Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Podcast Feature Requests

dinamaeldinamael Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Glad to see podcasts as an option in Plex. Now, let's make it work as well as the established podcast apps out there. Below are a few requests from me. Feel free to pile on.

  1. Option to filter a podcast series so episodes I've listened to are no longer shown in the list
  2. Option to perform bulk actions, i.e. select 20 episodes and mark all as read from the list. I have some podcasts with hundreds of episodes, and going in and manually marking them read drove me nucking futs.
  3. Ability to auto-download x episodes of a podcast for offline listening (which would sync/refresh when I finish an episode)
  4. New episode notifications

Thanks for adding this feature, let's make it awesome.

Tagged:
«134

Comments

  • uncleungieuncleungie Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 30

    +1 for new episode notifications

    Edit: I would love to be able to view only un-listened episodes of a specific podcast.

    And a way to search the podcast database from within the iOS app.

    Thanks!

  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,642Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm compiling them and will be delivering them for review to the team.

    Search our Knowledge Base for more help

  • jcrabapplejcrabapple Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Where do we request podcasts to be added? I've tried adding by URL but it's just not the same and really buggy right now.

  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,642Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    @uncleungie said:
    And a way to search the podcast database from within the iOS app.

    That exists already! Once you new in the Podcasts area in the app, tap on the magnifying glass in the upper right and search for a show.

    Search our Knowledge Base for more help

  • AnijakeAnijake Posts: 217Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @dinamael said:
    Glad to see podcasts as an option in Plex. Now, let's make it work as well as the established podcast apps out there. Below are a few requests from me. Feel free to pile on.

    1. Option to filter a podcast series so episodes I've listened to are no longer shown in the list
    2. Option to perform bulk actions, i.e. select 20 episodes and mark all as read from the list. I have some podcasts with hundreds of episodes, and going in and manually marking them read drove me nucking futs.
    3. Ability to auto-download x episodes of a podcast for offline listening (which would sync/refresh when I finish an episode)
    4. New episode notifications

    Thanks for adding this feature, let's make it awesome.

    The best I could figure out for #2 is to use the mark all played "check" on the main podcast show screen, then go back and uncheck the episodes I have not played.

  • uncleungieuncleungie Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @kinoCharlino said:

    @uncleungie said:
    And a way to search the podcast database from within the iOS app.

    That exists already! Once you new in the Podcasts area in the app, tap on the magnifying glass in the upper right and search for a show.

    I had tried that, but I guess some of the podcasts I was looking for aren't in the database. Thanks!

  • codycbakercodycbaker Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    A note from one of my post comments elsewhere:

    "Need to have "Online Media Sources" set to "Enabled" via the Web interface. Will not work on my own account when set to "Disabled for Managed Users," (although "News" still works this way) which needs to be changed/fixed for those of us with users (i.e. children) that we want to protect from unrated content."

    I wear pants... sometimes.

  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,642Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    @uncleungie said:

    @kinoCharlino said:

    @uncleungie said:
    And a way to search the podcast database from within the iOS app.

    That exists already! Once you new in the Podcasts area in the app, tap on the magnifying glass in the upper right and search for a show.

    I had tried that, but I guess some of the podcasts I was looking for aren't in the database. Thanks!

    Ah, well that is a possibility. You can add them manually by URL. The option to do so is at the bottom of the main Podcasts page, called Add a Podcast by URL. Grab the RSS feeds and paste them in there one at a time. You can also do this from Plex Web by clicking on the + microphone button in the upper right corner when in Podcasts.

    Search our Knowledge Base for more help

  • davidiqdavidiq Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 30

    How about including the the ability to add a podcast by URL in the "My Podcasts" area through one of the dot-menus or just have the big button there as well? That is where I first looked for that option and couldn't find it anywhere. Stumbled upon it by accident while scrolling around on the main screen.

    Properly ordering episodes, or at least having the option to sort by certain feed properties/fields would be great too as they seem to be randomly ordered for me.

  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,642Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    @davidiq said:
    How about including the the ability to add a podcast by URL in the "My Podcasts" area through one of the dot-menus or just have the big button there as well? That is where I first looked for that option and couldn't find it anywhere. Stumbled upon it by accident while scrolling around on the main screen.

    Noted.

    Properly ordering episodes, or at least having the option to sort by certain feed properties/fields would be great too as they seem to be randomly ordered for me.

    Podcast episodes are sorted by air date, though I have added your suggestion to sort by other properties to our list. For the beta, we chose this method as we found it common among podcast producers to re-use episode numbers in their titles for re-runs, so it made sense to order by date.

    Search our Knowledge Base for more help

  • cameroncameron Posts: 126Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Whenever Video Podcasts are supported, I’d love the video player to be able to adjust playback speed.

    Outside of Podcasts, I have educational videos on my personal Plex server and would love to be able to watch those at a faster speed as well.

  • davidiqdavidiq Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @kinoCharlino said:
    Podcast episodes are sorted by air date, though I have added your suggestion to sort by other properties to our list. For the beta, we chose this method as we found it common among podcast producers to re-use episode numbers in their titles for re-runs, so it made sense to order by date.

    Yeah I figured that's what is being done. The problem with that is that this "podcast" is of a magazine and the air date is the same for all episodes. So, naturally, ordering by air date is not going to help (this particular feed has pubDate as a node). I would think that the app would just order them as they appear in the feed if it is unable to order by air date, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,642Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    @davidiq said:
    Yeah I figured that's what is being done. The problem with that is that this "podcast" is of a magazine and the air date is the same for all episodes. So, naturally, ordering by air date is not going to help (this particular feed has pubDate as a node). I would think that the app would just order them as they appear in the feed if it is unable to order by air date, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

    Thanks for the added context!

    Search our Knowledge Base for more help

  • DennywuhDennywuh Posts: 2Members

    Hi,

    I'm delighted with the addition of podcasts to Plex and I hope it's a success.

    I'm sad to say I've found a bug right out of the box: I've added seven feeds, gone to the player to see what it looks like with content and the "Add feed" icon has disappeared. I can't find it or any other way of adding more podcasts. [Edit: I've typed "https://app.plex.tv/desktop" into the address bar and it's reappeared. I can carry on adding, but it obviously needs looking into.]

    These are some features I value in my current podcast client and that I'd love to see added to Plex:
    - Ability to edit podcast artwork.
    - Ability to edit podcast title.
    - Ability to sort each podcast individually by:
    · Publication date (ascending and descending)
    · Episode title (ascending and descending)
    · File name (ascending and descending)
    · Episode duration (ascending and descending)
    - Ability to filter episodes by text or keywords.
    - Ability to specify whether episodes should be downloaded newest-first or oldest-first.
    - A "skip intro" function, by which one can set a number of seconds to be skipped forward at the beginning of each episode. Ideally individually configurable for each podcast.
    - Ability to mark episodes as listened-to by "older than this episode" and "newer than this episode".
    - Ability to select/deselect episodes from a list or grid with the standard Windows control+click and shift+click.
    - Ability to share an individual episode or the podcast feed via the usual methods.
    - Ability to "star" or otherwise mark favourite episodes.
    - Ability to clean up feeds by deleting "listened-to" or "older than" episodes, manually or on schedule.
    - Ability to save specific episodes so they aren't deleted.
    - Ability to list the following:
    · Episodes with playback in progress
    · All downloaded episodes
    · 10 most recent episodes

    Obviously this is a long list and a whole lot of work, but I think the app would benefit from these functions.

    Many thanks.

    Dennywuh
    [Windows 10 Home 1803 64-bit, Firefox 60.0.1 64-bit]

  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,642Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited May 30

    @codycbaker said:
    "Need to have "Online Media Sources" set to "Enabled" via the Web interface. Will not work on my own account when set to "Disabled for Managed Users," (although "News" still works this way) which needs to be changed/fixed for those of us with users (i.e. children) that we want to protect from unrated content."

    This should work the same way as News. I tried to reproduce this by setting Podcasts to Disabled for Managed Users and podcasts worked as expected. What kind of error are you getting? Are you using the Web, Android mobile, iOS, or Roku? If your children are using Plex on mobile, the change is not always instant. Try force quitting the mobile app and relaunching.

    Search our Knowledge Base for more help

  • deratoderato Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I know there are bigger fish to fry, as you tweak this feature in beta. But I would say audio enhancers would be a nice feature to have someday. Trimming silence, Voice Boost, Smart Speed. My main podcast client is Overcast, and I usually listen between 1.5-1.9x speed. I don't know what exactly that app is doing, and maybe my ear is just in tune to it, but I find it easier to listen/comprehend at those speeds than in Plex.

  • GuyGizmoGuyGizmo Posts: 96Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 30

    I've got a podcast I'm subscribed to that has a premium feed. Using this feed requires a basic auth login and password. So there's no good way for me to use it in Plex! Other podcast apps can optionally include a login and password for feeds that require it, so Plex should too.

    Also, when you add a podcast by URL, the title that appears for it in your podcast library is based on the RSS feed title, which might be named something not very friendly, like "MAP HQ 320 kbps" when really you want it to have the title "My Awesome Podcast" or something like that. So there should definitely be a way to customize a podcast's name.

  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,642Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited May 30

    @Dennywuh said:
    I'm sad to say I've found a bug right out of the box: I've added seven feeds, gone to the player to see what it looks like with content and the "Add feed" icon has disappeared. I can't find it or any other way of adding more podcasts. [Edit: I've typed "https://app.plex.tv/desktop" into the address bar and it's reappeared. I can carry on adding, but it obviously needs looking into.

    Which client app are you using?

    Thanks for your list of feedback. I'll pass it on to the team for review.

    Search our Knowledge Base for more help

  • Nilex1Nilex1 Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    My biggest request is a widget to allow playback control.

  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,642Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    @Dennywuh said:

    • Ability to specify whether episodes should be downloaded newest-first or oldest-first.

    A note on this one. Download / offline playback of podcasts is not yet in the beta. The team is actively working on it.

    Search our Knowledge Base for more help

«134
Sign In or Register to comment.