Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Comments on New Home Screen in 5.0

splermansplerman Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass
in iOS

Ugh. I'm not liking the new layout in 5.0:
1. It seems to have been built around Media Types rather than Libraries. Thus, if you have multiple Libraries for a single Media Type (i.e., Both Music and Audio Books as Music Libraries; or eLearning and Home Videos as Videos), it is now a multi-step process to get to the proper library.
2. You can't add "TV Shows With Recently Added Episodes" to the Home Screen.
3. The Home Screen shows Thumbnails instead of just an icon. So if you have a library (say....Adult Films), you can't add it to the Home Screen without potentially graphic images on the Home Screen.
4. This would have been better if they let you navigate to All XYZ (where XYZ represents a specific Library), create a desired view by adjusting Filter, Sort, View settings and then adding the current view to the Home Screen as an icon. With this, we could recreate the old Home Screen, if desired, and/or customize the Home Screen however desired. Instead, they've forced specific Views that Plex deems useful.

Anyone see any workarounds?

Answers

• hashikohashiko Members, Plex Pass Posts: 23 Plex Pass

Totally agree. This forced shift in paradigm from Libraries to Media Type is a huge mistake, particularly without a solution for keeping your content segregated by Library.

Whats even more interesting is that if select "reorder home screen" and delete an item by swiping left, there's no way to add it back. I wonder if Plex user tests anything at all before releasing?

• jfgilliamjfgilliam Members, Plex Pass Posts: 106 Plex Pass

I've also complained that the thumbnails can be a spoiler if it's from the last period of a sporting event and the score is visible.

Plex Pass User Since October 2017, BETA Channel
    Clients: Roku Preview, AppleTV, iOS, Androd, LG TV, XBOX ONE
    Hardware Transcoding, HDHomeRun Prime and Quatro. Only Prime enabled for the DVR.
    Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, 512GB SSD, 2TB HD, 16GB RAM
    CPU - AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core 4.00 Ghz
    GPU - AMD R9-7970 280X

• ASiDiEASiDiE Members, Plex Pass Posts: 100 Plex Pass

@hashiko said:
    Totally agree. This forced shift in paradigm from Libraries to Media Type is a huge mistake, particularly without a solution for keeping your content segregated by Library.

Whats even more interesting is that if select "reorder home screen" and delete an item by swiping left, there's no way to add it back. I wonder if Plex user tests anything at all before releasing?

For adding items back to the home screen you just need to go into the area you want to add and then click on the 3 dots on the right side, there should be an option to add this back to the home screen. Took me awhile to figure this one out.

• wally007wally007 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 854 Plex Pass

yea, thanks for listening feedback in PMP feedback thread where this forced Library type browsing was discussed.

You have ruined destop client (PHT->PMP) so now its time to ruin mobile clients with your design visions ?

• cpribbonsoncpribbonson Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 24 Plex Employee

Thank you for your feedback. The purpose of the new UI is, as you've mentioned, is to put content first. This is a departure from having libraries as the only means of distilling content. It is inherently designed to have users see content from a single type (such as movies, tv shows, etc) together, without hunting through libraries. Narrowing the view of any media type to a single category requires, for example on Android mobile or iOS, to select the media type (such such movies) and then tap on the library at the top. This will let you pick any library from that media type and allow you to re-order the list, making whichever library you set on top as the default. We're open to suggestions for improving how users interact with their media in a content centric way.

Additionally with this change, news and podcast would fit nicely with the rest of the media types instead of being classified as a library, which they are not. Aside from this change, what I understand is that there is a desire to separate the media types further. For example, music should not encompass both music and audio books, but the music media type should be for music and there should be a separate audio books media type. Is that correct?

Regarding the issue of removing and adding hubs, it is described in detail in this article (https://support.plex.tv/articles/customizing-the-apps/).

Although there is currently no way to customize the home screen to the extend described, we are always looking for ways to improve. I have noted down the idea of applying filters and adding it as a shortcut on the homescreen. I have also noted the improvement for thumbnail selection to avoid potential spoilers. (I myself would not want to know the final score of the Stanley Cup finals before watching the game.)

• manofcharactermanofcharacter Members, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass
    edited May 30

I had to comment as of this last update, 5.0.

The podcasts are great to finally have, but the new iOS interface is ABYSMAL. To think I was excited about the “customization” options that they described in the release notes. It turns out the “customization” simply means adding, removing, or reordering all of the useless, unnecessary content “rows” that Plex is so obsessed with, such as “recently added”, “recently aired”, “top movies with ——“. Really?? I SERIOUSLY have not a SINGLE one of the "content categories" that I would care to put into the "home" screen. Not a single one.

Then you have the individual library sections, such as movies, TV shows, etc., whichever libraries you’ve created on your server. The splash page for these individual libraries is a joke! There is no customization inside these library splash pages. You have a top “on deck” row, with posters, then a single line button for “all TV shows, etc,” followed by a single line button for Playlists, then more poster based content rows, like the above mentioned useless rows.

Looking at these screen is like being able to see a fart... All this cloudy, randomness billowing around with no room for my eyes to "breathe"! I can’t focus on one thing! If I only have 1 item “on deck”, then my On Deck row, which takes the top ONE THIRD of the screen becomes a useless waste of space with only a single poster (see image below). Then as I scroll down, I see repeated items listed in the various poster based category rows, since that item meets the criteria to be in each row. It’s a design nightmare!

Even the last version was better, where I could select my library with a large tile, then permanently select between 2 options at the bottom, “discover”, and “browse”. Discover would show the useless poster based category rows, while browse would let me see all my media alphabetically (or in any other sort order) and let me find the item myself, the MUCH preferred way for me. Frankly, I LIKE seeing all of my items and having to scroll through them. I have spent HOURS and HOURS carefully curating my ripped disc collection, customizing the poster choices and such. Seeing all of these beautiful, colorful posters is like looking at fruits of my labors. Every time my complete library list gets bigger because I add a new title, it only adds to my joy at seeing my hard work and growing collection.

The "content category" rows trying imitate Netflix and other streaming sites is utterly USELESS in this regard, particularly because my collection is small enough that I know what everything is. Seriously, I don't need to see a row called "Recently Aired TV", where said row displays several episodes of SAME TV Series, simply because all of these listed episodes happen to best fit the criteria of that row's algorithm. See below:

Seriously! This screen does NOTHING for me! All I get from it is a weirdly placed button for "All Shows" that floats in the middle of the screen. It's horrendously out of place. I refuse to believe that anyone would call this screen attractive. But wait, am I to blame? Do I just need to "get more media", or "watch more shows at once", so that my "On Deck" row has more posters? No, that's not the answer here...

That's my opinion at least. I feel that I should have the ability to disable these content categories completely! Please, just make the default interface have the "content categories", but give me the option to completely disable them, so that clicking "movies" takes me RIGHT to MY full library. A little selector in the top for "movies" in other servers, like friend's servers, is fine.

The process to get to my desired screen is now much uglier and bloated. I really didn’t think you could have stepped backwards from the last interface. The solution is easy, copy the Plex Media Player app for the PC!! This interface is the epitome of balance between the two approaches to library viewing and I LOVE it. The last iOS interface was actually closer to PMP. This recent update is a step away, and it’s hideous.

• ArdenusArdenus Members, Plex Pass Posts: 44 Plex Pass
    edited May 31

What have you done plex?

It feels like you have thrown a hand Granade at my carefully crafted library system scattering it’s components far and wide across the app.

Where is the library side bar?

Home screen customisation is a great feature (not sure why you took it away when you did). But not at the exspense of the library side bar. Now my content is all over the place and hard to find.

Can’t we have the best of both worlds with the option to browse a coherent library system (the old side bar) and have home screen customisation?

• Philly30Philly30 Members Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited May 30

All this update does is make more steps to get to the content i want, the content which was on my home screen when i opened the app but is not there now and cant be added

• ArdenusArdenus Members, Plex Pass Posts: 44 Plex Pass

@splerman said:
    Ugh. I'm not liking the new layout in 5.0:
    1. It seems to have been built around Media Types rather than Libraries. Thus, if you have multiple Libraries for a single Media Type (i.e., Both Music and Audio Books as Music Libraries; or eLearning and Home Videos as Videos), it is now a multi-step process to get to the proper library.

bring back the side bar!

@manofcharacter said:
    I had to comment as of this last update, 5.0.

Even the last version was better, where I could select my library with a large tile, then permanently select between 2 options at the bottom, “discover”, and “browse”. Discover would show the useless poster based category rows, while browse would let me see all my media alphabetically (or in any other sort order) and let me find the item myself, the MUCH preferred way for me. Frankly, I LIKE seeing all of my items and having to scroll through them. I have spent HOURS and HOURS carefully curating my ripped disc collection, customizing the poster choices and such. Seeing all of these beautiful, colorful posters is like looking at fruits of my labors. Every time my complete library list gets bigger because I add a new title, it only adds to my joy at seeing my hard work and growing collection.

The process to get to my desired screen is now much uglier and bloated. I really didn’t think you could have stepped backwards from the last interface. The solution is easy, copy the Plex Media Player app for the PC!! This interface is the epitome of balance between the two approaches to library viewing and I LOVE it. The last iOS interface was actually closer to PMP. This recent update is a step away, and it’s hideous.

Hit the nail on the head with these points (from my point of view)

• wally007wally007 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 854 Plex Pass

@cpribbonson said:
    Thank you for your feedback. The purpose of the new UI is, as you've mentioned, is to put content first. This is a departure from having libraries as the only means of distilling content. It is inherently designed to have users see content from a single type (such as movies, tv shows, etc) together, without hunting through libraries. Narrowing the view of any media type to a single category requires, for example on Android mobile or iOS, to select the media type (such such movies) and then tap on the library at the top. This will let you pick any library from that media type and allow you to re-order the list, making whichever library you set on top as the default. We're open to suggestions for improving how users interact with their media in a content centric way.

>

if you are as opened to feedback as PMP developers, the app is doomed.

If you really care about putting my content first, then dont shove your netflix-rip discovery lists down my throat and give me my library sections .

Do you really actually use Plex besides creating marketing screenshots ? These categories make no sense for people that create and segregate their library sections an/ord use custom scanners.

• cpribbonsoncpribbonson Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 24 Plex Employee

@manofcharacter You bring an interesting use case to the table. There are definitely other users that would prefer the "browse" view over the "discover" view and having the ability to do so will greatly enhance the experience for both types of users. You brought up some good points that we will surely consider in how to improve the content-centric approach so that it feels natural and usable by most. This has been captured for the team to review, alongside the customization suggestions you've provided.

• nookumnookum Members Posts: 78 ✭✭

Please allow Playlists to be added to the Home screen. I used to be able to quickly click on my Loved music playlist and shuffle it. Now I have to navigate to the music tab, select the proper library, then tap Playlists. I'm all for customization, but it's kind of limited when you can only add Recently Played or Recently Added lists. The iOS Plex app on my iPhone is now my preferred music player; the new update is one step forward, two steps back.

p.s. the podcast addition is promising...

edited May 30

@nookum Thanks! That's also been noted down for review by the team!

• wheatismwheatism Members, Plex Pass Posts: 96 Plex Pass
    edited May 30

How did this get released, streamlined..jeez. Lost my custom libraries, unintuitive, added more clicks to do the same tasks...

Because Plex isn't smart enough to work with music videos for example I had to make a separate "movies" library. With this switch to bundle by media not libraries my whole Plex setup is a complete mess...

It really feels like this was change for change sake and so well thought through...shame, again. Now I'm forced to look for new workarounds to somehow rebuild my previously lovely GUI. More work than it might be worth...

• Thierry-BThierry-B Members, Plex Pass Posts: 26 Plex Pass

There is a reason why I have multiple libraries.
    I don't want a single "movies" !

Some libraries are inappropriate for children and when on the main account it is now way too easy to show the wrong one.
    Furthermore, categories that are not shown on the first list at the bottom are now harder to access.
    So for me it takes much longer to access my music or my home made videos for example.
    Organising on single categories is limited.
    I would prefer to be able to move down the recently aired below the all shows...

And having all libraries mixed by type I realised something... You can access synced content with all accounts whatever the shared library status the content came from ?
    Is this new ? Or have I missed it before ?
    Whatever, this is a major issue :
    I sync walking dead on my iPad and I sure don't want my 9 year old in front of it !

• splermansplerman Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

@cpribbonson said:
    Thank you for your feedback. The purpose of the new UI is, as you've mentioned, is to put content first.

I disagree. The new app puts what Plex believes is important first, not necessarily what your customers believe is important. The big mistake with 5.0 is that Plex assumed how its users were using the app. Plex WAS powerful and useful because it was flexible. Now it's not. Your users use Plex in a myriad of ways. It seems that Plex looked at a service like Netflix (a service limited in its usecase to "Movies served by the service provider") and applied a near identical UI to what was a multifunctional application.

This is a departure from having libraries as the only means of distilling content. It is inherently designed to have users see content from a single type (such as movies, tv shows, etc) together, without hunting through libraries.

This was a huge mistake. We create libraries to suit OUR needs. For example, while I was studying for a licensing exam, I created a library containing all the video education that I required for the exam and titled the library "CFP". When the exam was over, I deleted the "CFP" library. Under the new structure, all those videos would be mixed in with miscellaneous other elearning topics, home videos, music videos, etc.

Narrowing the view of any media type to a single category requires, for example on Android mobile or iOS, to select the media type (such such movies) and then tap on the library at the top. This will let you pick any library from that media type and allow you to re-order the list, making whichever library you set on top as the default. We're open to suggestions for improving how users interact with their media in a content centric way.

So, what used to take one-click on an icon on the main screen becomes: 1) Click More, 2) Click Other Videos, 3) Select the proper Library from the drop-down menu; 4) Click All Other Videos. Changing the user requirements from 1-click to 4-clicks is a huge step backwards.

Additionally with this change, news and podcast would fit nicely with the rest of the media types instead of being classified as a library, which they are not. Aside from this change, what I understand is that there is a desire to separate the media types further. For example, music should not encompass both music and audio books, but the music media type should be for music and there should be a separate audio books media type. Is that correct?

NO! Again, Plex can't assume anything about how users use the application. Libraries give us flexibility to use the app any way we see fit. Using Media Types, some users might want: Fiction Audiobooks, Non-Fiction Audiobooks, Finance Audiobooks, Mystery Audiobooks etc. Others might want: Action Movies, Thriller Movies, Comedy Movies, etc. You can't make a Media Type for everything.

Likewise, with 5.0, Plex made certain assumptions (very Netflix-like) about how we might want to view/sort our content. The vast majority of them are utterly useless to how I use Plex. Instead, let me create a preset based upon: i) Library; ii) Artist/Album/Track; TV Shows/Seasons/Episodes/Collections; Movies/Collections; iii) Grid, List or Folder view; iv) Filter; v) Sort Order and then add this Preset to my Home Screen. This gives me the flexibility to do as I like.

• floatinjoefloatinjoe Members, Plex Pass Posts: 115 Plex Pass

Thank you Plex for making life more difficult. Not only is this UI harder to use (way to many clicks, and not intuitive at all), but now I have to teach all of my users how to use it. I'm especially looking forward to trying to navigate my 6-year-old through all the clicks to get to the several libraries he has access to. And unfortunately, he has several libraries of movies, several of "tv shows", and even a few of videos... at this time he only has one music library.

We organize our media to fit our needs. He doesn't need access to all of my media, he just needs access to the media we've deemed appropriate for him. Why does he have multiple libraries of each type? He does because that is the best way for us to have his media organized. He's been using Plex for years now (the old Samsung client, Roku client, and iOS clients back to whatever it is that is still running on the iPad 1). Navigation has always been intuitive. Now, it is convoluted.

@manofcharacter I can't agree with you more about the "Recently Aired TV" and "Recently Released" movies. I've been annoyed with that on the Roku client since it was introduced. My primary TV Show library's "Recently Aired TV" is all more than SEVEN YEARS OLD! Guess I haven't purchased a "New" series on DVD for quite some time.

I know people have been saying it for years, but I'll say it again. I don't want Plex to recommend items for me from my libraries. I bought the content, and I know what's there. If I forgot about something, hopefully I'll get a reminder in the form of a trailer in front of one of my movies.

• floatinjoefloatinjoe Members, Plex Pass Posts: 115 Plex Pass

@cpribbonson Out of curiosity, when these new interfaces are tested, how big is the spectrum of the test audience? Do you test these interfaces with kids and older people? I'm really curious about the kids part. There has to be a good number of Plex users that have children who are managed users and probably have specific libraries setup for them. I know my son's videos are in their own library for control purposes, and to keep them out of the libraries I use.

I'm hoping that you are putting Plex into the hands of test users in the 5 & under age bracket. If not, you need to consider this. Plex has always been about the users' media and how we want to organize it. It is becoming more difficult to organize it at all.

• nantoine555nantoine555 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

I'm sorry to add my voice to those comments on the new interface.
    Now my music is hard to get, and my child has to browse her parents movies to get to her disneys. Nice.

Do you testers have 5 y.o. children? They know how to recognise their names, so I've created libraries for her, now it's an awfly mess.

Give us back the option to display libraries

• kivplexkivplex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass

Not pleased at all with the “new” (although now it looks like everybody else’s) look.

Please bring back the option to have the classic Plex home screen.

This was a really bad move.