If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Anyone experiencing Plexamp stutter when playing FLAC audio?

marcosusmarcosus Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm totally loving the new Plexamp, thanks so much! It takes me back to years gone by when I used Winamp on my Windows boxes.

I have noticed some issues when playing FLAC audio, so decided I'd drop a note here. When playing a FLAC file, the audio will generally begin to stutter at around 10-20 seconds into the track (perhaps a buffering issue?). I experience no issues when playing back MP3 or AAC.

It's a normal 16/44.1KHz audio file using compression level 8, running this on Ubuntu 17.10.

Cheers!
Marco.

Answers

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 6,979Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Nothing known, is the file remote? Limited bandwidth to it?

instagram @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the Medium page // the dog's twitter feed.

• fluzzfluzz Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Im having the same issues with flac playback when accessing remotely (ogg/mp3 work fine)

running 1.12.3.4973 on fedora 26

nethogs is reporting only uploading 13.637KB/sec out of a total 35.278KB/s up with nothing else being streamed from plex

using both the webplayer/win10 client the upload quite happily sits at 307.709KB/sec when playing back the same file, will test plexamp locally when i get home tonight

• tbarakitbaraki Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 30

I am having the same issue. The music will jump forwards or backwards by a second or so. The same files play just fine from the web player. I don't think that it is a bandwidth issue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like Plexamp is downloading in bursts with caching.

• Server version: 1.12.2.4929
    • Server OS: Windows Server 2012 R2
    • Plexamp Version: 1.0.5
    • Plexamp OS: Windows 10 1709

Thanks.

• Brian.WatsonBrian.Watson Posts: 39Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Not what you guys want to hear, but I've not had any stuttering. My entire music collection is FLAC, the server is on Windows 10 and Plexamp is on MacOS.

• marcosusmarcosus Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Logic tells me that this has nothing to do with the server's host operating system. My guess is that we have a problem with buffering, as plex in the browser works perfectly.

@Brian.Watson what broadband do you have? What are you down~ and upload speeds.

Also, would it be possible for some of the plex team to give some insights here?

• jcouturejcouture Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I also have a stuttering issue while trying to stream FLAC files through plexamp while I'm at work.

I used the W10 app and the web app without any issues.

My internet speed at home is 120/20 D/U, so I guess it shouldn't be an issue either.

• davidbdeathdavidbdeath Posts: 37Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I sometimes get stutter when playing back Apple Lossless music files.

• Brian.WatsonBrian.Watson Posts: 39Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I pay out the nose for the insane 1Gbps Download / 50Mbps Upload service here, so that shouldn't be an issue. Does the stuttering only happen when streaming over the internet, or does it happen when streaming just inside your house too?

My bandwidth isn't anywhere near as great as yours, but should still be more than enough to handle a flac stream. I'm on 50 down / 30M up. I am experiencing this on my home network. Also worth noting that I have no problem streaming 4K video streams or playing back flac in the browser plex app.

Hi all, for the record here is a sample for what I am hearing. Excuse the quality, it was recorded from my phone.

• vicdaveryvicdavery Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just for reference:
    No stuttering for me.
    Synology Server running 1.12.0.4829, all FLAC. Plexamp on Linux (Manjaro)