If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How to provide a link to a non-Plex user to shared pictures of a managed account I created for them?

apollothethirdapollothethird Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I created an account for a relative that isn't computer literate. I took photos of a recent family event, and have created a managed account for her. Now I would like to send her a link so that she can view the pictures.

I understand about http://plex.tv but don't know how to send her a direct link to the managed account I created for her. Also, the process suggested that I make a pin for my account didn't give the option of any type of login ID for her managed account.

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Tagged:

Best Answers

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 17,419Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Accepted Answer

Do not use a managed account. Create a regular Plex account for her, then give her the username and password. You can use an email address you have access to incase you need to reset the password or any other account related stuff. Then tell her to use the hosted web app. She will need to login using the username and password you created.

Answers

• AmazingRando24AmazingRando24 Posts: 1,076Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex works on a server/client relationship. I don't think there is a way to direct link to specific items, but you can install a client on one of their devices which should make life a little easier.

If they have a tablet or a PC, install Plex on it. When they open Plex, they will only see libraries you've shared with them. For photos, you can organize on your end by folder and newer items should show up on their dashboard first. Once the connection is made between client and server, there shouldn't be a need for them to even log in.

Plex.tv, or Plex Web as it's often referred to, may not be the most user friendly way for them to get at your stuff. I really only ever use it for admin purposes, or in a pinch when I'm somewhere and installing a client just isn't needed for long term.

PMS Server: Intel i7-6700 16gb RAM Dedicated Windows 10 PC
    DVR Lineup: Dual HDHomeRun Extend Tuners
    NAS: Drobo 5n2-15tb / Drobo B800fs 24tb

"It's amazing what replacing one faulty network cable will do for your Plex performance!"

• apollothethirdapollothethird Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for the input. I'm in New York, and my niece is in Florida. The event was this weekend. I understand that she might start to like plex and get more into it. But I don't have access to install an App on computers or devices. While I have Plex apps installed on all my devices, I usually use the Web app myself, because I find using the computer very convenient... especially since it very easy stream the content from my computer's web browser to my TV.

If I were there, I would go to the Web and share the content with her and her family.

At present, I don't know what steps to give her for accessing the content from the Web. The only way I know how to do it is to log into Plex.TV with my credentials and start browsing. I'm not anxious to give her my username and password to log in. I would hope that any guest that I provide managed accounts to will not have access to be distracted by all the content on my server, which wouldn't be of interest to them. I am hoping this feature is giving them some type of login to my server where they only see the shared content of which I specify.

I have been using Plex for a couple of years, and have shared content with other Plex users here in New York. When they log in they see everything on my server, also, I see everything on their server. I also see all the users on their server, and they see all the users on my server. I tell them not to use my account for viewing because I want to keep a log of what I last viewed and where I left off. If they use my account, the next time I log on, it will resume from where they left off.

I don't want to have to go through all those details with my Niece. Also, I'm sure her children will also play on her account. So I there could be a lot of confusion with the viewing history.

I would also prefer that they don't see the accounts from the other users who I manage on my server.

I'm sure there is a lot to be learned. But hopefully, someone understanding what I'm describing can help me get a good starting point.

I really think the web interface is best suited for the job. She won't have to install anything on her computer and can share it with her other cousins and siblings.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 17,419Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Accepted Answer

Do not use a managed account. Create a regular Plex account for her, then give her the username and password. You can use an email address you have access to incase you need to reset the password or any other account related stuff. Then tell her to use the hosted web app. She will need to login using the username and password you created.

• apollothethirdapollothethird Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@MovieFan.Plex said:

Thanks!

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames