Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Bring Back Libraries - remove Types

TheeGoochTheeGooch Members, Plex Pass Posts: 68 Plex Pass
in iOS

The interface is really confusing . i separate all of my content my Library , and I only make Libraries for content that I have , so I don’t have to see options for content I don’t have.

The new interface forces music ( i don’t use it ), podcasts( i don’t use it ) and photos ( I don’t use it ) onto the screen which just gets in the way of what I do use. Don’t get me started on News. There are only 500 of those already and I really needed on more to choose from . Hey , let’s add it to you personal media server !

Please go back to the old interface that only displayed what I needed and also organized media by library, not by category.

The deeds today, echo in eternity. - Maximus

Comments

• doormandoormandoormandoorman Members Posts: 457 ✭✭

WELL PUT! Please bring back the sliding menu from left of screen which displays all of our libraries.
    Even when you get rid of the podcast panel on home page the damn thing reappears upon next launch.

• tramp78tramp78 Members Posts: 85 ✭✭

I can't ever FIND my libraries and when I try to "Add Movies" it sends me to a tutorial on how to add them to my server. They already EXIST on the server in about 8 libraries, none of which I can see anymore.

• tom80Htom80H Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,273 Plex Pass

It's not all that hard...

Managing Media Type Selection
    1. click the "..." (more) button in the media type navigation
    2. click "Edit" and uncheck the media types you want Plex to ignore

Selecting a Library
    1. select the media type you're looking for (bottom navigation)
    2. click the dropdown in the top-left corner to change the selected library from your or any shared server

https://support.plex.tv/articles/navigating-the-apps/

• DirtyBanksDirtyBanks Members, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass
    edited June 5

@tom80H said:
    It's not all that hard...

Selecting a Library
    2. click the dropdown in the top-left corner to change the selected library from your or any shared server

https://support.plex.tv/articles/navigating-the-apps/

Much easier to roll back to a previous version where the GUI actually works properly on hardware where this is an option. This update is absolute trash. Whoever thought this was acceptable should be fired.

• ks2va2ks2va2 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass
    edited June 6

I absolutely agree that this has been a big step backwards. Every Plex user in the family has complained about this new direction. At the very least we need a classic view.

• pdxubarupdxubaru Members, Plex Pass Posts: 191 Plex Pass
    edited June 6

Any time I have to stop and try to think about where (in context with the new UI) something should be, there is a problem with the UX.

ETA: it isn't really that bad once you get used to it.

• AuroraMediaAuroraMedia Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass

It's not that it's bad, everything's there it's just harder to find than it was before and can't be called an update.

I get the idea behind it, if you and all your friends had a server each and you all shared then seeing recently added might be good as you wouldn't know what other people had added to their server and seeing programs that had recently aired would be good too as you'd just watch the latest episode of whatever show has just aired but that's not how a lot of us use it.

I have 1 6TB server with multiple libraries, kids films, kids TV, adult films and adult tv, documentaries and stand up comedy as well as educational videos, half of which are stored as TV shows and the other half are films, I don't use music, podcasts, news or any of the other stuff so I've removed all that.

On the current version my home screen is blank and I have Shows and Movies in the bottom menu, I have to click on one of those and then select the appropriate library from the top and then choose all movies or all shows. It's awkward. If I could just add my libraries to the home screen then that would solve the issue as I could go straight to what I want from there.

• neoncarrotukneoncarrotuk Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass
    edited June 6

While I don’t find the new version hard or confusing, I do find it irritating. It now takes many more clicks to get to the view I want of a given library, and even more to go from that library to another.

Telling me what films and tv I have without reference to my carefully thought through libraries is a fix for a problem I didn’t have - there is now less useful information on any one screen than there was before, and no quick way to navigate to a view I do want.

I have an iPad full of now long unused apps that followed the same path; they did something I wanted in a way I found useful, then made wholesale changes that made it more effort to achieve less.

@AuroraMedia said:
    If I could just add my libraries to the home screen then that would solve the issue as I could go straight to what I want from there.

Bingo!

• DirtyBanksDirtyBanks Members, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass

Libraries on home screen would be acceptable. The current UI is not.

• loop75loop75 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 26 Plex Pass

Yes, give us the ability to add our libraries to the Home screen. Please!

• moondawnmoondawn Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

This update is wretched

• artbatistaartbatista Members, Plex Pass Posts: 45 Plex Pass

This is horrible.

Even once you learn to navigate the new interface, it takes many more clicks to get anywhere. I have multiple tv libraries (active, ended, documentaries, etc), and as far as I can tell, there is no way to add links to all my libraries to the home screen. The shows screen only sees one library at a time.

I can add “recently added” and some such filtered lists to my home screen, but now to navigate to a new library I have to go to shows, use the drop down to select the library and then select “all shows”, EVERY TIME I switch to a diff library.

Look guys, I just want to access my content and not have to think like I am designing the next SpaceX rocket to watch tv. Is that too much to ask?

The previous interface was just fine. I would prefer you all concentrate in bug squashing and maybe adding the MOST DESIRED feature ever, a guide grid view. But no, you have to, no doubt, waste who knows how many man (and woman) hours on this , this, this..., I can’t even come up with family friendly description to describe this horror.

I agree with the comment above, please fire whomever birthed this crime against humanity.

Art

P.S.

Just so you know, I waited a few days after meeting this tentacled monster before I wrote this post. My mother (may she Rest In Peace) always said not to speak immediately when something happened that me made me angry.

3 days and I am still angry. I hate this thing with the fire of 1000 suns.

via Email
    Yes please at least give the option to have a classic view. It takes way
    too long to navigate through a server with multiple libraries. If you are
    under the impression that people just need to get accustomed to the changes
    you are WRONG. This interface isn't something that people could get used to
    either.

On Jun 8, 2018 1:23 AM, "artbatista"
    wrote:

Plex Forums https://forums.plex.tv/
    artbatista commented on Bring Back Libraries - remove Types

This is horrible.

Even once you learn to navigate the new interface, it takes many more
    clicks to get anywhere. I have multiple tv libraries (active, ended,
    documentaries, etc), and as far as I can tell, there is no way to add links
    to all my libraries to the home screen. The shows screen only sees one
    library at a time.

I can add “recently added” and some such filtered lists to my home screen,
    but now to navigate to a new library I have to go to shows, use the drop
    down to select the library and then select “all shows”, EVERY TIME I switch
    to a diff library.

Look guys, I just want to access my content and not have to think like I
    am designing the next SpaceX rocket to watch tv. Is that too much to ask?

The previous interface was just fine. I would prefer you all concentrate
    in bug squashing and maybe adding the MOST DESIRED feature ever, a guide
    grid view. But no, you have to, no doubt, waste who knows how many man (and
    woman) hours on this , this, this..., I can’t even come up with family
    friendly description to describe this horror.

I agree with the comment above, please fire whomever birthed this crime
    against humanity.

Art

P.S.

Just so you know, I waited a few days after meeting this tentacled monster
    before I wrote this post. My mother (may she Rest In Peace) always said not
    to speak immediately when something happened that me made me angry.

3 days and I am still angry. I hate this thing with the fire of 1000 suns.
    via Email
    Replying to tom8 : It's not all that hard...

Selecting a Library

2. click the dropdown in the top-left corner to change the selected library
    from your or any shared server

Compare all those steps to just swipping from the left and selecting what
    library you would like. Classic was better.

@doormandoorman said:
    Replying to tom8 : It's not all that hard...
    Compare all those steps to just swipping from the left and selecting what library you would like. Classic was better.

Here I respectfully disagree.
    I accept you do like the old one better
    Same for people impacted by the bugs going along the new versions (partially fixed with the recent updates).

I’ve been switching a lot between browse/discover views, so there’s always been a back and forth to get to where I wanted to go.
    1. Switch to the right mode (e.g. browse)
    2. Find the library and click
    3. Pick that libraries‘ discover mode

1 step if I’ve already been in the right mode and wanted to stay there, 3 steps otherwise. My dad didn’t use the old version as he got constantly lost between browse/discovery and remembering where exactly he was. He’s using the new one without problems so far.

Don’t get me wrong... I’m not arguing this change was managed perfectly and I’m neither saying it’s all great, just because it matches my use case better than the old one. Just trying to get some perspective.
    I do like the idea to have an option to add libraries to the home page

I'm glad you were able to adapt to these changes, but I feel these charges don't help those with many libraries. Would be cool if there was a option to switch between the classic and new versions.

By the way Do you know how to permanently get rid of the podcast portion at the bottom of the home screen? every time I do get rid of it using the drop down menu it reappears upon next launch

Thanks Tom

@doormandoorman said:
    By the way Do you know how to permanently get rid of the podcast portion at the bottom of the home screen? every time I do get rid of it using the drop down menu it reappears upon next launch

I've been using this support article...
    https://support.plex.tv/articles/customizing-the-apps/

when I edited the types and removed podcasts, they stayed off for me.

(interestingly podcasts don't show up in this screenshot... I'm pretty sure that's where I disabled them)

• stevenhastevenha Members, Plex Pass Posts: 189 Plex Pass

Indeed those options don't help as it only allows the customisation of the types and not libraries which is what people have invested a lot of time and effort setting up on their plex servers.

@stevenha said:
    Indeed those options don't help as it only allows the customisation of the types and not libraries...

more or less the same is available to customize the libraries in each media type.

... which is what people have invested a lot of time and effort setting up on their plex servers.

let's not argue with the millions and billions of people who feel exactly as you do.
    there's a lot of people who aren't happy about the recent update... you in particular have invested a lot of time in setting up your server the way you did so it worked nicely across your environment and now there's hiccups. I get that and I can sympathize with you.
    it's how the internet works... it makes these 1st world problems feel so much worse because it's so much easier to connect to others who feel the same. And again... I understand this makes everybody feel it's so much worse.
    however, another aspect of this truth is that this resonating only reflects the part of people who feel the same about this as those who like it or don't have particularly strong feelings about it don't speak about it at all (consider myself an exception ;)).

this was a major re-design... there's going to be more updates to fix issues and further mature the new UI. There's already a number of constructive proposals and feature requests where people put aside their world-shattering despair and start looking forward again.

tl;dr
    apologies... after reading 100+ tear-soaked posts, something in me felt compelled to join the mood -- just from a different angle ;)

• stevenhastevenha Members, Plex Pass Posts: 189 Plex Pass
    edited June 10

@tom80H said:

@stevenha said:
    Indeed those options don't help as it only allows the customisation of the types and not libraries...

more or less the same is available to customize the libraries in each media type.

Unless I missing something the customisation options don't achieve the desired thing.

So just to clarify in case we're talking cross purposes, I want to have the ability to have a the option to browse a particular library from the home screen.

I've found the ability to put a media type on the home screen, but that doesn't store the source.

In v4 for example I had Photos Wedding and Photos Honeymoon which are separate libraries on the home screen and at a single click I could browse those libraries. The closest I've managed so far in v5 is Resent Photos on the home page which is not what I, and many others, want.

Because this doesn't work to achieve what was a single click in v5 is now 5 clicks in v5.

I appreciated this is a major redesign and that it may take some time to settle, but whats got everyone so wound up is that the design hasn't maintained one of the most important features of how the full Plex solution works, and that's the ability to customise the categorisation of media based on whats on the server.

Instead it's taken a route which makes it just another client design to talk to a single source of media, and in doing so it displays it in a way the developers assumed it's users wanted i.e. an easy way to discover content from pre-defined media types, that assumption was wrong.

Sure if you have a bog standard setup on the server side, one library for each media type then v5 is only twice as slow to get to your content, which while still not as good it's not the 5 times slower users which have got multiple libraries of the same type is before every user which connects customises their home page.

This also doesn't take into account account multiple servers i.e. when connected to server X I want to access Y and on Z I want to access C. Server owners have categorised content to make it easy to get to what you want this update prevents that from working.