If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Buffering issues with Xbox One

OzzyCOzzyC Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

When playing movies on my Xbox One, I am having major buffering issues. The player is effectively unusable. I have removed and reinstalled the Plex app on my Xbox One, no joy. I can play videos on my Windows 10 computer with no issue. Any suggestions?

Answers

• Tdawg410Tdawg410 Posts: 62Members ✭✭

Suggestions?! Lol... Just gotta deal with it like the rest of us. Plex apparently can't figure it out. Much like FF and RWD that's still a joke.

Scroll down and up you'll see plenty of others with the same issue.

• TheStaxTheStax Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 4

Movies play fine for me on the Xbox One as long as they aren't transcoding.

Option 1: Use the optimize feature and make optimized versions for the Xbox One. The Xbox One settings are under custom.

Option 2: Setup a secondary server on a more powerful computer. I've been using optimize for awhile but before that I had a second plex server on my gaming PC. My gaming PC is powerful enough to transcode anything on the fly.

• OzzyCOzzyC Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanx... was hoping there was answer that I missed somewhere.

• WwombattWwombatt Posts: 5Members ✭✭

The buffering issue is pretty horrible indeed. What is so silly about it is that most of the time shutting down the plex app on the xbox and restarting it allows it to continue streaming. But recently I'm having problems that briefly after the buffering screen appears the xbox app reports the server is unreachable, and restarting won't fix it (even though it says it will try to reconnect automatically)
    When looking at the computer the server seems fine, but all I can do then is kill the server on my computer an restart it.

It is however getting very annoying. These issues have been here ever since the revamp of the xbox app... and they seem to be worsening.

• Tdawg410Tdawg410 Posts: 62Members ✭✭

@TheStax said:
    Movies play fine for me on the Xbox One as long as they aren't transcoding.

Option 1: Use the optimize feature and make optimized versions for the Xbox One. The Xbox One settings are under custom.

Option 2: Setup a secondary server on a more powerful computer. I've been using optimize for awhile but before that I had a second plex server on my gaming PC. My gaming PC is powerful enough to transcode anything on the fly.

Its not a server issue, its a client issue.

• mjstewmjstew Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Can someone please fix this? Enough is enough. At least an update on WTF you are doing about it!!!

• BoosSoulreaverBoosSoulreaver Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 13

Can't watch anything at the moment as any file will buffer then play for about 30seconds buffer again. Wife is really pissed - not a good situation. I have the Xbox one x - everything was fine until about a week ago around the 7th May. Transcoding doesn't do anything same result every time.

• ThunderVamp9ThunderVamp9 Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yeah, been watching a movie tonight, I must have buffered at least 10 times in it so far tonight. This Xbox version is getting pretty much unusable at this point.

• BoosSoulreaverBoosSoulreaver Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So got mine to work by restarting the xbox. Maybe the Plex app has some sort of buffer over run problem therefore ram is getting chockers.