If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PMS crashing on RPi

my Plex server has been running fine for several months, but has recently started crashing constantly. just the service, not the whole Raspberry Pi.

the most recent change I made was to enable remote access.

I am attachimg my log files and would appreciate anyone's help to sort this out.

Answers

• Seanski10Seanski10 Posts: 5Members

Discovering that the media server only crashes when I try to play a movie from another client on the network. If I play a video through the web app on the same machine, it plays fine.

• uglymagoouglymagoo Posts: 898Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja

@Seanski10 said:
    my Plex server has been running fine for several months, but has recently started crashing constantly. just the service, not the whole Raspberry Pi.

There is no crash in the log files, the server was shutdown properly (by systemd I assume?). Why do you think it's a PMS crash? Does the player stop? Is there a crash mentioned in journalctl -u plexmediaserver or dmesg? Just to make sure, it's not just also the Kernel bug in 4.14.x: did you try to downgrade to Linux 4.9.x or to upgrade to a newer kernel with rpi-update?

Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon

Thanks very much for the response. Yes, the player will stop mid stream and I get a buffering wheel for a period of time and then an error that the player can't connect to my server. The only way to reconnect is for me to restart the server.

I don't see any crashes mentioned with either of the methods you suggested. I'm new to Linux, so I wasn't aware of the kernel bug. I've just been running periodic updates with the sudo apt-get update/sudo apt-get upgrade method. Thought it might be firmware, so I tried to check the firmware with another method earlier today, but it told me mine was up to date. I just used rbi-update and it looks like it bumped me forward a few versions. Hopefully that will do the trick. Off to watch a movie for a while to see if it makes a difference.

Incidentally, when I watched a movie using a client off the host machine, I'd see the CPU usage spike to 98%-99% constantly. Is that an indicator of one particular issue or another?

• uglymagoouglymagoo Posts: 898Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja

@Seanski10 said:
    Incidentally, when I watched a movie using a client off the host machine, I'd see the CPU usage spike to 98%-99% constantly. Is that an indicator of one particular issue or another?

That's an indication for video transcoding. You really want Plex clients that support Direct Play or Direct Stream for all of your media.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/200250387-streaming-media-direct-play-and-direct-stream/

Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository

Updating the firmware with rpi-update seems to have done the trick. Thank you for your advice.

• LourenciLourenci Posts: 1Members

I have the same problem. I was wondering If it was because of the last plex update I have done. Coincidence, I have updated my debian too.

I will try to rpi-update and report here later.

Thanks

@Lourenci said:

I will try to rpi-update and report here later.

Raspbian has still not updated their package repo to a Kernel that integrates a fix for this crash :/ rpi-update will help.