Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Remote Access - Manually specific public port bug?

spikemixturespikemixture Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,620 Plex Pass

I have several Plex servers and a static IP from my ISP
2 x Shield pro, 1 x Synology, 1x Qnap, 2 x Windows 10, 1 x Drobo.
At most times the Qnap is the main PMS with a Shield and/or win10 as reserves/backups

So e.g say my PMS is 192.168.100.117 I set up port forwarding in my Asus router to 42117 > 32400
Another server Ip is 192.168.100.107 so port forwarding is 42107 > 32400
So for convenience the port is 42 + my PMS's IP last 3 digits
I might have 5 PF with this style of setup
So here is the bug
I manually put in "Manually speciify public port" to 42117 and click apply!
Connecting to Server - says in red "Not available outside your network"
Untick "Manually speciify public port" and click RETRY and a random port is next to Public 123.123.123.123- random port
Connecting to server goes to green "Fully accessible outside your network"

Ok so it is working but not with the Set PF !
But sometimes I re click apply with the manual box ticked and I get the green "Fully accessible outside your network"
i.e. with the set PF number
Other times I disable then re- enable and i get green - but not always.
This happens on ALL my servers.

I cannot find a consistent or common setup.
Some of my servers have "Manually " box ticked and other's don't.
And next time I try the opposite will work!

I cannot image i am on my own with this issue!

I guess 2 questions to the gurus here is :
Does it matter ?
Why am I port forwarding if not needed?

Plex related : NAS Qnap TVS-1282, (Plex server & main storage) Synology 1817+ (backup Plex server & backup storage), 2x NUC (Skull i7 , i5), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shield Pros (backup Plex servers)(2017 and 2015)
Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 pro and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick, 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I give MY opinion from MY experience!

So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

Comments

• spikemixturespikemixture Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,620 Plex Pass

Gurus and geeks !

No ideas??

Plex related : NAS Qnap TVS-1282, (Plex server & main storage) Synology 1817+ (backup Plex server & backup storage), 2x NUC (Skull i7 , i5), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shield Pros (backup Plex servers)(2017 and 2015)
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 pro and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick, 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

• audiomixeraudiomixer Members, Plex Pass Posts: 225 Plex Pass
    edited June 5

Not sure this is the same issue, but since the shield Oreo update and me having to do a total shield reset (would not re-boot and even after I removed the sd card to finally get it to reboot, PMS would no longer sartup no matter what I tried) and when I setup everything up from scratch, did PMS function again using adopted storage. Before all this, my shield PMS was working great and perfectly accessible outside the network. Not any more. I have my port forwarding set as before and the address of the shield assigned as before with the same settings and addresses. Sometimes I get green on outside accessible but it doesn’t stay that way. It’s as if the shield goes to sleep and PMS along with it.
    Again, maybe different than your situation. I too have noticed what you are saying. My synology nas and Mac mini servers are perfectly accessible at all times. Not sure what I am missing here.

• spikemixturespikemixture Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,620 Plex Pass

@audiomixer said:
    Not sure this is the same issue, but since the shield Oreo update and me having to do a total shield reset (would not re-boot and even after I removed the sd card to finally get it to reboot, PMS would no longer sartup no matter what I tried) and when I setup everything up from scratch, did PMS function again using adopted storage. Before all this, my shield PMS was working great and perfectly accessible outside the network. Not any more. I have my port forwarding set as before and the address of the shield assigned as before with the same settings and addresses. Sometimes I get green on outside accessible but it doesn’t stay that way. It’s as if the shield goes to sleep and PMS along with it.
    Again, maybe different than your situation. I too have noticed what you are saying. My synology nas and Mac mini servers are perfectly accessible at all times. Not sure what I am missing here.

One thing I have not tried but i think was an issue in the past.
    That being - even though the light goes red it is still available remotely!!
    Worth checking !

• audiomixeraudiomixer Members, Plex Pass Posts: 225 Plex Pass
    edited June 10

So far when it’s red then it is not accessible from outside at all. What I did do was to go into my asus router and remove the port forwarding for the shield and allow PMS to handle via UPnP. My mini and Synology NAS has port forwarding set manually and they work fine as well. So far it is working perfectly. Time will tell. Also the latest version of PMS just released seems to be working fine with metadata for TV shows and adopted storage is also working well with PMS.