Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Roku issues with .ts dvr files

mcclure83mcclure83 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 114 Plex Pass
edited May 14 in Roku

Is anyone still having issues with recorded shows on the Roku? I was thinking it was a issue with the Roku version but it hasn't been fixed yet. It will hang at 99% when loading. If I force the file to play, it will but I will not be able to fast forward through parts of the show. It has something to do with trans-coding of the file. If I convert the file to MP4, it doesn't have a problem.

Server - HW - Mobo: Asus Z87-a Proc: I5-4670 @ 3.0 GHz, RAM: 32GB - SW: Win10 Pro
Misc. HW: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 with Clearstream V4 OTA antenna

Answers

• JamminRJamminR Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,537 Plex Pass

Sounds like a server or network spec issue not handling transcoding - what specs/hardware for server?

Server - HW: I7-4790K(Haswell), 16GB - SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.13.2.5154
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 2TB RAID1(Intel Z87) + 4x4TB RAID5(QNAP TS-653Pro)
    Shares - From: 2  - To: 18(5) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    ISP: ~20mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~375gb(~50gb server))
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - Tautulli - UASv3 - FMoviesPlus
  • mcclure83mcclure83 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 114 Plex Pass

@JamminR said:
    Sounds like a server or network spec issue not handling transcoding - what specs/hardware for server?

My computer is a i5 4670 @ 3.4 ghz, 32 Gb of ram and a SSD. I upgraded the computer a while back from a Core 2 quad, never had any issues with it. The problem started with a new version of Plex for Roku. The Roku is connected to a 5 Ghz access point.

Server - HW - Mobo: Asus Z87-a Proc: I5-4670 @ 3.0 GHz, RAM: 32GB - SW: Win10 Pro

What type of Roku? My Roku 2xs has challenges due to its age. Roku 3 no issue.
    Are both server and roku on wifi? Tried testing using Ethernet only?

Shares - From: 2  - To: 18(5) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!

@JamminR said:
    What type of Roku? My Roku 2xs has challenges due to its age. Roku 3 no issue.
    Are both server and roku on wifi? Tried testing using Ethernet only?

The TV is a Roku TV(TCL 40FS3750) which is running off wireless(no ethernet) and the computer is wired to a gigabit network. I have tested on my roku 3 and see similar things.

See this article which describes several steps to help determine cause that could affect what you are seeing.
    https://support.plex.tv/articles/201575036-why-is-my-video-stream-buffering/

If they don't help, attach clean logs after experiencing the issue.
    I can't say I'll be able to read/help, but I'll try, or perhaps someone else can look and see.

@JamminR said:
    See this article which describes several steps to help determine cause that could affect what you are seeing.
    https://support.plex.tv/articles/201575036-why-is-my-video-stream-buffering/

If they don't help, attach clean logs after experiencing the issue.
    I can't say I'll be able to read/help, but I'll try, or perhaps someone else can look and see.

It looks like the speed is between .8 to 1.1. It looks like the streaming started May 31, 2018 12:53:13.012. I have attached the log. I think that it maybe an issue with the plex client or the Roku. I have attached the log. Please let me know what you think.

Do you have hardware acceleration enabled, and is a monitor connected to the server?
    Are you watching Live TV during that sample?
    Or a previously recorded DVR file, as your original post indicated.
    What quality do you have your Roku set to?
    Is there anyway you can try the TV with ethernet, to rule out wireless noise? Even 5ghz may have trouble with wifi.

.9 average speed, unfortunately, isn't really fast enough for transcoding. You really need a constant 1.2+.

@JamminR said:
    Do you have hardware acceleration enabled, and is a monitor connected to the server?
    Are you watching Live TV during that sample?
    Or a previously recorded DVR file, as your original post indicated.
    What quality do you have your Roku set to?
    Is there anyway you can try the TV with ethernet, to rule out wireless noise? Even 5ghz may have trouble with wifi.

.9 average speed, unfortunately, isn't really fast enough for transcoding. You really need a constant 1.2+.

Hardware acceleration is not enabled. The file was previously recorded but it might of been recording another show at that time. I am not sure what the quality is set to on the roku but I will check. Unfortunately, the TV doesn't have a network port so wireless is our only option.

I am going to enable hardware acceleration and see if it helps.

The video is running at original quality, which is 720p but it does record in 5.1 surround sound. Is there a way to make plex record in stereo or a lower quality? She doesn't need high quality.

I watched one of our shows yesterday and plex didn't remove the commercials, probably because there was weather alerts. I turned the quality down and switched it to stereo on the audio. We still had issues with fast forwarding. I would act like it wanted to FF but then when you hit play goes right back to were it was. I then converted the file to MP4 and didn't have any issues FF in that format. This is super frustrating... I am going to test on the xbox and other roku devices and see how they behave. We are in the market for another tv and really like the roku features but this might make us think twice about what kind of smart TV we get.

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Members Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6

Smart TVs, are all pretty dumb - when you get right down to it. Roku TVs are no exception (they are exceptionally dumb).

The TV's apps are cheesy representations of their Device counterparts, are difficult to maintain, upgrade and use. I think the general belief is it's better to just get a great TV, then buy a separate device to use Plex with. I sure do like my Roku 3 and if I ever get over the rage I still feel for the 7.7 Roku Firmware Debacle of 2017 I may, one day, buy a Roku Ultra, but those previous wounds will need more time to heal - and to see if another Roku FW debacle pops up (expect that to happen any day now).

Smart TV?
    Just say, No.

I bought one once... never again.

As for .ts files:
    https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Audio+and+Video+Support
    you'll see Roku doesn't support them, so unless you're converting these files to compatible formats beforehand, Plex is going to 'remux' or 'transcode' them - and for users with low powered servers this is going to be a problem.

Would I suggest something other than a Roku?
    No, that would be foolish considering the disaster that's currently underway with Android Devices:
    https://forums.plex.tv/categories/android-tvs

The Plex App for Roku still stands at the top of the heap of junk Plex is providing in it's apps, but that may also (probably will) require some user fiddling in the container department.

I do not - and never will - watch Live TV Advertising. I do record a LOT of TV, but MCEBuddy automatically converts ALL that material to compatible formats and streams before it ever places material in a Library:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1321322/#Comment_1321322

Can Plex DVR do that? Well... I don't know, but if it can it's probably going to go a lot better if you have a server with lots of horseys under the hood 'cause any time you're re-encoding (transcoding) original material to something else - it's gonna take some strong horseys.

B)

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

@JuiceWSA said:

As for .ts files:
    https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Audio+and+Video+Support
    you'll see Roku doesn't support them, so unless you're converting these files to compatible formats beforehand, Plex is going to 'remux' or 'transcode' them - and for users with low powered servers this is going to be a problem.

Would I suggest something other than a Roku?
    No, that would be foolish considering the disaster that's currently underway with Android Devices:
    https://forums.plex.tv/categories/android-tvs

The Plex App for Roku still stands at the top of the heap of junk Plex is providing in it's apps, but that may also (probably will) require some user fiddling in the container department.

I do not - and never will - watch Live TV Advertising. I do record a LOT of TV, but MCEBuddy automatically converts ALL that material to compatible formats and streams before it ever places material in a Library:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1321322/#Comment_1321322

Can Plex DVR do that? Well... I don't know, but if it can it's probably going to go a lot better if you have a server with lots of horseys under the hood 'cause any time you're re-encoding (transcoding) original material to something else - it's gonna take some strong horseys.

B)

I use MCEbuddy to convert manually but I don't have anything setup to do it automatically. I messed with the postprocessing script but I would have to pay for MCE to get the CLi. I could have it monitor a location and convert but there is some shows that I don't want it to spend the time converting, like her soaps because it isn't worth it because they are deleted right away.

I like the smart TV, especially the Roku because it is easy for the kids to use with out messing with switching in puts. Generally plex does a good job removing commercials but there are time that it will not. I have noticed that if there is weather warnings, it will have problems detecting. Right now I usually convert to MP$ so that the Roku can handle it better, plus it saves on space.

I feel that I have a good amount of horseys :-) My specs are in the signature.