If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

New user question - does plexkodiconnect support external media players from within KODI

I am very new to PLEX and Plexkodiconnect - PKC and I have a few questions.

I have used KODI for many years and have everything setup the way I like it -- but before I try PKC and PLEX media server I would like to clarify a few things. My usage will be for remote access to my KODI library when away from home (which can be for a number of weeks at a time).

1. When connected to the PLEX Media Server from a remote location does PKC use SSL - and does this mean the SSL connection prevents anyone from monitoring the the stream I am playing in KODI application on my remote machine via PKC?

2. I understand that for remote access to work that a port is opened at home on my PLEX server machine (Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit) but a new or extra port does not need to be opened on my internet router - the existing internet router ports are OK

3. Is PLEX remote access via PKC to KODI on a remote machine (Lap Top also running Win 7 32 bit) comparable with Windows firewall at both ends -- that is the firewall running on the PLEX server machine at home and the firewall running on the PKC remote lap top?

4. I use External Media Players for all my Movie and TV show media playback with KODI (VLC and MPC-BE) as they give me much better control over all the playback settings - and this works quite well in regular KODI using a custom playercorefactory.xml file in the KODI userdata folder. Can I continue to use KODI external media players in a PKC to Plex Media Server - when connecting in from a remote location?

5. I wan to setup Plex Media Server to trans-code to 720P (I believe that this is done via a setting in PKC at the remote end) when accessed from a remote location -- due to bandwidth limitations at my remote location. Will this affect my goal of using a external player from KODI in any way?

Mike

Answers

• cronetercroneter Posts: 1,226Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@msmith_kodi_ht said:
    1. When connected to the PLEX Media Server from a remote location does PKC use SSL - and does this mean the SSL connection prevents anyone from monitoring the the stream I am playing in KODI application on my remote machine via PKC?

Yes, PKC uses SSL to encrypt data streams. Make sure SSL is enabled for your PMS though.

1. I understand that for remote access to work that a port is opened at home on my PLEX server machine (Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit) but a new or extra port does not need to be opened on my internet router - the existing internet router ports are OK

The Plex Media Server usually needs port 32400 open (but can be customized). You also want another port open for Plex Companion to work, see the PKC settings, section Plex, Plex Companion Update Port. By default this is port 32412.

1. Is PLEX remote access via PKC to KODI on a remote machine (Lap Top also running Win 7 32 bit) comparable with Windows firewall at both ends -- that is the firewall running on the PLEX server machine at home and the firewall running on the PKC remote lap top?

Do you mean "compatible"? Of course PKC is compatible to your firewalls, as long as your ports are open. Your antivirus also should not block PKC/Kodi :wink:

1. I use External Media Players for all my Movie and TV show media playback with KODI (VLC and MPC-BE) as they give me much better control over all the playback settings - and this works quite well in regular KODI using a custom playercorefactory.xml file in the KODI userdata folder. Can I continue to use KODI external media players in a PKC to Plex Media Server - when connecting in from a remote location?

You will need to set-up PKC with Direct Paths. This is more difficult if your media is stored in a remote location - you will need to e.g. also set-up a VPN connection so you can access your media via e.g. smb://my-media-server/movies/batman.mkv. However, you'd also have to set-up a VPN with plain vanilla Kodi, if you're media is stored elsewhere.

1. I wan to setup Plex Media Server to trans-code to 720P (I believe that this is done via a setting in PKC at the remote end) when accessed from a remote location -- due to bandwidth limitations at my remote location. Will this affect my goal of using a external player from KODI in any way?

You can transcode by e.g. using the PKC context menu Plex Options opened on the video you want to play, then Force transcode. However, this will not work with an external player.