Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

I keep getting a crashing problem after your most recent update. I have many questions.

bradrweaverbradrweaver Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

After your most recent update to plex on Android Shield, my server has been crashing. I re-installed the firmware for the Shield, and got a fresh hard drive formatted and loaded up with content. When I tried to transfer the libraries over they did okay. But then started to start causing the shield to restart. Then the plex app would re-download and then crash in a loop for a day. It just crashed again on me. If you could help me that would be great. Love Your Product

Answers

• Haymose420Haymose420 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass

I had the same issues. Moved library to adapted storage and was experiencing frequent crashes on the shield. I then tried removable storage and the same issues occurred. After several factory resets and rebuilding my plex library over and over I decided to keep the library on internal storage, zero crashes since.

The new update seemed to good to be true and it currently has proven to be exactly that. At least in my own personal experience.

• Trial_MasterTrial_Master Members, Plex Pass Posts: 113 Plex Pass

Are you talking about latest Plex Server version or Shield OS?

• ADvorskyADvorsky Members, Plex Pass Posts: 140 Plex Pass

its a issue in plex and android 7 file system handling.
    either upgrade to android 8 (which is halted atm due to an internal issue of nvidia) or wait approx. 1 year until the plex team fixes the issue.

• jjkc29jjkc29 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 87 Plex Pass

Being driven mad by exactly the same situation - have now factory reset my shield several times - it seems like it gets to a certain size of library and then just fails - so being able to use external storage for the database seems like a non-starter. Going to go back to internal storage so I at least have a working plex until android 8 comes out (then do another factory reset so i can install the update since my 16gb shield's internal storage will be completely full).

Grrrr

rant over - just hope there's a solution soon!

• stuartf1stuartf1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 116 Plex Pass

Have you tried different external storage? I'm sure I read someone with a similar issue solved it this way as their storage was broken/corrupt.

edited June 4

@stuartf1 said:
    Have you tried different external storage? I'm sure I read someone with a similar issue solved it this way as their storage was broken/corrupt.

Thanks for the thought, that had been my first thought too (read something similar somewhere) - tried brand new sd cards , hard drives and unfortunately the same result consistently. Not really sure why - very frustrating.

Another quick update - another factory reset (using internal storage again) and while scanning the library I'm noticing that the Shield restarts every 10mins. Not sure whether this has happened in the past when first scanning the library but thought I'd put it out there.

• Trial_MasterTrial_Master Members, Plex Pass Posts: 113 Plex Pass

I’m trying latest Plex Server beta to see if that is better than public release.

• umairtariqumairtariq Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

Is there any update to this issue? Otherwise Nvidia Shield is no good other than any other media box.