If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

I have to restart the app on my TV every time I turn on my TV for Alexa to find the player

PlexibleRobinPlexibleRobin Posts: 17Members ✭✭

Alexa can't find my TV as a player unless I restart the app. Even although the app works no problem on my TV and shows me as signed in. Any workaround for this? Kinda defeats the purpose of turning on tv and telling Alexa to watch a movie, I have to click around with my remote anyway to restart the app. Samsung tv btw if relevant.

Answers

• CylacCylac Posts: 122Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

what do you mean by restarting the app? You have to manually launch it when you turn on the tv then close it? Then re-start it?
    Alexa can't find my Samsung PLEX player app either.

• PlexibleRobinPlexibleRobin Posts: 17Members ✭✭

Well when I turn on my TV the app is open already so I have to close it then reopen it so it forces it to reconnect to my plex server for Alexa to work.

• SiscoPlexSiscoPlex Posts: 1,084Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I use my alexa to control my logitech harmony to turn everything on, change to the proper inputs on tv and AVR and launch whichever app... in this case plex.
    This reconnects plex and alexa and now I can also control it with alexa.

So for instance I wake up and say "Alexa turn on Plex" tv turns on, avr turns to HDMI 1, Lights in my theater turn off for movie time. This also re-establishes the link with the alexa skill to plex which now makes it available for the commands IE: play this or that, pause, stop etc.

Lights also turn on to 2% when paused.
    Lights come all the way up when stopped.