ago

I've been using PMC, PHT and OpenPHT since the very beginning and I've never had audio sync issue. I've only had to set my audio delay in PHT to 300ms since I have room correction done in pre-pro.
    I've always used various nVidia HDMI-out to pre-pro (or receiver) and let processor in the audio equipment to do the job with audio.

I’m actually not using any amp/receiver at all, just Logitech Z5500 (I think) connected via spdif. The problem with sync I think, is due to “adjust display refresh rate”. When on I have to put in “audio offset” -475 ms and then it’s almost spot on. But to be able to just use my old MCE-remote, there’s also a lot of settings in “audio output” that need to be correct to control volume etc.
    Every now and then sub is also completely out of sync.
    All n all, lurve OpenPHT, but I’ve never had these problems before with other players

• borg10borg10 Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I get the same black screen with refresh switch in PMP, however sticking at 60 seems to be pretty solid on my NUC and with a fixed delay for spdif audio set that seems to be ok too. I don't mind PMP for playback and actually quite like the new playnext and episode view for tv but the big killer for me is that PMP doesn't allow me to limit hevc direct to something my player can handle, whereas openpht does. That's the biggest issue for playback for me. As for the PMP menu navigation..its pretty horrible with my harmony remote, to the point where I use the laptop and plexweb to control the player for anything more than basic on deck/newly added playing. Open pht is so much easier zipping around my media but sometimes the audio engine seems to crash, requiring a reboot, but PMP doesn't have that issue. All in all I am on the fence for now using both and waiting patiently for progress in either program to swing me one way or the other.

Completely missed your reply!
    Sorry, but I don’t understand what you mean with “limit hevc”.
    Regarding black screen or sticking with 60 is a no go for me. Just not acceptable, but still wondering what’s wrong.
    Until I figured it out, I’m definitely staying with OPHT