Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Unable to play 4k - Direct Play

Hi,

I have plex server installed in a Proliant N54L server that runs correctly with the last version.
My TV is a UE55JU7000 model which runs 4k content correctly when using a hard disk or pendrive connected to it.
I have the last version of plex client for this TV.
I have tried playing 4k content using direct play (not transcoding, just playing in the original quality) and its not possible to run it, it is buffering or stopping all the time.

My local network connection is gigabit and CAT6 cable (i dont use wifi connection). I have tried connecting a computer to the RJ45 cable that i use to connect the TV ( to test the speed) and its transferring files from the server at 90-100MB/s speed, so all seems to be OK in the network speed.

Any way to solve that problem?
I have a Xbox One X (the last xbox version that runs 4k games) with plex client installed too, and I have the same problem with 4k content.

Thank you.

Answers

• i_Nesti_Nest Members Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited May 28

CAT6 is a Gigabyte ethernet (1000 MB) cable, but network ports on Smart TV's are fast ethernet (100 MB) so huge files like 4K mkv's will struggle to direct play, direct stream or even transcode.

Unless your Plex Client (The Orca one basicly, other ones like the official are crap...) is really good at playing stuff and you have a Gigabyte port available on your device forget playing any file with bitrates higher tan 30-35 Mbps.

• petazetaspetazetas Members Posts: 12 ✭✭

@i_Nest said:
    CAT6 is a Gigabyte ethernet (1000 MB) cable, but network ports on Smart TV's are fast ethernet (100 MB) so huge files like 4K mkv's will struggle to direct play, direct stream or even transcode.

Unless your Plex Client (The Orca one basicly, other ones like the official are crap...) is really good at playing stuff and you have a Gigabyte port available on your device forget playing any file with bitrates higher tan 30-35 Mbps.

Thank you for the answer!

2 questions:

1.-
    So which would be the solution or the best way to play 4K on a Smart TV?

2.-
    On the other hand, the problem is that this exact problem is happening in my Xbox One X when using the Plex client too (the last console of Microsoft), and it has Gigabit Ethernert port. So i am not sure why on the Xbox One X its not playing correctly and its buffering everytime with large 4k files.

Thank you.

• i_Nesti_Nest Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

Creo por tu nick que casi que en español mejor ;)

La respuesta simple es... No lo sé. Me han dicho que la nvidia shield funciona bien y tiene puerto gigabit, pero es que básicamente NINGÚN hardware soporta tantos drivers como una smart TV Samsung y no hay ninguna aplicación que haya probado que funcione tan bien como la de Orca.

He probado la oficial de Plex para Samsung Tizen, la de PS3 y 4, la de iOS, por web y Apple TV y es que no hay color. A no ser que haya cambiado mucho el tema desde la última -y por lo que os leo a quienes probáis plex desde otros dispositivos con software desarrollado por ellos- los que tenemos una samsung J series o anterior (con puerto fast ethernet) estamos poco más que jodidos.

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 7,620 Plex Ninja

I can't promise this will do the trick, but remember that 4K video always needs the app to be set in Direct Play mode manually.
    When you leave it in "Auto" it will always start transcoding because 4K files are way beyond the 20K limit which will force a transcode if the "Auto" setting is used.
    Also 4K files need to be in a Samsung compatible format. Depending on the codec used there are also limits to the bandwidth, check your manual there should be a table like the one in this post.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation