Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Would love to try out the new podcast feature but cant update Plex app on android

therynotheryno Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've tried everything. Deleted the app twice and reinstalled, tried updating to the latest version of android (not that that would help), even restarted my phone a million times thinking it was just a glitch. I have my plex server on latest beta versions and phone on latest Oreo version but no matter what I do it stays on version 6.17.1.5294. My ipad updated just fine and the web client is showing the new version as well.

Anyone else having this problem on a Pixel One?

Answers

• Christophe.BisChristophe.Bis Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi
    Same thing here, nothing yet on my android app.
    Maybe because it's in french..

• kayakertimkayakertim Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same thing here
    Very frustrating!

• cpribbonsoncpribbonson Posts: 24Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@theryno @Christophe.Bis @kayakertim As the release was a staged roll-out, you might not have gotten the update right away. As far as I know, if you are on the Android device, you should all see the update today and will be able to start listening to Podcasts via Plex. If that isn't the case for you, please let me know! Thank you!

• SylliusSyllius Posts: 34Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Informed by your latest post, I eagerly woke up this morning to see the newly redesigned interface, complete with a whole new selection of podcasts. No updates available. Uninstall. Free up space. Download Plex for Android. Again. Install. Again. Failure. Again...

I'm letting you know.

As of 3:45am EST, on 2018-06-02 Plex for Android is downloading v6.17.1.5294

• therynotheryno Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It’s finally working for me. Updated automatically last night while I was sleeping. Woke up and bam! Everything working as expected with the new update. I like it so far, although I do wish the new Podcast feature would let you resume an episode where I last left off. It just starts over.

Still no update.

Does the Plex update happen automatically? Getting frustrated uninstalling and reinstalling every day to find out it's the same version.

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,642Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@Syllius said:
    Does the Plex update happen automatically? Getting frustrated uninstalling and reinstalling every day to find out it's the same version.

The staged rollout is complete for everyone now. Are you still not seeing Podcasts?

Search our Knowledge Base for more help

I just reinstalled it again I had the same results. I'm downloading via the Google Play store regular Plex link. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Please let me know as I'm very excited to see the new custom interface options. Thanks in advance.

• jkimreyjkimrey Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Syllius said:
    I just reinstalled it again I had the same results. I'm downloading via the Google Play store regular Plex link. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Please let me know as I'm very excited to see the new custom interface options. Thanks in advance.

Same here - podcast option isn't available in the android app - does show on the web ui.

Still nothing.

Still no update.

• robinzsonrobinzson Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same with me. I DO get the podcasts on my desktop and phone apps, but NOT on my tablet version (Android).

And, like many others, I've been uninstalling and reinstalling the Plex app, hoping the updated version (7.0) would show up, but I'm still getting version 6.17.1.5294 from the Google Playstore.

Can anybody from Plex please HELP???

Nothing yeet.

Nothing today, either. It would be nice to receive some sort of response at least acknowledging that there's an issue. I think you'll find that there a lot of loyal customers who want very much to promote and support the growth of Plex, but honestly, it's going on 9 days since the roll out and you have at least three paying lifetime users reporting an issue. Please, communicate with us so we don't lose faith in your product and service. Thank you in advance.

• robinzsonrobinzson Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I messaged Plex employee Cpribbonson and she replied back with the following, after I described my devices:

"The new versions requires that the devices run on a minimum of lollipop (5.1.1). After a quick google search, that version is not available for the Galaxy Tab 4, and only available on the G-Pad for select countries. Bottom line is, unfortunately, the devices are too old to support the new app with the podcast feature. I am very sorry for that."

So, the problem might be that your Android devices' software might need to be updated, in order for Plex's latest update to work. At least, that was the case for me.