Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex library keeps on updating unless disconnected from network drive

2»

Answers

• trumpy81trumpy81 Posts: 11,044Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited May 17

From your logs:

May 17, 2018 07:14:50.396 [0x7f7c127ff700] DEBUG - Request: [127.0.0.1:34938 (Loopback)] GET /:/metadata/updateProgressMessage?message=Scanning%20Geostorm%20(2017) (18 live) GZIP Signed-in Token (clarkmahy)
    May 17, 2018 02:09:05.654 [0x7f7c0b111700] DEBUG - Have a missing thumbnail, attempting to regenerate

Plex is still adding your media to it's database. That involves a lot of operations and may take some time to complete. The second line shown above also shows that Plex is regenerating thumbnails.

May 17, 2018 07:32:51.731 [0x7fece37e4800] DEBUG - Adding file for scanner: "/volume1/Media/Movies/300 Rise of an Empire (2014)/.DS_Store"

I don't know why you are unable to see them, possibly because you are using a Mac which hides them by default, but you do indeed have .DS_Store files/folders scattered among your media files. They should not hurt anything, but they will increase the scanning times by a small amount.

You could SSH into the NAS and then delete them manually, using this command:

find /volume* -name \.DS_Store -print -exec rm -rf {} \;

That will search the entire NAS and it should display them and delete them for you. It may take a few minutes to complete.

In any case, you need to let Plex finish downloading metadata and adding the files to your libraries etc. After that things should settle down and return to normal. Lots of scanning etc. is expected when you first set up new Plex libraries.

Do make sure you have the following in Plex settings > server > library:

Enable - Scan my library automatically
    Disable - Run a partial scan when changes are detected

Generate video preview thumbnails set to never
    Generate chapter thumbnails set to never

Generating thumbnails can take a lot of time and will use a fair amount of disk space in the process.

Edit: Well done on the file organisation and naming too. 100% passmarks on that :)

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks
2»