Our forum migration to Discourse will be going on starting late today June 19 to 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Unable to delete media when using Samsung TV Plex App

Sioux142Sioux142 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have 5 Samsung TV's, all running Plex App version 2.011

Samsung UE48JU6740UXXU
Samsung UE32F6200AKXXU
Samsung UE22F5400 (x2)
Samsung UE22H5610

My server is running PMS version 1.13.2.5102.

When I try to delete media via any of the TV's I get the message "Action not allowed - The server setting prohibits the removal of media".

When checking my server settings, Library > Advanced > Allow Media Deletion is checked.

Further, if I then open Plex on my iPhone, it allows me to delete media.

Also, if I then open Plex Media Player v2.10.0.849 on my PC, it allows me to delete media.

I also have a old Samsung TV which is not a Smart TV however it has a Amazon Box attached to it. I can delete files from that platform as well.

It is ONLY the Samsung TV's that will not allow me to delete media. I have uninstalled Plex from the TV's, restarted TV, re-installed Plex but it hasn't fixed the issue. Going by the TV it would appear the PMS is the issue however all other platforms have no issues deleting media from those platforms which suggests the PMS is fine and it is the Samsung Plex App that is the issue thinking it doesn't have permission to delete files.

I do not have additional accounts, just my main user account set up, so it's nothing to do with "Other Users".

All devices are logged in with my account. I'm really baffled now and would appreciate any advice or suggestions,

All was fine up until the last week or so where previous to this I could delete media via the Samsung Plex App with no issues

Stephen

Best Answers

Answers

• PulperPulper Posts: 144Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same issue, deleting via Plex for Samsung doesn´t work. With Plex for Android no problem, as well with Plex web.

Synology NAS ds214play DSM 6.2 - 23739
    with PMS 1.13.2

Samsung UE55HU7200 UHD LED TV

with Plex for Samsung v 2.011

Sony Xperia Z3 compact

with Plex for Android v6.17.0

• gramptongrampton Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I, too, have this exact same issue with the Samsung app on my TV. This behaviour started at some point early last week or late the week before. I believe there was a PMS update around that time...

• piepruipieprui Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

same problem here

• sol_slsol_sl Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same problem here. Started to happen after latest Plex server update - 1.13.2.5102
    Works on other players (web, android) else, except Samsung TV (tried on 2)

• PulperPulper Posts: 144Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

In this case, it is an issue of the PMS? So we´re in the wrong section :o

Synology NAS ds214play DSM 6.2 - 23739
    with PMS 1.13.2

Samsung UE55HU7200 UHD LED TV

with Plex for Samsung v 2.011

Sony Xperia Z3 compact

with Plex for Android v6.17.0

via Email
    It is really hard to tell, but the problem popped up after the last server upgrade. Not sure when the Samsung TV app was updated - I have it set to auto update.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
  • Sioux142Sioux142 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yeah, I was swinging between posting OP in PMS Windows Section or here. I think because PMS appeared fine on other platforms I went with this category. I'm just glad it wasn't only me as I thought I was cracking up !!

• BillyBenzBillyBenz Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thought I was going mad.. same issue here with this Samsung UA65JS8000WXXY TV... Works every where else fine.. There was a Plex App update recently on the TV...

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 17,613Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited May 31

The Samsung Smarthub app does not have that function.

via Email
    One more thing. Same behavior is on Mac and Win versions of PMS - only Samsung TV clients are unable to delete contact. Really annoying, hopefully someone from Plex can chime in on this soon...

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    The Samsung Smarthub app does not have that function.

To delete media ?

It did up until last week and has done for years.

Are you saying the new version (Samsung Plex App version 2.011) has had that capability removed and it is now intentional that we cannot delete media from the Samsung TV Plex App now?

Seems odd to remove that capability from only the Samsung App.

That would then indicate that it is not the fault of the PMS but the actual Samsung App itself to no longer have that function....

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 17,613Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Oh sorry. I did not know that the app had the delete function. Last I checked it did not. I haven't really followed development of that app.

I now see you say there is an error.

When I try to delete media via any of the TV's I get the message "Action not allowed - The server setting prohibits the removal of media".

In the app, enable the logging feature and recreate the problem. Then get me the PMS log.

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,619Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

This isn't a real error, it's all explained in the manual (Page 30)

Delete an item from your library
    The delete item action, represented by a trashcan icon, will allow you to remove the current item from your library (for real!). Because this is a dangerous feature there are a few limitations on its use:
    ● If you are not the admin (owner of the server), the icon will not be available to you.
    ● Restricted users, or users that you shared your content with, will not have the icon either.
    ● Deleting items is only possible if you explicitly gave permission to do so on the server: (see server setting below)

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

Orca,

Hello ! I'm so glad you spotted this post. May I please take this opportunity to afford my sincere thanks to you for such a great App over the years. It is truly a wonder App and the reason I have only Samsung TV's in my house !!

In regard to the issue, yes, this is my entire point.

1. I DO have the "Allow Clients To Delete Media" checked in my Win PMS settings in the advanced.
    2. I am the Admin
    3. I do not have any restricted users (or any other users at all setup up in my account)
    4. I CAN delete media from other platforms, i.e. if I access via my iPad or iPhone, Windows 10 PC running Plex Media Player, my Android tablet - I can delete media from all of those platforms, which indicates my PMS on my Widows Server is setup correctly to allow this function. The issue is then if I walk up to and switch on any of my Samsung TV's, I cannot delete media.

To test this I had a movie in my library. Tried to delete it from Samsung TV. Received error message "Action not allowed - The server setting prohibits the removal of media". Without going back into my computer suite I stood in front of the TV while this message was on screen, opened Plex on my iPhone, navigated to the movie, hit delete and Hey Presto... it deleted as expected.

Then I popped back into the computer suite (or the play room I stole from the children as the wife calls it) and restored the movie from the recycle bin. Rechecked the library and waited for refresh and movie was back. Returned to TV and tried to delete again. Same error message. Then opened my laptop, launched Plex Media Player, went straight to the movie and deleted it from the Windows Laptop with no issue. Did the same o all the other platforms I mentioned.

This is why I'm so confused. If I did not have the server set to allow media deletion, then NONE of these other would allow deletion. It's because I DO have this checked I can't understand why I can't delete from the Samsung App.

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    Oh sorry. I did not know that the app had the delete function. Last I checked it did not. I haven't really followed development of that app.

In the app, enable the logging feature and recreate the problem. Then get me the PMS log.

I've got the log saved out from PMS. Bear with me, I'm just checking the FAQ's and threads for correct protocol to get them to you. Not sure whether to send them to you direct or just add to this thread as a post. I've never had to do it before and want to get it right :)

@Sioux142 said:

@MovieFan.Plex said:

I've got the log saved out from PMS. Bear with me, I'm just checking the FAQ's and threads for correct protocol to get them to you. Not sure whether to send them to you direct or just add to this thread as a post. I've never had to do it before and want to get it right :)

Sorry for delay. Reading through FAQ's etc it indicates that I can simply post the Logs zip file onto the thread.

The first logs I extracted were huge and going back a long time.

I shut down PMS and I renamed the old logs folder. I then restarted PMS to allow Plex to create a new fresh Logs folder. I then went to the Samsung TV App and re-ran the deletion attempts from it then closed the Samsung Plex TV App.

I then downloaded the newer more concise logs so you can see exactly what was going on (attached).

• BillyBenzBillyBenz Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi @Sioux142 and @Orca said "This isn't a real error, it's all explained in the manual (Page 30)"

This only became a "real error" since the last Plex App update on the Samsung TV a few weeks back.. It has worked perfectly for years with the settings/recommendations described through out this post and (Page 30). My server settings haven't changed since the initial installation years ago. My point again it's been working fine for years.
    Cheers

@MovieFan.Plex said:

Thanks for the clean logs. This does make it easier to read. I do see an issue.

Jun 02, 2018 13:33:40.209 [3896] DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [buttonPreplay.js] - Pref allowMediaDeletion: [false]

The app believes the allow deletion setting is turned off on your server. I will check with Orca to see if there is a bug.

@MovieFan.Plex Many thanks for the update.

I guessed it might be easier for you to look at less data to identify anything out of the ordinary. Sometimes less is more !!!

I'm glad you spotted something in the App as I wasn't sure at the beginning to post in this category or the PMS category, but you appear to have vindicated my initial guess !!

I must admit I was glad to see other users having the same problem as initially I was blaming everything from the TV, my server and the dog!!. I even interrogated the children to see if they had been messing about on my PC's !!

Stephen

• thoreirik@gmail.comthoreirik@gmail.com Posts: 4Members ✭✭

I have encountered this problem as well, but it did not turn up until yesterday, after the server update. I have a UE48J5500.