Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Code d'erreur : h4 (Codec)

Christophe.BisChristophe.Bis Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,

I have added successfully this podcast
http://www.rtl.fr/podcast/les-grosses-tetes.xml

But I get the error message : Code d'erreur : h4 (Codec) when I try to listen.

Works perfectly on other apps.

How to fix that ?

Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,642Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    I tried to reproduce this issue in Safari and Chrome, as well as on iOS. Playback was successful numerous times on Safari and Chrome. iOS playback worked as expected, as well. Which platform are you using? If on web, please make sure you are using the hosted version of Plex Web and try forcing a refresh on your browser. If you're using Android mobile or iOS, please try force quitting the app, relaunching, and trying again.

    Search our Knowledge Base for more help

  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,642Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    Looking into this more, this is a browser error you are receiving. What browser, browser version, and OS version are you using?

    Search our Knowledge Base for more help

  • Christophe.BisChristophe.Bis Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Hi

    I use chrome Version 67.0.3396.62 (Build officiel) (64 bits)
    With windows 10, 1709 / 16299.431

    Thanks

  • 1ne2woBe1ne2woBe Posts: 36Members ✭✭

    @kinoCharlino said:
    Are you using an adblocker plugin in Chrome? We tested it internally and got the error in Chrome only when an adblocker was enabled. You can try to either disable the adblocker or whitelist app.plex.tv in the adblocker.

    Thank you for your reply. I'll answer your question since everyone else is too busy. It was indeed adblocker in Chrome for me. I disabled the app for Plex, and my specific podcast that was giving the error is now playing just fine.

    Thanks again.

  • alexhawkeralexhawker Posts: 45Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I'm getting this error 95 minutes into a 3 hour podcast (so it was working fine earlier). Same error on iOS and in Chrome (no adblocker).

    Help!

  • Christophe.BisChristophe.Bis Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @kinoCharlino said:
    Are you using an adblocker plugin in Chrome? We tested it internally and got the error in Chrome only when an adblocker was enabled. You can try to either disable the adblocker or whitelist app.plex.tv in the adblocker.

    It was Ghostery. Once disabled podcast works fine.

    Thanks !!!!

  • alexhawkeralexhawker Posts: 45Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    And in my case they pulled the podcast and re-posted it. +1 for downloading to my server or phone directly, and plus five to faster updates via rss...

  • DrewWhiteheadDrewWhitehead Posts: 1Members

    Same error, three browsers. Opera, without any adblocker, Chrome with AdBlock turned off, and bog stock Micro Edge.

  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,642Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    @DrewWhitehead said:
    Same error, three browsers. Opera, without any adblocker, Chrome with AdBlock turned off, and bog stock Micro Edge.

    Thanks for reporting this. Do you still experience this after cleaning out your browser cache?

    Search our Knowledge Base for more help

  • laurencemillward@gmail.comlaurencemillward@gmail.com Posts: 13Members ✭✭

    I'm also getting this same error - I have adblock but disabled it completely and tried incognito too.

    For example, search BBC Radio 1 - Essential Mix, try and play a recent episode and get "Error code: h4 (Codec)". The issue isn't browser cache as it happens on multiple browsers (some of which I have never used for Plex)

    An error occurred trying to play "2018-06-02 - George Fitzgerald - Essential Mix".
    Error code: h4 (Codec)

  • laurencemillward@gmail.comlaurencemillward@gmail.com Posts: 13Members ✭✭

    Done some more digging:
    1/ [Player] A critical HTML media error occurred: 4 (Codec); the player cannot recover
    2/ NotSupportedError: Failed to load because no supported source was found.

    The 2 above errors are thrown when trying to play from BBC. It looks like the Plex podcasts for BBC are trying to reach a Dropbox account which has reached the bandwidth limits: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/5zsidtcvgxj194p/2018-06-02 - George Fitzgerald - Essential Mix.mp3

    Browsing podcasts available on the BBC website doesn't use Dropbox, they use Akami so is Dropbox being used a Plex thing?

    Other podcasts i've checked seem to be okay
    cc @kinoCharlino

  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,642Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    @laurencemillward@gmail.com said:
    Done some more digging:
    1/ [Player] A critical HTML media error occurred: 4 (Codec); the player cannot recover
    2/ NotSupportedError: Failed to load because no supported source was found.

    The 2 above errors are thrown when trying to play from BBC. It looks like the Plex podcasts for BBC are trying to reach a Dropbox account which has reached the bandwidth limits: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/5zsidtcvgxj194p/2018-06-02 - George Fitzgerald - Essential Mix.mp3

    Browsing podcasts available on the BBC website doesn't use Dropbox, they use Akami so is Dropbox being used a Plex thing?

    Other podcasts i've checked seem to be okay
    cc @kinoCharlino

    Thanks for digging into it! Engineering is looking into it. We aren't using Dropbox to host Podcasts, so there is something going on with how the RSS feed resolves and are investigating.

    Search our Knowledge Base for more help

  • LogicallyRogueLogicallyRogue Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 14

    I too am getting this error. However, for me it only happens on NPR podcasts (Ask me another, NPR News Now, Planet Money, Wait Wain). When I try Gimlet Media podcasts (StartUp, Reply All) or This American Life - all is well.

    I do have Ghostery installed on Windows 10/Chrome Version 67.0.3396.87 (Official Build) (64-bit). However I have "paused" it for the moment. Same "An error occurred trying to play "#847: Inventing Accidents". Error code: h4 (Codec)" when playing NPR podcasts.

    EDIT: Nevermind. I have a blacklist on my router and apparently "tritondigital.com" was caught up and NPR uses them.

  • melrhombusmelrhombus Posts: 218Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    This comes up as one of the first hits when you search for the error so thought I'd mention that Pi-Hole will also block a lot of podcast content so you'll need to white list some things to get this all working

  • Mr.Plex77Mr.Plex77 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @melrhombus said:
    This comes up as one of the first hits when you search for the error so thought I'd mention that Pi-Hole will also block a lot of podcast content so you'll need to white list some things to get this all working

    Agree there. Had to whitelist a domain: $ pihole -w dts.podtrac.com

Sign In or Register to comment.