If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

The Renamer on Windows 10 1803

GAMeGAMe Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi all,

Are you guys out there still using "The Renamer" for movies and TV show naming? I have been using it for ages and absolutely love it however the developer has not shown it some love for some time. I have just upgraded my Windows 10 to version 1803 and now the renamer wont run at all. I cant see anything in the event logs and I have tried running it in compatability mode but sadly no luck :-( Any one else spotted this? know of a fix? know of a decent alternative?

Thanks

:-)

Answers

• SilverseeSilversee Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 9

So, I don't use The Renamer, but I have an alternative workflow that I can share.

For my library, I don't only want the files named correctly, but I also want to ensure that they have correct embedded tags including artwork for applications beyond Plex. So typically I run a utility to automatically apply movie / TV info to the files, and then a tool to rename the files based on the embedded metadata.

On Windows I have used MyMeta from the Microsoft Store and MetaX, which is also available for Mac. Both of these utilities can look up information in TTVDB and TMDB and tag files automatically.

For renaming (and to "fix up" tags for consistency if needed), I use MP3Tag. You can set up a custom renaming action using a template that matches Plex naming conventions. Although MP3Tag is mostly known for tagging music files, it also works with MP4 files, and is a kind of "Swiss army knife" of metadata editors.

All of these tools have batch modes that can work with multiple files at once.

It may sound a bit fussy, but I like the control this approach offers.

• Chocoa510Chocoa510 Posts: 1Members

@GaMe

Had the same issues with 'The Renamer" I searched around and found the following to be the nearest.

• Its JAVA GUI based.
    • Can do multiple files, folders, drag & drop.
    • The output name can be tailored to what you prefer.
    • windows, osx, linux in x86 and x64 flavours.

it has a website and also on GitHub....

Give it a try - Im happy with it for TV series.

• token2k6token2k6 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I thought it was just me! Tried all the same stuff as OP. Definitely ver 1803 bc I can still run it on 1709. Will try the one on GitHub..not too thrilled to pay $20 for FileBot

• Euler13Euler13 Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes, I can confirm the update breaks it. I have updated three machines now and it stops working on each one after the update. Unfortunately the forum is closed and there is no announcement on the website. I sent an email to the developer, but it bounced back because the inbox was full. So hopefully this is because lots of people have contacted Alfred and he's getting around to a fix. It is a really great app and I've sent multiple donations over the years to support it.

• DedrenDedren Posts: 37Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Damn, I was hoping there was a solution. So far none of the other solutions suggested is as comprehensive. MyMeta doesn't support the vast majority of file types I have, Filebot apparently has a terrible developer, tvrenamer.org doesn't do it automatically, etc. I didn't realize there was really only one solution to this until I had to go looking. Hopefully, we'll find something else.

• Euler13Euler13 Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 19

I agree, Debren. theRenamer is brilliant. Not only does it allow full customisation of renaming, but it handles the directory file structure automatically as well, with full customisation.

I checked out TVRenamer. It's a single executable file - no install - but it seems to do a good job of identifying the TV shows and has an impressive customisation template, but I'm not sure if directory handling is as versatile. Interestingly on my 64-bit machine the 64-bit executable doesn't work. I have to use the 32-bit version. In the meantime it is a very good alternative, but I'll have to play with the moving element to see if it works as well.

• c01000100c01000100 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sad day. I've become dependent on theRenamer over the years. Hopefully I don't have to resort to writing a replica in Python.

• Matt EnceMatt Ence Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here. Tried all compatibility modes and admin, the renamer still fails to launch.
    Following to see if a solution is forthcoming.

• LTracteLTracte Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

hoping for a fix ASAP. ive become so dependent on the renamer to organize my media library. in the absence of this program, can someone recommend something else that can possibly take its place?

• pauldeanspauldeans Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thought I was going nuts... :D

Hopefully some clever cookie gets a workaround. I also use TinyMediaManager and after the Win10 Update it stopped working too...

Using Tapatalk
  • yiotivyiotiv Posts: 1Members

So I uninstalled the latest update and it seems to work. Hopefully they will resolve this soon so I can update again.(not that I see any serious reason to, but anyway)

• natemacnatemac Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This post made me sad, I thought it was just me... does it have to do with Adobe Flash? I noticed it was somehow built with that, even though I don’t have flash installed.

• jeffrey84jeffrey84 Posts: 1Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Having the same issue. Been using it for years. great utility.