If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Android TV Player (Shield and Nexus Player) does not work well since many months

peterhjalmarssonpeterhjalmarsson Posts: 38Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex has not been 100% for a few months now. It seems to be related to a switch to a new video player (the HUD says "ExoPlayer v2", and I vaguely recall that it was something else before), but I'm not quite sure. The symptoms are all intermittent and include:

• Crashing on x265 files.
  • Some subtitles refuse to play (no subs visible).
  • Crashing on certain subtitles.
  • Refusing Direct Play with many x264 files.
  • Sometimes, resuming a video a few minutes in just shows a black screen, and sometimes crashes a few seconds later.
    After crashing, Plex restarts automatically and works fine for a few hours/days afterwards until the same thing happens again.

I'm not entirely sure what my question is ;) , but let's try with:
1. am I correct to recall there was another player before "Exoplayer v2"?
2. is there any way to switch back to the old player (that works much better)?
3. is there anything else I can do to get things working properly? WAF is approaching dangerously low numbers.
The different Windows clients that I have lying around works perfectly I should add.

Versions: Plex Shield client: 6.16.2.4628, Shield NRD90M.2427173_1038.2788, Shield Android TV 6.3(24.32.406.472)
Plex Server 1.12.0.4829
(sorry, no Nexus Player versions since it's not here, but it's updated to the latest)
...but the situation has been the same for a long time now, at least since new years.

Comments

• Pio435Pio435 Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 15

Same Problem with installed Version 6.17.0 on Shield TV

• App crashes during Playback - mostly with Dolby Atmos audio
    • Trailers (over the inbuilt Trailer Option) won't play anymore because of transcoder-crash's (first shows "loading circle" and after half a minute or so shows up "transcoder crash")
  • chenkschenks Posts: 928Members ✭✭✭

best solution, dump the android app completely (it's garbage)
    install Kodie and the plex kodi add-on.
    far superior plex experience.

@chenks said:
    best solution, dump the android app completely (it's garbage)
    install Kodie and the plex kodi add-on.
    far superior plex experience.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try this solution !

Ok, just tried Kodi with Plex-AddOn ...

Works in principal, but no functions are implemented for remote control and trailer-functions from plex. But this is one of the main features I need for the homeautomation part of my cinema ...

:(

• donyzzdonyzz Posts: 171Members ✭✭

Also the kodi plex addon doesn't have the watch later(plex it) feature. That's the most used feature for me.

• chenkschenks Posts: 928Members ✭✭✭

@Pio435 said:
    Ok, just tried Kodi with Plex-AddOn ...

Works in principal, but no functions are implemented for remote control and trailer-functions from plex. But this is one of the main features I need for the homeautomation part of my cinema ...

:(

remote control should work fine.
    those settings will be in kodi though rather than plex.

• K1ngLearK1ngLear Posts: 443Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Try Plex Kodi Connect instead. You get the shiny kodi gui with the abbility of the pms.

CAESAR
    (to the SOOTHSAYER) The ides of March are come.
    SOOTHSAYER
    Ay, Caesar, but not gone.
  • TViewer2000TViewer2000 Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 on crashing when playing 4k movies