Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

4K and Raspberry Pi

RisnDevilRisnDevil Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Greetings all. I am currently running my media server on a Mac Mini, and while I don’t hav Le any complaints, I am doing several tech upgrades around my house leading to this thought/question: can I use a Raspberry Pi 3 to run my Plex Media Server AND have it support 4K and HDR without lag/client slowdown? What if the media is stored on a NAS? Would that cause any slowdown? (For the record, I have Ethernet run to most devices, and most of the rest are using 802.11ac, so there shouldn’t be any bandwidth issues.)

Pretty self explanatory there, but thanks for any responses and help.

Answers

• uglymagoouglymagoo Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Posts: 1,083 Plex Ninja

We just discussed this in another thread. If we are talking about 50GB remuxes you will run into bandwidth issues with the RPi3: Only 100 Mbps Ethernet and only 220 Mbps shared bandwidth for USB and Ethernet. Only Direct Play would work reasonably. Even Direct Stream would cause issues. And with 4k/HDR you will require video transcoding at the moment, so this also disqualifies the Pis. And remember that HDR transcoding is still broken in Plex (missing tone mapping).

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/319737/way-to-change-size-of-direct-stream-chunks-in-transcode-folder

Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon

• eckartheckarth Members, Plex Pass Posts: 502 Plex Pass
    edited May 12

You might overcome the bandwidth problem by choosing a bananapi instead, as it offers 1 Gb/s ethernet and separate access to the CPU for ethernet and USB. It also has a SATA port for a HD drive. I would not put the data on a separate NAS. Make the bananapi your NAS.

But as uglymagoo said on-the-fly transcoding 2160p/HDR will require a high performance CPU/GPU. Any Pi will not have that performance, nor do I think the Mac Mini will make you happy.

Prepare the data beforehand offline.

I run a bananapi, but have not tested any of that discussed above.