If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

"Unable to connect to this server securely"

KoopaTroopasKoopaTroopas Posts: 2Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited May 14 in Linux

Hello,

I've been working on this problem for a few days now, trying to get my plex server working correctly. I have setup a reverse proxy using nginx for plex, as well as a SSL setup for my domain as a whole including plex. Whenever I try to connect to my server using https://mydowmain.net/web Plex loads the page, but then says it cannot connect to my server securely so nothing works. Navigating to https://mydomain:33400 (which is the port I use) gives me a bad cert error, saying it is only for some plex.direct URL. I haven't been able to find a solution for this after a couple days of searching and trying different things so any help would be appreciated. I am using Ubuntu 16.04, Plex Version 1.13.0.5023 , and nginx 1.10.3. I can provide more info if needed, just ask.

Thanks for any help!

Answers

• uglymagoouglymagoo Posts: 974Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja
    edited May 15

My Tip: don't try to setup a reverse proxy for plex. Just access your server via plex.tv in the browser, like anybody else, and everything will be fine. I do not see any benefit in using the proxy and it's also not really supported and even if you have a working setup it could break any time.

And if privacy is your concern: it does not matter if you access your server "directly" or via plex.tv. The data transmitted to plex.tv is the same.

Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon

• KoopaTroopasKoopaTroopas Posts: 2Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 15

I use a reverse proxy because I use a project called Organizr to condense all my services into a single webpage that I can access outside my network. I was finally able to get this working last night by adding a custom cert and custom access URL to the settings under Network on my server. Only issue now is that I am unable to access plex from my work network as they block non-standard ports. Meaning both my domain and plex.tv don't work. Any help with that would be nice, but not really critical.

Also, I forgot to mention it in my OP, but plex.tv was giving the same error as my domain

Thanks

• ComposMentisComposMentis Posts: 1Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 16

I'm using Swizzin for the same organizational purpose and would love to get this worked out as well.

I've tried linking the certificate details to the .pem files as well as the .cer/.key files, but neither seems to work with Plex that way.

@KoopaTroopas - I'll report back here, should I find a solution.