Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Oculus rift

2»

Answers

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 17,582Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

I don't know anything about the development, so I have idea if/when it might be available, but I had a question for those of you with a Rift.

The Rift is tethered to your computer so you'd have to sit at or very near your computer to use it, right? To me, that seems like it would be quite uncomfortable for watching a long video. I get it is great for games and other active VR apps, but I just don't get it for something as static as watching videos.

I have a Go and its great that I can sit where ever I want to watch Plex. I just can't imagine sitting at my computer desk or even on a couch with the wires running back to the computer.

• Farkie16Farkie16 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    I don't know anything about the development, so I have idea if/when it might be available, but I had a question for those of you with a Rift.

The Rift is tethered to your computer so you'd have to sit at or very near your computer to use it, right? To me, that seems like it would be quite uncomfortable for watching a long video. I get it is great for games and other active VR apps, but I just don't get it for something as static as watching videos.

I have a Go and its great that I can sit where ever I want to watch Plex. I just can't imagine sitting at my computer desk or even on a couch with the wires running back to the computer.

Because it's always nicer to watch with a huge screen :)

• TheGalaxyOneTheGalaxyOne Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 17

@Farkie16 said:

@MovieFan.Plex said:

Because it's always nicer to watch with a huge screen :)

exactly, and honestly if you have ever had to charge your phone while you are on youtube its only about as inconvenient. i have a set of extensions for my rift, i can go relax on the couch, or even make it to a bed, and the cables are pretty unnoticeable if you have been using the rift for gaming anyway. i would love to be able to use plex on the rift, especially considering the annoyance i face when i try to use it on the gear. my device overheats within 30 minutes and i get to watch the rest of any movie at about 5 fps with broken audio and repeated interruptions from system telling me to let my device cool down. ill take the cables over that intrusion and repeated inconvenience, and i dont really want to drop another 200 bucks on a device that is subpar to what i already own just to use plexvr...

seriously, the first attempt was done by a third party on rift and vive, plex took the idea but still hasn't implemented it on the very same devices?

tl;dr
    +1 for rift/vive support from plex premo subscriber. it seems like it should have been the first release as the platforms have been out longer; longer to dev the app for, but they only get in the game for gear and go. what are we funding here?

2»