Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PMS service exiting with code=exited, status=127

putoguiriputoguiri Members Posts: 10 ✭✭

Today I ran apt-get upgrade to update my Plex media server.

The update ran as usual but once it finished my Plex service wouldn't start. After doing some digging and running:

journalctl -xe

I found the possible error

/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_locale.so.1.59.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory plexmediaserver.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=127/n/a

I checked and the file exists and has permissions to be executed.

I run raspbian jessie and have a symlink at /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server to an external disk. Though that never gave me troubles.

Best Answer

Answers

• uglymagoouglymagoo Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Posts: 1,083 Plex Ninja
    edited May 9

@putoguiri said:
    I run raspbian jessie and have a symlink at /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server to an external disk. Though that never gave me troubles.

Why? I can understand if someone moves the Library dir /var/lib/plexmediaserver, but why /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server? And why the executable? That directory /usr/lib/plexmediaserver only contains about 100MB. Please leave it as it is without any symlink. Just remove that symlink and reinstall my package.

Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon

• putoguiriputoguiri Members Posts: 10 ✭✭

@uglymagoo said:

@putoguiri said:

Why? I can understand if someone moves the Library dir /var/lib/plexmediaserver, but why /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server? And why the executable? That directory /usr/lib/plexmediaserver only contains about 100MB. Please leave it as it is without any symlink. Just remove that symlink and reinstall my package.

Sorry, I have a symlink in /var/lib/plexmediaserver not /usr/lib/plexmediaserver. As you state it wouldn't make a lot of sense.

• uglymagoouglymagoo Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Posts: 1,083 Plex Ninja

Did you by any chance create an override.conf file or edit the service file?

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/286395/customizing-your-plex-configuration

Is there enough free space on your sd card left? Please just try to reinstall Plex with sudo apt-get install --reinstall plexmediaserver-installer.

Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository

edited May 10

No, I have no override.conf.

I already tried reinstalling plexmediaserver with apt-get install --reinstall plexmediaserver with no results. Also, rebooting did not change anything.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall plexmediaserver-installer throws:

`rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/iso_schematron_skeleton_for_xslt1.xsl’: Structure needs cleaning

rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/iso_schematron_message.xsl’: Structure needs cleaning

rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/iso_abstract_expand.xsl’: Structure needs cleaning

rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/iso_dsdl_include.xsl’: Structure needs cleaning

rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/iso_svrl_for_xslt1.xsl’: Structure needs cleaning

rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/readme.txt’: Structure needs cleaning

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/plexmediaserver-installer_1.13.0.5023-31d3c0c65-1_armhf.deb (--unpack):

subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1

Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/plexmediaserver-installer_1.13.0.5023-31d3c0c65-1_armhf.deb

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)`

@uglymagoo said:
    Did you by any chance create an override.conf file or edit the service file?

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/286395/customizing-your-plex-configuration

Is there enough free space on your sd card left? Please just try to reinstall Plex with sudo apt-get install --reinstall plexmediaserver-installer.

No, I have no customizations to the service.

Yersterday I tried running apt-get install --reinstall plexmediaserver with no results. A reboot did not help either.

After running apt-get install --reinstall plexmediaserver-installer it throws:

`rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/iso_schematron_skeleton_for_xslt1.xsl’: Structure needs cleaning

rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/iso_schematron_message.xsl’: Structure needs cleaning

rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/iso_abstract_expand.xsl’: Structure needs cleaning

rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/iso_dsdl_include.xsl’: Structure needs cleaning

rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/iso_svrl_for_xslt1.xsl’: Structure needs cleaning

rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/readme.txt’: Structure needs cleaning

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/plexmediaserver-installer_1.13.0.5023-31d3c0c65-1_armhf.deb (--unpack):

subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1

Errors were encountered while processing:

/var/cache/apt/archives/plexmediaserver-installer_1.13.0.5023-31d3c0c65-1_armhf.deb

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)`

Accepted Answer

Filesystem corruption. Plex not working is just a symptom. To fix your filesystem see e.g.:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/330742/cannot-remove-file-structure-needs-cleaning

@uglymagoo said:
    Filesystem corruption. Plex not working is just a symptom. To fix your filesystem see e.g.:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/330742/cannot-remove-file-structure-needs-cleaning

Thank, I will post an update after fixing the filesystem.

Yes, It was a filesystem corruption issue. It's fixed for now but I'm afraid that this SD card is dying on me.

Thank you for your help!