Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Audio transcodes on £80 Streaming stick + but direct plays on £30 Raspberry Pi?

rivageezarivageeza Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3

This has been bugging for for awhile... I bought the Roku Streaming Stick + so I could do more than just use plex which I used on the Raspberry Pi (running rasplex)

Unfortunately I don't have surround sound so both just hook up to my TV (stereo) via HDMI.

My movies are encoded with either DTS or DTS-HD audio, and with the more expensive all singing all dancing Roku, it trancodes the audio to AAC, presumably 2 channel stereo audio.

Where as the cheap and chearful Raspberry Pi direct plays the audio. Both sound the same to me coming out the TV, I just wondered what the Pi is doing to achieve this that the Roku can't?

I have all the boxes ticked to allow direct play etc, and if I force it there's no audio on the Roku.

If you need anything specific answer please ask, it's bugging me and I'm just wondering if it's a limitation of the Roku's hardware, but if it is what is it? It's nearly 3 times the price of my Pi and I really hoped to be able to fully direct play all my files just like I did with the Pi.

Best Answer

Answers