If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Cannot get plex to work need help

HI

I had a pi 3 sd card corrupted and did not have a recent backup. my fault. I have to build it from scratch for my plex server. I just cannot get Plex to work. I have no issues the first time i created one. I have setup my Pi 3 exactly the same as before and Plex cannot find the server. I have checked the Plex log and get the following.

Apr 16, 2018 11:58:36.771 [0x7456a0d0] ERROR - SQLITE3:(nil), 2570, os_unix.c:35002: (13) unlink(/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-in Support/Databases/com.plexapp.plugins.library.blobs.db-wal) - Permission denied

Plex is set to user (pi) and the /var/lib/plexmediaserver permissions are set to user pi and so is the plex password.

Below is the list of files.

-rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi 313344 Apr 16 11:52 com.plexapp.plugins.library.blobs.db
-rwxrwxr-x 1 pi pi 0 Apr 16 11:53 com.plexapp.plugins.library.blobs.db-wal
-rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi 32768 Apr 16 11:53 com.plexapp.plugins.library.blobs.db-shm
-rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi 69632 Apr 16 11:53 com.plexapp.dlna.db
-rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi 32768 Apr 16 11:53 com.plexapp.dlna.db-shm
-rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi 292552 Apr 16 11:53 com.plexapp.dlna.db-wal
-rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi 315392 Apr 17 08:49 com.plexapp.plugins.library.db

Just cannot understand why i can't get plex to work. Please can anyone help.

Paul.

Answers

• uglymagoouglymagoo Posts: 898Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja
    edited April 17

@Thompson_2009 said:

Plex is set to user (pi) and the /var/lib/plexmediaserver permissions are set to user pi and so is the plex password.

How did you set Plex to user pi and why? I suppose Plex is still running as user plex. That's a good thing. Just change the permissions of /var/lib/plexmediaserver back to user and group plex: sudo chown -R plex:plex /var/lib/plexmediaserver.

Edit: Moved to the RPi category.

Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon

• Thompson_2009Thompson_2009 Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Hi

I followed a install guide which said set the user plexuser to Pi and set the /var/lib/plexmediaserver permissions to pi. that's what i had previously and it worked fine. I will try your suggestion thanks.

• uglymagoouglymagoo Posts: 898Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja
    edited April 17

@Thompson_2009 said:
    Hi

I followed a install guide which said set the user plexuser to Pi and set the /var/lib/plexmediaserver permissions to pi. that's what i had previously and it worked fine. I will try your suggestion thanks.

I can image which guide :D That guide is completely broken by now and their way to change the Plex user to pi does not work at all ;) And moreover, you should NOT use the user pi for plex.

Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon

• Thompson_2009Thompson_2009 Posts: 3Members ✭✭

That fixed it your a star thanks a lot going to now back it up.