Our forum migration to Discourse will be going on starting late today June 19 to 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Feature Request: Sub Alpha Categories under Artist

jmw_plexjmw_plex Posts: 12Members ✭✭
edited May 22 in Sonos

Having a lot of albums, when I do I pick Artists, it takes for ever to load. If it would go to Alpha categories (A,B,C, etc) then it would just have to load the Alpha Numeric Sub Categories. Which would be much quicker. If I want to load Styx, I would pick Plex, Artist, S, Styx. Right now I pick Plex, Artist, and then have to wait and scroll down to S which takes a lot of time. I am sure with a smaller library this might not be an issue, but with lots, it basically makes it useless past the first few artist A,B,C,D... Taking over a minute to get down to the lower letters.

Loving the Plex app for my server other than this!!!!

Also maybe the ability to sort by file/directory structure would be helpful also since that is how I store them. That would also give me the same way to find items.

Answers

• johnclaytonjohnclayton Plex-ifier of Smart Speakers Montana, USAPosts: 71Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

With large libraries scrolling through a list of the contents is going to be painful in any context. On Sonos, search is your friend...it'll be the quickest way to get to Styx without scrolling.

Curious, how would you access it on another Plex client?

• jmw_plexjmw_plex Posts: 12Members ✭✭

Yes John, On the Sonos Forums someone suggested using search and it has worked well for me.
    It enabled me to access music effectively this weekend.
    My problem is getting wife and mother in law to use it, LOL.
    Another reason against the search is that requires typing. Which I may or may not feel like doing. Especially on a smaller interface like phone or tablet. Just selecting items is sometimes easier.

If I use the Sonos Music Library Functions, it has a folder pick. I have my music divided into A-Z directories so when I pick folders it return just a list of A,B,C.... Then I can pick B and it returns just the contents of the B directory (a list of B Artist) I then can pick say Beck, and I get a list of his albums.

Basically breaks it down to not trying to return list of everyone from A-Z.

I think the Artist pick in Sonos Music Library Functions also might work this way but cant confirm at moment.

The idea would be to require less data to return when a selection is made.
    Folders would allow me to do this, but I think adding the Artist then A,B,C Filter option would help.

Adding my music directory to Plex is also a pain. If I just add the music folder, it takes a lot of time(days) and sometimes it doesn't even complete, probably timeout, etc. Because Plex has limited options for scanning its also cumbersome. This weekend I started adding folders one by one and letting their scans finish. So I added /music/A and let it scan. Then added /music/B and let it scan, and so on. Now if Plex would add a feature where I could limit scans to the individual folders that would also help. Every time I scan, it does everything. Yes its usually pretty quick if not many changes but still would be nice to individually scan.

Oh, on a side note John, this would be just an issue between Sonos and the Plex server. I don't use any other Plex clients. So not sure about how some of them function. I do know that when working in the Plex server web interface, all interactions are awesome and work well! So If I am playing music to my PC while in the Plex server it is awesome.
    I have lots of Sonos speakers thru my house ~20. So that is normally where I listen to music.

• virgiliomivirgiliomi Posts: 77Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

jmw, what mobile device are you using? When I'm browsing the Artist and Album lists of my Plex music library in the Sonos app on my iPhone, there are letters on the right side of the screen that jump the list to that letter. Not sure if that's done on Android as well or not. And if you don't see it, then maybe it's something coming soon. :)

@virgiliomi said:
    jmw, what mobile device are you using? When I'm browsing the Artist and Album lists of my Plex music library in the Sonos app on my iPhone, there are letters on the right side of the screen that jump the list to that letter. Not sure if that's done on Android as well or not. And if you don't see it, then maybe it's something coming soon. :)

Interesting. I am using Windows 10 PCs and Android Phones and Tablets. I am out of town until late next week, but I will check each when I get back.

@virgiliomi said:

Does the Sonos iOS app still load all artist? In other words if you pick Artist, can you scroll down to the end without the Alpha Filters? When I picked Artist it would take a little time but load in the initial Artist, and I could scroll down to the end say C if still loading, then it fills in and I could scroll further to say G, then it would be blank, and so on.

Even with that loading method, If I have the Alpha Filters or GoTos that will help for sure!

@virgiliomi said:

Tried using a Plex server local on my travel laptop and Windows 10 Sonos App. When picking Artist I don't see any Alpha Filters. Unfortunately my Android phone Sonos doesn't have access to this Sonos system so cant test how it shows up there.

• virgiliomivirgiliomi Posts: 77Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jmw_plex said:
    When I picked Artist it would take a little time but load in the initial Artist, and I could scroll down to the end say C if still loading, then it fills in and I could scroll further to say G, then it would be blank, and so on.

I don't have a super-massive library, so I might not be the best candidate to test... but I was able to scroll quickly from # all the way down to Z. While it did take a moment for artist names to appear once I did that, I scrolled to the end of the artist list with no delay, and the letter separators showed up where they should (i.e. a couple of V's, a couple of W's, a Y, and a Z).

@virgiliomi said:

@jmw_plex said:
    When I picked Artist it would take a little time but load in the initial Artist, and I could scroll down to the end say C if still loading, then it fills in and I could scroll further to say G, then it would be blank, and so on.

I don't have a super-massive library, so I might not be the best candidate to test... but I was able to scroll quickly from # all the way down to Z. While it did take a moment for artist names to appear once I did that, I scrolled to the end of the artist list with no delay, and the letter separators showed up where they should (i.e. a couple of V's, a couple of W's, a Y, and a Z).

I have the list separators but the list is still the whole list and takes the time to load everything down to Z.
    What i was thinking was actual filters so that it doesnt have to load all artist.
    First it just loads A-Z
    Then you pick a letter and it load only those artist.

Yes it works, its just very slow with a big collection so that it might still not have G loaded in a minute.
    Also some issues could be my NAS, my Plex setup, and network. So not saying it is pure Plex issue.
    Just looking for ways to enhance the user inerface. Loading all vs just one letter will always be quicker.

I also have 80% of the tags set up nicely but the other part not. That also may be affecting things.

That is why a folder implementation would be nice also like the Sonos Music library one. That way tags have nothing to do with it. And i could split to folders to make loading manageable also on my own.

On a side note, playing around yesterdday, i picked the Right Click Info. You can get the Artist Info they build in the Plex database. Really Awesome!!!!!! Also the Artist picture is updated to what the Plex adds. Another nice enhancement over the Sonos Music Library which doesnt do that. Also the Popular Tracks feature is sweet!!!! And Recently Played and Recently Added is nice also. Overall this package is nice!!!

I think Plex is going to be my solution to music library. So hoping to add some ideas to even make better!!!

I travel alot, but in the future using it for Video and Pictures (Really its first purpose) will be a winner!!!!

Like mentioned above, i started adding folders one by one nstead of just the music folder. And was able to get them scanned much better. Made it o G before leaving for business. When back next week i will continue and see if that helps with some of the issues. That and cleaning up tags hopefully will clean up speeds some.