If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Unable to play Media

MarceauxMarceaux Posts: 2Members

I currently use Plex through the official app that came pre-installed on my Nvidia SHIELD... Every plugin that I have installed came from the official Plex channel page via the media server through the web. The channels that I have installed are: ABC, NBC, CBS, The CW, FOX, NICK, Paramount Network & Free Form... No matter which channel, or what show I pick from any of these plugins, I get the message of 'unable to play media', it worked just fine yesterday. This seems to be an issue with the Android platform as I get the same message if I do the same thing via the app from the Google Play Store through my Sony x900e smart TV which is Android based, but I'm not sure...

If I go through the PMP through the web (i.e. Google Chrome), & pick any random show on any of the plugin channels, that show will play perfectly.. I'm also able to watch the shows on my PS4 & Xbox too, just not on my Nvidia SHIELD... I did notice that on my PS4 & Xbox that the TV providers are under the tab labeled "channels"... I also noticed that on my SHIELD those providers aren't under the tab that says "channels" as that has been changed to say "plugins" now, which I thought was odd & that's the only thing that's changed in my entire setup, which makes me think that maybe that little change is causing the problem, as I've said, I don't know, I just know that yesterday that tab said "channels" on my SHIELD & the shows played, & now it says "plugins" & the shows give me that error message, then again through the web (Google Chrome) based player it's labeled "plugins" & they play fine... I'm at my wits end trying to figure out why I can no longer play any shows via these plugins through my Nvidia SHIELD... The Server is up to date as it's showing Version 1.13.0.5023

I've already cleared the data on the actual SHIELD, uninstalled the updates & took it back to factory settings there, & then did a restart on my device. I then came to my computer, uninstalled all the plugin channels & uninstalled the media server & everything else to do with Plex from my computers hard drive via the uninstall program feature. I then reinstalled PMS on my computer & made sure everything was up to date on my SHIELD, I then reinstalled the plugin channels & tried again, & I'm still getting the error...

I'm confused & need help...

Answers

• sander1sander1 Channel Developer/Admin Posts: 3,735Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Plex plugins used to be called "Channels", but with the introduction of DVR and Live TV this can cause confusion. That's why the term "Plugins" is going to be used from now on. Some Plex clients have already changed the naming, others haven't yet.

If a plugin works on at least 1 Plex client, then the plugin works OK. If there are issues on other platforms, the issue is almost certainly with that specific platform and NOT with the plugin code. All a plugin does is provide Plex with metadata of a video (title, description, duration, thumbnail, etc) and a URL to a video. After that it is up to the client and server to determine how to handle that data.

• innova521innova521 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 9

i have two phones(android moto x4 and moto x 2nd gen), one phone updated the app last night (moto x4)and i now get "unable to play media" when playing any of my plugins. I have tried fox news, jupiter broadcasting and comedy central. None of them work. moto x 2nd gen works just fine and the app has not updated. All my other content works

• nwerthnwerth Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 10

My server updated night before last, and my android app must have updated too, because it now shows plugins instead of channels. Like others here, all plugins now report unable to play media. Everything was cool a couple days ago.
    Tried deleting and reinstalling channels to no avail.
    Tried playing from the server itself and it worked fine, so maybe the app in play store needs fixing?

Update: Workaround

Play Store version of Plex is 6.17 and doesn't work.

Amazon App Store version is 6.15 and works fine. Still says channels instead of plugins. Hopefully they don't update to 6.17...

• Frisco70Frisco70 Posts: 1Members

Thanks nwerth,
    I confirm that 6.15 is working and was the only success I have had when playing Channels in PLEX on my Nvidia Shield. Just UNINSTALL UPDATES when selecting PLEX at the Google Playstore.

• innova521innova521 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 10

So how do I do this on my phone? Can I uninstall updates?

• jimzixjimzix Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass, TunerTester Plex Pass

Same problem here with 6.17 on Android 5.01 tablet. Everything still works fine with Roku, and on my phone which has not updated yet to 6.17 (it is set up for manual updates only!) Hopefully the Plex Android team will get a quick handle on this. I use the Tablo plugin a lot to connect to my home Tablo while I am away from the house.

Tech aside: it fails both on my local wifi network AND on the ATT wireless network. "Unable to play media" message comes up as soon as you click the "play" icon.

• bazaldbazald Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having this issue with my Android TV (XBR-X900E) too, as of a couple of days ago. I'm currently on server version 1.13.0.5023-31d3c0c65.

It's a real downer. I'd love to see it fixed soon.

• FamilySimonFamilySimon Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

My server shows everything healthy but my Android device certainly is not working. Here's the related log events from my Android device:
    05-11 12:52:25.877 i: [PlaybackManager] Preparing for
    05-11 12:52:25.877 i: [DefaultPlaybackManager] Initial passthrough dialog should be only displayed on ATV.
    05-11 12:52:25.880 i: [DefaultPlaybackManager] No codecs being downloaded.
    05-11 12:52:25.881 i: [PlayQueues] Cannot create remote PQ because item is not a library or playlist item or radio or gracenote collection.
    05-11 12:52:25.882 i: Showing toast: Unable to play media

• gijsfijngijsfijn Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

i can confirm I have the same issues since 2 days (from may 11yh). All channels / pluginns 'NOS' or RTL XL are given the same response on play 'media not found'

• Tech MannenTech Mannen Posts: 1Members

I can confirm as well, same issue on Iphone and Android based phones. i tried on a PC aswell. there i get "An error occurred trying to play "any show". shaka3015/3016 (Media)" tested on Firefox, Edge, Chrome.
    Tried reverting plugins to older plugins that worked, but the same. so its not an issue with the "plugins"
    Issues appears after updating PMS to version that changed channels -> plugins.
    will gladly share logs if requested.

• sander1sander1 Channel Developer/Admin Posts: 3,735Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@gijsfijn said:
    i can confirm I have the same issues since 2 days (from may 11yh). All channels / pluginns 'NOS' or RTL XL are given the same response on play 'media not found'

Confirm as in this fails only on Android and works on other clients?

• gijsfijngijsfijn Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@sander1 said:

@gijsfijn said:

I use Android TV / KDL-55W755C / SWV PKG5.381.0167EUA

Plex version : 1.13.0.5023-31d3c0c65

I use only plex on android tv and apple tv.

The version on Apple TV works fine... no errors on this ios app.

@gijsfijn said:

@sander1 said:

@gijsfijn said:

I use Android TV / KDL-55W755C / SWV PKG5.381.0167EUA

Plex version : 1.13.0.5023-31d3c0c65

I use only plex on android tv and apple tv.

The version on Apple TV works fine... no errors on this ios app.

Thanks for confirming and listing your devices! I'm now 99.9% sure this is really and Android issue.

• chasbel2112chasbel2112 Posts: 1Members

I've had the same issue with all Plex Channel Plugins for about a week now on my NVIDIA Shield TV, which is where I run the server itself from as well.

• abigllama2abigllama2 Posts: 24Members ✭✭

@nwerth said:
    My server updated night before last, and my android app must have updated too, because it now shows plugins instead of channels. Like others here, all plugins now report unable to play media. Everything was cool a couple days ago.
    Tried deleting and reinstalling channels to no avail.
    Tried playing from the server itself and it worked fine, so maybe the app in play store needs fixing?

Update: Workaround

Play Store version of Plex is 6.17 and doesn't work.

Amazon App Store version is 6.15 and works fine. Still says channels instead of plugins. Hopefully they don't update to 6.17...

Thanks, just reverted to the 6.15 in the amazon store an the problem is solved.

• slcolsonslcolson Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same problem on my system running on NVIDIA Shield TV. Plugins work great when I play them from a web browser, but not when played on the NVIDIA shield client or from an Android client.

• bazaldbazald Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 15

I'm not 100% sure it's an Android-only issue. I've tried playing videos in the web player and everything just keeps loading forever after I hit play. Nothing ever actually starts playing. I've mostly tried Comedy Central and NBC.

• Costp001Costp001 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I can confirm it too : android phone, Chromecast, android tv aren't working. Going back to 6.15 works....

• robg1977robg1977 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 15

Same issue with channels here. After app update to v6.17 with label change to Plugins, getting "Unable to play media" error on:

Nexus player - Android 8
    3 Android phones - Android 6, 7, & 8
    Android tablet - Android 6

Seems to still work without error on:

Roku - v5.1.5, up to date, still shows as channels
    Apple TV - v1.27 still says channels, updated 4/25, no new updates available
    iPad - v4.28, up to date, still shows as channels
    Web player on Windows 10 (I tried chrome and edge)

All connected to the same Plex server, currently on v1.12. I usually wait to see how many glitches and problems new versions come with, or skip updates entirely after past bad experiences with rushed new features ruining the basic media playback functionality, but will try updating to 1.13 later tonight. But, from other comments, seems pretty safe to say this will not solve the Android app plugin change problem