If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Regularly swap media libraries

revellerreveller Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

A little backstory: We are moving onto a sailboat soon. Over the past year, I've built up a PMS on an odroid XU4 octo-core device. Currently, my library lives on a 4TB external spinning drive. Due to the motion of the boat, I want to avoid spinning disks and go to SSDs. I don't want to hassle with a RAID as we may be away from sources of new drives for quite some time. Rather than build out a NAS of SSDs, I want to have separate libraries of media on different SSDs. For example, I could have one drive for my movies, one drive for my wife's movies and a third drive for our combined media. This way, if one drive gets corrupted, we don't lose the entire array, just that sub-library.

How will Plex handle swapping out the entire media library on a regular basis? Is there a better way to deal with this type of situation?

Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• revellerreveller Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for the info. From your comment, I take it that I should I mount each drive at a separate mount points. I should just need to umount the outgoing drive, physically swap in the incoming drive and then mount it to its own, separate /mnt/ point. Correct?

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 17,419Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Yeah. Make each drive it's own media library and each library will point to it's respective mount point. So you will see 3, 4, 5, etc. libraries, but only the one that is mounted will work. If you want to mount more than one, you can. If you want it so only the library and the drive you have mounted will show, that is more difficult to accomplish.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 22,245Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

If I may augment?

It is possible to have Linux preconfigured with different mount points based on the UUID of the file system.

This as the foundation, you can 'swap out' SSDs when power is off.
    When the system boots, Linux will mount the SSD at the location PMS is expecting it.
    PMS will then see the media files for that section.

The only caveat here is to make sure PMS does not remove any 'Not Available" media (those library sections which are unplugged) during normal library scans and maintenance.

If you look in Linux Tips at the top of this forum , you'll see how I show USB media. Swapping SSD media is the same technique.

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Hosts: Fedora, QNAP, Synology, most Linux distros in VM

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• revellerreveller Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thank you both for your helpful information. I will head out this weekend to buy a few drives and start segmenting out my libraries and do some experimenting.

@ChuckPA I will definitely use UUID-based mount points. Thanks for the reminder!