If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PGS can be played directly without server transcoding but .ass can't be displayed

ivisoiviso Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a SONY Xperia XZ Premium. After installing the latest PLEX client, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I can directly play video with PGS subtitles directly on the phone, but the external ASS files can't be displayed without burn in. If I revert to the old plex version, ASS words and don't need to transcode but PGS need.

I also have IPHONE X, ipad pro, apple tv, shield tv, roku, fire tv, nexus player... All plex clients have a variety of issues.

Answers

• ivisoiviso Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

external ASS file is unable to display .
    if the ASS is embedded in MKV ,it works fine.

• wbhmaybewbhmaybe Posts: 1Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have similar issue here.

Server version: 1.12.0.4829
    Android (Samsung S7 edge): latest

It seems only .ass subtitle is not displaying on Android phone.
    The .ass subtitle is able to show on Web Player, Iphone and Chromecast. I converted .ass to .srt and it worked fine on Android.

• counterfitcounterfit Posts: 90Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@iviso said:
    external ASS file is unable to display .
    if the ASS is embedded in MKV ,it works fine.

I've had a lot of muxed ASS subs need burning in recently, even with the newest app version.